Outfitter help

M

mesquitehunter

I'm an Az resident looking to do some Blacktail hunting in OR. I would like some recomendations on guides and outfitters. Any help will be appreciated.

keep in mind there are several great areas to hunt and only a few that will provide big blacktails that are true blacktails. You have a PM....

There's really no need for an outfitter for this area in Oregon. Get the general season tag, get a map of the Scotts Mills/Siverton area and you will find some big bucks. I have friends that own Christmas tree farms who are always looking for hunters that are considerate of their last to hunt the boogers. They kill their seedlings and want them gone off the property. PM me and I can get you the name of a guy that has 1500 acres. My bro-inlaws, brother killed a NICE 4X5 this past year over there...There is camping avialble within 10 miles of the property at Silvercreek Fall Horse Camp, Howards Creek horse camp ground I think are the names.

muleyman

You are correct Muleyman... I think a guy can do very well with the right weather and a tag for a good unit. What caliber of buck are you seeing in those tree farms? I hunt around where I live because of the possibility of some real giants...At least ss far as blacktails go... I believe there are lots of areas with much higher animal densities (thanks to all the Cougars). If I could find a higher density with good genetics I would like to explore other possibilities...

Thank you for the information.

3Fletch

With being private ground, they seem to be pushed down to the tree farms outside of Silverton and Scotts Mills after the first week of rifle. The biggest we saw this past year was two that maybe went 125-130. I hunted our property in E. Oregon this year for deer so I didnt take him! I will get some pics of the deer taken around there and post them. My bro-inlaw is the guy I know who hunts up there every weekend during the season and does very well most years.

We have a BIG 5X5 on our property now (outside of Molalla) that I'm hoping next year will make the books. I've watched and fed him for 3yrs now. We have 7 old apple trees at the bottom of our land that seem to attract deer every year and thats when I see him just about everyday. Hopefully the yotes or poachers dont get him first!

muleyman

I hear you, on the yotes and poachers.... We have a huge cougar problem down here. The bucks in our area are a bit bigger than some areas. The buck I got this year gross scored 137, I saw one that would go about 145, after I got mine and was helping another guy. I have one on the wall that scores in the 180's gross (true blacktail) and another one I have yet to mount that scores 164. My dad has taken several in the 160's and several over 140. It is getting harder and harder to find the big guys especially with all the hunting pressure we are seeing now days...

Back
Top Bottom