OTC Barbary sheep quest

G

gwest_79363

Well I didn't draw a single tag I applied for this year so I bought an OTC Barbary tag. Yep I love hunting Barbary sheep that much that I've decided to go on a quest to find a Barbary in an OTC unit. So I am looking for help. I am looking for any info/rumors of Barbary in any OTC unit. I live in Clovis but am willing to drive anywhere for the fun of being out in the great outdoors. I will post my progress as I go. So what do you say guys? Anybody got any rumors they care to share?

"Go Big or Go Home!"

I heard a rumor of Largo Canyon, which is below farmington. Take 550 to Counsler, then there should be a county road to take the rest of the way. It is all mostly BLM land.

At one time there were some in the Canadian River Canyon south of Springer don't know if there still in there or not.Think you can access it from Mills GL

CC

Good luck on your quest. May also consider the leftover tag list.

We learned a new unit last year, son got a decent buck, doubt we would go back though.

Thanks for all the info so far. Can't wait to hunt all these areas!!

"Go Big or Go Home!"

Good Luck especially in 38. some migarate in and out but not to heavy but they exist. Luck is what it takes on otc barbary.. Canadian still holds but, pack repeling gear.. You will probably spend more money on gas, and wear out boots just trying to find them. I have done it with great luck twice and a lot of money spent also.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-13 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]South end of 38 , north of 37.There some there but its about being in the right spot right....
Largo Canyon hasn't had them since the 80s, Mt Taylor doesn't even have them any more even tho Compass finds em..... From time to time they wander off Laguna but count really count on that...

how has largo not had Barbary since the 80's? RioHuntNutt have you walked every mile of the 40 mile long largo canyon to say they are not there? if not why post lies? toneafterbone id like to chat with you if you don't mind. id like to share hot spots.

They are in the Largo "area". Co-worker turned me on to them in that general area. I was in his office and saw a picutre he had of about 20 together on a hill. I asked what he was doing down by Roswell and he said he was up by Cuba when he took that pic during last years elk hunt. He has since gone back and taken one. I am going to head out there and hunt them the next time I strike out on the draw.

My brother lives there in Aztec and daily services the pump jacks all along Largo. Daily! Now there may be some , I know Chris has found them , but Chris also lives there and other than being down south he is in that country 12 months a year looking for game.I have many times asked my brother about them and he always says it's not worth the price of fuel to go looking for hairy snipe.
As for the 80s comment , we I lived in Gallup for some 13 years and the country from Grants/Mt Taylor back to the 2 was our main area and the aoudad were hammered.Again yes ya may find some , but I don't in my mind believe you will.But best of luck to you for trying...No hard feelings now...

First post so bare with me. I’m a travel nurse from MT and been out looking for Barbary sheep. Yes this heat is brutal but it may be my only time spent in NM so I’ve gotta try. I leave early September back for MT. Any help would be appreciated. I have all my gear and willing to put boots on the ground. Even be willing to share some MT elk/deer info.

Best odds are in 34 to at least see them. They may not be retrievable but you should see them.
Social medic had kind of made things involved with hunting bad along with some good.

It’s a lot of work to find them and the thing is your can go to the same place 90 times and never see them and on 91th trip see 100. Same place and conditions. Just the way it is.

If you want one it can be done especially if you have a good friend to alternate drives and help with costs.
Word of advice you tel one person you’ve told 100 and I don’t care what because people love to talk especially about hunting secrets.

I appreciate the info. I don’t have any friends, family or relations down here in NM so it’s just my wife and I. We are hoping to get down to unit 34 in the next couple of week to check out the country. Thanks.

TPA to add what OCHO said. I did the OTC hunt back in Feb and came back empty handed. No Sign nor hair of them either. The last day of the hunt I spoke to a ranger that was down there who had seen them but i still didn't connect. 2 weeks later a friend of mine went down to the same area and got it done. Its pretty extreme terrain so be prepared and good luck!

Well I didn't draw a single tag I applied for this year so I bought an OTC Barbary tag. Yep I love hunting Barbary sheep that much that I've decided to go on a quest to find a Barbary in an OTC unit. So I am looking for help. I am looking for any info/rumors of Barbary in any OTC unit. I live in Clovis but am willing to drive anywhere for the fun of being out in the great outdoors. I will post my progress as I go. So what do you say guys? Anybody got any rumors they care to share?

"Go Big or Go Home!"
How did it go ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom