Opening day SUCCESS!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
52ee8538449a87f7.jpg

52ee856d53e997e4.jpg

Went out yesterday morning to try and locate a good ram. Didn't really have much hope that I would be able to with the wind and all but it turns out that if you get out there and put some leather on the ground you actually see critters! Didn't see anything until about 11:00am and then they seemed to be everywhere I went. Passed up a couple of very young rams that would have been excellent table fare but I really wanted a good one this year. Watched this guy feed over a hill and then cut out on an intercept course. When I got there I didn't see them where I expected. Looked back to where they crossed hilltop and saw the curl of horns. They had laid down almost on top of hill. Put a cactus in between me and them and snuck to within 40 yards. It was all pretty simple from there except the 4 mile hike with a very heavy pack thru some very unforgiving terrain!

Pack out was brutal. Cheap Walmart backpack didn't help matters. I'm in market for new pack after this one. Looking at Kuiu Icon series. Any thoughts on these?

For the money, the eberlestock J34 "all in one" is a great pack for the cost.
I have bought 2 of them used for $200 each. Gonna buy another one.

They fit our hunting perfect. Not the best for a big load, but, shrink down real nice for a hunting pack. Scabbard is best I have seen.

Congrats on a great Ram. I second the eblerystock packs. I have the x1a1 and love it. Carried a front and back leg as well as the neck meat off of a bull this last fall in one trip. Great packs

Thanks for the advice on packs. I'll check out the eberlestocks. Got a buddy that swears by the icon for heavy pack outs but I'm open for all suggestions.

I also have the Eberlestock J-34 "just one" and I highly recommend it. Its a great day pack that will pack a good load when needed.

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

Nice ram!

If you are interested, I am looking at selling my Eberlestock J34. It is used, but in good condition. I live in Roswell if you want to take a look at it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom