Oryx OIL hunt...First time here we come

hotairgypsy

First time posting of course here...we are so excited...draw results came back and I drew 6a elk and my other half drew oryx stallion ranch...so ecited but also nervous...I grew up hunting 6a 6c with the family so I have never hunted any where else..well we put in because I wanted to try some other areas but now i got to figure it out...Glad i have a few months to figure it all out. I was hoping once of us would have drawn a midseason tag so i could go up there earlier and just see where everyone camps and how it runs but we got the opening of the season sept 10-12...If anyone of you can offer any insight as to were campers camp and tips in how to be successful i would be appreciate it. I have gone back and read as many posted as far back as 2018 on this forum but i didnt see much as to where to park your camper...i know we are going to get info packets in time to fill in some of the blanks..I just want to be as prepared as possible...we are algo going to be hunting down a rifle for her...seems like one of the following 3 would be fine. 7mm, 3006, or a 308...Time for her to practice practice practice that million dollar shot.

Most people hunt Oryx similar to antelope, drive and glass. In some spots the yucca can be pretty thick, being able to gain some height for glassing can help, like having a step ladder in truck bed.

Lot of people park their camper/trailer just north of the gate 1/4-1/2 mile or so.
i was looking at google earth at that road and I saw a spot that looked different..i was guessing that is where they all are parking..Do you enter on highway 525...This blob is on 525 seems close to the gate on this road

20210422_194542.jpg

i was looking at google earth at that road and I saw a spot that looked different..i was guessing that is where they all are parking..Do you enter on highway 525...This blob is on 525 seems close to the gate on this road

View attachment 38067
It's been a few years since I've been down there but I recall people being much closer to the gate. You will get a packet from the Missle Range, they might give you suggestions in that. Yes it's 525.

From I 25, take the hwy 380 exit to San Antonio. Go approx 10 miles, turn south onto 525. Big green signs will tell you where the turn is.

You will park in line outside the gate on the road. They will check your info, then let everyone in to a parking area where they will do the safety meeting and go over the hunt rules then cut you loose.

They will send a packet via email that explains all of this.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom