Opening Day Big Buck

7remmag

I figured I would share pics of my boy’s buck here, from this year’s Utah general season hunt. My boy tagged out opening day on a good buck. This is one of the most deceiving bucks I’ve ever seen on the hoof. He certainly did not disappoint when we got to our hands on him. Congrats son! Let’s do it again??

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

That thing is a T-O-A-D!!!!!
The mass alone would make him rank high in my book.
Well done my friend!
Zeke

Well, I can see what you're saying but if anyone knows big deer it's you and your 2 brothers!

Well done bro, well done.

Zeke

Great buck. Congrats! His body does make antlers look small. Had a nice racked 4 pt with a huge body on nephew's hunt but couldn't get a shot. Makes me really wonder how big rack was now!

Wow, that's a fatty for sure. Deep forks. On the hoof, he does not look as impressive.

Congrats to you both.

Wow that is crazy to see the field pic of him alive and then him dead on the ground with you and yer son! Totally understand the judging thing you were talking about! Bet you and yer boy were THRILLED walking up on that dude! What a STUD buck! Congrats!!!

That’s an amazing buck anywhere, but unbelievably big for a general unit! I know that I haven’t seen anything that big on a general unit for many years!

I figured I would share pics of my boy’s buck here, from this year’s Utah general season hunt. My boy tagged out opening day on a good buck. This is one of the most deceiving bucks I’ve ever seen on the hoof. He certainly did not disappoint when we got to our hands on him. Congrats son! Let’s do it again??

View attachment 124843

View attachment 124844

View attachment 124845
Just a little more to the story.
This is Trey’s 2nd buck. He has been by my side since he was 5 years old on deer hunts. During those years he has been with and we (my family) have killed some good bucks. In his first year that he could hunt (2 years ago) I mentored my tag to him. He shot this buck:

IMG_0317.png

When he drew his own tag this year ( the only tag we had) he and I talked about deer and what we could anticipate for this year’s hunt. To be honest our hopes were not too high. But we figured we would just go do our best and see what we could turn up.
I told him he could approach his hunting career in one of two ways; quantity or quality. He right then and there said he wanted to kill a big buck. At that time I didn’t have the heart to tell him it most likely won’t happen. But we would go hunt hard and see what happens.
My brother glasses this buck up that Trey tagged out on this year. He said he found what looked to be a good buck but couldn’t tell how big it really was. He thought it was a big heavy three point. He spotted it from a long ways off just before dark one evening.
Opening morning came and we were dissecting the area the buck called home. Then around 8am my brother once again caught a glimpse of the buck up and feeding.
It was game on then. Trey and I made the strenuous hike to get into position to make a play on the buck. Once we got into range I glassed where the buck was supposed to be and I caught hit head moving in a small opening in the trees. That’s when I noticed he was a 4 point. After that I got Trey in position and ready to roll.
It was a two wait for the buck to stand again. When he did Trey was locked and loaded. The big buck was slightly quartering away feeding unaware of the 195 grain bullet aimed at him. I coached Trey on where to hold. Trey asked if he was good. I gave him the go ahead. At the shot the buck lunged forward and started walking. It looked like the shot connected but o was wasn’t 100% sure. I had the phone on n spotting scope and I was watching everything unfold through my 15s. After the shot the buck walked slow around the hill. I was telling him to re-chamber another round and find the buck again. Trey found him again and fired a second shot. The big buck absorbed another 195 grain bullet. He then went into the trees and laid down. After rewatching the video it was confirmed that he had two bullets in him. After an hour and half wait I relocated the buck standing the trees again. I told Trey to make this one count. Just as he was about to shoot the big buck started walking around the ridge it was on. I hissed at Trey to lead him and put him down. The 3rd shot missed its mark just barely in front of the sick old buck. The buck actually laid down again right were the third shot hit the dirt.
Once Trey found him bedded in the shade I told him to relax and kill him this shot. Trey threaded the needle perfectly and made a great shot ending the volley of shots. The big buck tipped his head back and then rolled and slid down the mountain 10 yards. Trey connected on 3 of the 4 shots.
To say I was very ecstatic would be a complete understatement. It was awesome to see Trey keep his composure and follow what I was telling him with exactness. The big surprise is when we got to the buck and we both were at a loss of words on his true size. I am very happy that I was riding shotgun and Trey was the driver. Congrats son on getting your big buck??

An experience like that sealed the deal. Trey will be a big buck hunter for life and it might take him a good chunk of it to find something bigger. Great buck especially for only his second.
Well done young man and company!

Congrats to you and your son, 7mag! Awesome stuff!

If you don’t mind my asking, where did the first two shots hit and what bullet was being used ? That’s a long time for one to lay alive with two In em. I’m very glad for the favorable outcome. Cherish it !

Holy crap that buck has it all congratulations to you and your son! That’s a buck many of us will only dream of shooting one day. What did it score ? Out of curiosity if you don’t mind.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom