Out of state hunter

bassinhunter

Hello from New Mexico!! I'm new on the Idaho forum but not new to monster muleys. I'm looking to gather some information about possibly hunting idaho since I heard the draw hasn't happened there yet. I've applied for every animal in my home state of New Mexico and didn't draw a single tag. Nor did my wife and daughter (she's 10) I've been pissed off at the world for the last two days!! Anyway I got a call from a guy in Idaho that drew my favorite unit in nm and we got to talking and he said I should apply and learn a little about Idaho so here I am! I've got a ton of questions basically wanna know how the draw works for out of state people. Here in nm out of state gets a certain percentage of the tags. Also is the draw a lottery or do you need to build preference points like other states. When is the rut for elk? Here it's late September early oct. Wondering if it's the same in Idaho. Any information will be helpful. I'm going to download the hunting regulations and read up but I'm hoping some locals would be willing to help. Most of all would like to know what the best units to apply for are. I don't want to drive all that way and spend the money unless I'm going to draw a great unit. Hopefully that doesn't sound crappy but I'm not a rich guy and I'd like the best bang for my buck. I completely understand if you don't wanna help. A lot of people seem to turn their back to out of staters but I've never agreed with it and I have faith that a few down to earth guys might lend a hand. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Robert

I will take a shot at answering some of your questions. First off to enter the draw you have to buy a license ($154.75). No points in the draw which makes it nice for the new comer like you. The rut for elk tends to be the end of September and most units have an archery hunt open. And most of those tags are available over the counter, "A" tags. I would hesitate to say that you will draw a "great' unit. As the most popular hunts are very low odds of drawing. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/controlledHunts/lookupOdds.cfm It might take a few trips north to learn but it is doable. Not of 180 bucks and 350 Bulls running around Idaho these days, so a lot depends on what kind of animals you are looking for. Idaho did lower the age to hunt Big game this year down to 10, but it won't take affect till after the draw. The price for youth mentored tags and license are great. Good luck.

DZ

Thanks for the heads up dz! I think I'm good with applying for a unit that has low odds of getting drawn but higher kill odds if you do draw. Or even an area with big bulls and low draw odds. Would make it worthwhile if I didn't draw. Thanks again

Do you want to hunt archery or rifle? Keep a heads up for some of the Units that have OHV restrictions. The more restriction possibly less pressure. Oh and just a heads up, Idaho is very steep and rough country. Get in the possible shape you can. Be prepared for weather changes. This year there was snow at the end of archery season up high.

Bubba

Hello and welcome. I have hunted Idaho for the last 20 years and I have made it priority to know as much as I can about the regulations. I would have to say that the most read book in my life is the Idaho fish and game regulations. If I can't answer your questions by memory, I know exactly where to find it.
First thing: No Preference Points!!! You have the same chance as the non-resisidents that apply for that hunt. So every year I cannot count on drawing a tag like other states.
The elk rut: I have had the elk rutting in late August to the middle of October, but it totally depends on the weather and people. You can get into some great elk hunting in general units as long as those two things are to your advantage.
Best units to apply for are very hard to draw, but since you are new, you might have the "beginners luck". I recommend Hunt# 2039 for elk. Good luck with that! Don't know a good deer unit; I would guess that Idaho has lost 95% of the deer in the last 30 to 40 years, most likely more. And the fish and game act like nothing has happened. Idaho does have trophy deer, but they few and far between. If I could afford it, I would put in the draw for New Mexico and Arizona along with the other states that I put in for.
If you are going to hunt Idaho, you have to have the attitude of most of the residents. And that would be: that they don't care about the maturity of the deer or the amount of people they see. All they care about is their right to hunt every year. Most of the people I see in the mountains are during the hunt or they are riding their atv.
I have heard people saying that Idaho is turning into a predator state. I can confirm that because I have incidentally killed just as many mountain lions as I have deer in the last 7 or 8 years.
And that explains my signature.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Honestly, in my opinion, Idaho has something for everyone. Just behind only Montana as far as opportunity goes, since WY is cutting so many tags.

Meat hunter? Easy. You can fill your tag opening day in an hour just outside of Boise.

Horns? Apply for the dream hunts (<10%). When you don't draw and are sick of sitting on the sidelines, pick a unit and start hunting it every year. Find the honey holes and you will find what you are after. Robby Denning is proof of that, if you don't follow him, you should. He's taken numerous 170+ deer in OTC units.

Plenty of huntable elk (no the wolves haven't eaten even close to all of them, even if it's "not what it used to be"). If you can't find any, get in better shape and hike harder or get better at glassing.

Yeah, we have plenty of predators too. Buy some tags and shoot a handful. But wolves and cats don't really eat grass, bark or leaves... Sooooo there must be a few elk and deer around.

>Honestly, in my opinion, Idaho has
>something for everyone. Just behind
>only Montana as far as
>opportunity goes, since WY is
>cutting so many tags.
>
>Meat hunter? Easy. You can fill
>your tag opening day in
>an hour just outside of
>Boise.
>
>Horns? Apply for the dream hunts
>(<10%). When you don't draw
>and are sick of sitting
>on the sidelines, pick a
>unit and start hunting it
>every year. Find the honey
>holes and you will find
>what you are after. Robby
>Denning is proof of that,
>if you don't follow him,
>you should. He's taken numerous
>170+ deer in OTC units.
>
>
>Plenty of huntable elk (no the
>wolves haven't eaten even close
>to all of them, even
>if it's "not what it
>used to be"). If you
>can't find any, get in
>better shape and hike harder
>or get better at glassing.
>
>
>Yeah, we have plenty of predators
>too. Buy some tags and
>shoot a handful. But wolves
>and cats don't really eat
>grass, bark or leaves... Sooooo
>there must be a few
>elk and deer around.

+1

If you are only looking for another western states dream tag, put up your money and take your chance, but no BP for you.

Thanks for everyone's input. All of it is appreciated. I understand about getting in shape and steep country. I've been hunting free range Barbary sheep in south eastern New Mexico and the first year it about broke me. Thought I was a tough guy until being humbled. The next near I worked hard to be ready (and lightened the hell out of my pack) I think I'm after one of the dream hunts. Mostly because if I'm truely only after meat then I'd stay in nm and buy a 400 dollar cow tag on a private ranch. But I'm more about the challenge and I get some sort of sick jolly from working my arse off and hoping it pays off. If any of us think we do it for the meat I think we are kidding outselves. Granted the meat is awesome and ill never leave a kibble in the field but if we add up the costs of fuel ammo guns binos and all the other crap we have to have most would be better off buying a cow. Just my opinion. So with that being said what units would be considered dream units? You can pm me if anyone doesn't want to put that info on a chat forum. I appreciate all the info and I can assure you I'd be willing to help anyone out in New Mexico my home state. Thanks rob

Don't know a good
>deer unit; I would guess
>that Idaho has lost 95%
>of the deer in the
>last 30 to 40 years,
>most likely more. And the
>fish and game act like
>nothing has happened. Idaho does
>have trophy deer

I would take that advice to heart (sarcasm). Apparently he hasn't noticed the last three extremely mild winters and deer populations should be good this year. So since Idaho has lost 95% of their deer population that means each unit used to have around 50,000 deer. I bet that was even below carry capacity (sarcasm). Idaho has great deer hunting, you just have to work at it. Lots of negative people here. Welcome to Idaho.

"But I'm more about the challenge and I get some sort of sick jolly from working my arse off and hoping it pays off. If any of us think we do it for the meat I think we are kidding outselves. Granted the meat is awesome and ill never leave a kibble in the field but if we add up the costs of fuel ammo guns binos and all the other crap we have to have most would be better off buying a cow."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PM Sent

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I know what you mean about those Barbary in southeast N.M.. Reminded me of the steep hunting in the Middle Fork of the Salmon here in Idaho. Other than here I had to hike up and pack down there I hiked down and packed up. Both very physically challenging. Like most people say on here if you are willing to work you should have a very good time here in Idaho. I will P.M. you some info.

Hey Robert, sorry to hear about your draw in NM. What part are you from? I am from Silver City, but now live in Washington State. I applied for deer and antelope in ID last year, but didn't get drawn. I will apply again this year. I have a friend from Dixon, NM who lives in ID and gives me advice on units. I am hoping to learn more about ID this year. Even if I don't get drawn for a controlled hunt, I hope to hunt a general hunt since I have to buy a license anyway. It takes me about four hours to get to Idaho from where I live. Good luck!

Just got to unit 1 today. Real scouting starts tomorrow
But my first 5 min off pavement today ran into a 300 lb plus chocolate phase blackie. Just check out Google Earth and hit the road. What have you got to lose?

Plenty of elk left in the state, and decent deer hunting. My 2013 elk.

9654dan_with_2013_bull1.jpg

My 2013 deer, not big but an opportunity deer, and I like the meat. I was helping a friend (on my right) on his sheep hunt.

2808deermikeandi.jpg

Some shots of elk and sheep from that trip (the elk were legal bulls in an OTC area for bow). Most are from my video camera, so, not the best quality. We spent 17 days chasing sheep.

8899big_ram_1-2.jpg

1342bull_2_snapshot_1.jpg

9706bull_4_snapshot_1.jpg

5219bull_5_snapshot3-1.jpg

9720elk_snapsho3t.jpg

My buddies LE Idaho bull I called in for him a couple days after getting my bull out of the mountains. Muzzleloader 2013.

8064bens_bull2.jpg

My 2012 Bull.

14282012bull.jpg

My point is, Idaho is a BIG state full of public land. It has plenty of areas and opportunities. You can hunt the thick timber of the northern and north central areas, to the semi-open but steep of the central, to the plains and foothills of the southern. Some areas have had predation and habitat problems. But, most haven't. Contact me if you want.

www.hunthardcore.com

Robert, the "Dream Tags" mentioned are a state sponsored raffle where you can hunt any open unit for that species.

Get on the Idaho Game and fish web site to buy tickets, and see draw odds.

Idaho is like NM in that there are no PPs. Idaho gives out "up to 10% of their tags" to non-residents. You go into the same draw as residents BUT if the 10% gets filled even though there are more tags left, you CAN'T draw if you're a non-resident.

With their late application deadline, Idaho is a great state to try to pull that last minute tag.

And as was said earlier, Idaho is a good state to pick a unit, learn it and be successful over time because if you learn an OTC unit, you can hunt it every year, guaranteed.

North of Riggins has awesome whitetail hunting, if you want to give it a shot. Probably better odds of a nice whitey buck than a nice muley. Plus always the opportunity for a bear or wolf. SE idaho still has some nice mule deer, also. You have to go high and earn them (same as everywhere, right?).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom