Over 3000 Collisions and $1.4 Million

Yesterday From Dushesne To Fruitland Looked Like A Slaughter Zone!

Some of These Deer Were Hit So Hard The Basically Vaporized/Burgered Them With Nothing Left But Some Hide!

A SPLATTER Trail!

We Don't Have Enough Deer To Be Losing Them In These Kinda Numbers!

Some of These Deer Were Hit So Hard The Basically Vaporized/Burgered Them With Nothing Left But Some Hide!

A SPLATTER Trail!

Too many deleted Duramaxes flying down the road!

A SPLATTER Trail!

This is a MAJOR FACTOR to our declining deer numbers.

I counted 14 fairly fresh deer killed from the bottom of Provo canyon to the airport in Heber, how many were pregnant with twins??

Obviously we need lower speed limits, speed governors on all vehicles, deer warning whistles, proximity alarms if they get too close to the road, more state funded studies, and mandatory reporting. Include them in harvest limits. If you kill a deer with your vehicle, no deer tag for you in the Fall!!

Last edited:

A SPLATTER Trail!

It really is unbelievable through there. Never seen so many road kills and it has been all winter.

If people would look up from their phone while driving they might realize that a deer is about to walk out in front of them while their going 80!

I also have a theory that semi trucks with bull bars don’t attempt to avoid deer they just yell yippee ki yay as they vaporize deer with the cruise control still on:ROFLMAO:

Is good news allowed here? $11 sounds like a bargain. A pitcher of a pretty good bull in the article.

“The Colorado Department of Transportation and contractor Ralph L. Wadsworth Construction Co. will resume construction of wildlife infrastructure this spring on U.S. Highway 160 and Colorado Highway 151 near Chimney Rock National Monument and Lake Capote, CDOT announced this week.

Efforts to build a wildlife underpass and overpass began in March, spanning a stretch of highway within a migratory corridor for mule deer and elk about 13 miles west of Pagosa Springs and 37 miles east of Durango.

In early April, crews will focus on the overpass. Concrete forms were set over the highway in fall, and crews will work to complete sidewalls and slopes for animal access.

“Wildlife-vehicle collisions make up more than 60% of crashes in this area,” said CODT Regional Transportation Director Julie Constan. “This $11.3 dollar project is expected to reduce those collisions by at least 80%.”

CDOT has already photographed animals using the underpass.

At the intersection of Colorado 151, crews placed a deer guard, improved turn lanes, extended passing lanes and repaved U.S. 160.”

Is good news allowed here? $11 sounds like a bargain. A pitcher of a pretty good bull in the article.

“The Colorado Department of Transportation and contractor Ralph L. Wadsworth Construction Co. will resume construction of wildlife infrastructure this spring on U.S. Highway 160 and Colorado Highway 151 near Chimney Rock National Monument and Lake Capote, CDOT announced this week.

Efforts to build a wildlife underpass and overpass began in March, spanning a stretch of highway within a migratory corridor for mule deer and elk about 13 miles west of Pagosa Springs and 37 miles east of Durango.

In early April, crews will focus on the overpass. Concrete forms were set over the highway in fall, and crews will work to complete sidewalls and slopes for animal access.

“Wildlife-vehicle collisions make up more than 60% of crashes in this area,” said CODT Regional Transportation Director Julie Constan. “This $11.3 dollar project is expected to reduce those collisions by at least 80%.”

At the intersection of Colorado 151, crews placed a deer guard, improved turn lanes, extended passing lanes and repaved U.S. 160.”

#utah
#utah.gov
#utahdwr
#payattentionutah

If people would look up from their phone while driving they might realize that a deer is about to walk out in front of them while their going 80!

I also have a theory that semi trucks with bull bars don’t attempt to avoid deer they just yell yippee ki yay as they vaporize deer with the cruise control still on:ROFLMAO:
That’s only part of it. Of the half dozen or so deer I’ve hit, all but 1 hit me.

One thing that could be done immediately is to mow the damn shoulders so you would at least have a split second to react.:mad:

I agree on the truckers. My wife narrowly avoided a rolling semi a couple of weeks ago. Dumb ass going 65 in a snowstorm went right into a herd of elk that had the road completely blocked (my wife was stopping for them). One of the several elk he killed took out the steering and he rolled it into the embankment. Got a ride in the ambulance for his ignorance.

The big flashing signs warning of wildlife on the highway aren’t enough I guess.

Last edited:
I would dare estimate the majority of these animals are killing during winter, are does and are pregnant, which makes that 3000 more like 5000 or more.
Additionally, there are a lot of deer that are injured that later die out of sight from the road. I've hit 2 deer while only going about 20 miles per hour, but since they didn't do much damage to the car and they left the roadside, I didn't report it. But, on one, I found enough blood, hair and bone fragments on the bumper and grill the next morning to think it didn't survive the night.

Seems like we might be able to form a partnership with auto insurance companies to get fencing and or tunnels/ overpasses built. save's our deer, save's their bottom line.

I believe the Gov is commuting back and forth to Fairview, if so he sees first hand the carnage

It doesn't help matters much that the salt they crave is on the sides of the roads all winter.
Supposedly they try not to use salt in the areas that have been identified as high wildlife activity area. I know they don't used salt on Sanpete County roads.

I know exactly where that is. I have a good friend who is an outfitter & he lives right near there on the Piedra R.

The worst deer carnage I've seen was along some highway in TX when my wife & I drove to AZ from NJ in Jan 1962. The roadside was literally littered with dozens of dead deer, including many bucks. I was driving my '56 Ford Vic & towing my '56 T-bird, so I was glad we were on it during daylight.

Last edited:
Fences and under/overpasses are what work. Do it now. Pony up the $$ and git 'er done. It may not be the cure-all, but it's the best option available at this time. Habitat projects are great, but many of those will take decades before herd improvement is seen. Flashing neon signs help a bit, but not to the trucker who wants to get home. Those cowcatchers on the front aren't there for aesthetics. I love the idea of insurance companies pitching in. Seems funny they never advance that concept. Because you know they're aware of it. Unless of course they value money more than people's lives (Hmmm...). Many underpasses are already available; they just need some improvements to accommodate critters.

And speaking of Utah...

I don't recall exactly where on US89 it happened, but sometime in 1990s a co-worker of my wife's & his family were heading home to AZ at night in a flat-front van. They hit a bull elk. It came thru the windshield, & one antler tine penetrated the guys head, killing him instantly. The van veered off the road & crashed. The lady & two kids survived but sustained some nasty bad injuries.

That’s only part of it. Of the half dozen or so deer I’ve hit, all but 1 hit me.

One thing that could be done immediately is to mow the damn shoulders so you would at least have a split second to react.:mad:

I agree on the truckers. My wife narrowly avoided a rolling semi a couple of weeks ago. Dumb ass going 65 in a snowstorm went right into a herd of elk that had the road completely blocked (my wife was stopping for them). One of the several elk he killed took out the steering and he rolled it into the embankment. Got a ride in the ambulance for his ignorance.

The big flashing signs warning of wildlife on the highway aren’t enough I guess.
When I lived at Vallecito Lake in Colo., dodging deer & elk during the winter was considered routine. Both my wife & I had several close calls but never had a direct hit. She had the most encounters because she worked in Durango for two winters. She drove a perilous gauntlet every weekday. I had one buck bang into the right fender of my truck, but there was no damage.

My son wasn't quite as lucky in the 1980s when he was living out near Hesperus on #160. His Nissan PU sustained $6K damage with a dead-center hit on mule deer doe.

That wildlife crossing is right there at chimney rock. They’re also installing high fences for a few miles. After that article I’m sure there will be 20 trail cams there next year.

I drove all the back roads on the west slope in the middle of the night chasing HS sports. Our most expensive shot was to my wifes aluminum F150. Ever try to fix the dents in a beer can?

The worst used to be dry crick basin, followed by the road into Montrose. But there aren’t near as many deer as there used to be in 70 and they high fenced that stretch of 550.

Fences and under/overpasses are what work. Do it now. Pony up the $$ and git 'er done. It may not be the cure-all, but it's the best option available at this time. Habitat projects are great, but many of those will take decades before herd improvement is seen. Flashing neon signs help a bit, but not to the trucker who wants to get home. Those cowcatchers on the front aren't there for aesthetics. I love the idea of insurance companies pitching in. Seems funny they never advance that concept. Because you know they're aware of it. Unless of course they value money more than people's lives (Hmmm...). Many underpasses are already available; they just need some improvements to accommodate critters.

There is some rumblings in other states about partnering with insurance companies not sure if that means they tack on a fee, or how it works

That wildlife crossing is right there at chimney rock. They’re also installing high fences for a few miles. After that article I’m sure there will be 20 trail cams there next year.

I drove all the back roads on the west slope in the middle of the night chasing HS sports. Our most expensive shot was to my wifes aluminum F150. Ever try to fix the dents in a beer can?

The worst used to be dry crick basin, followed by the road into Montrose. But there aren’t near as many deer as there used to be in 70 and they high fenced that stretch of 550.

I was playing b ball in against Morgan and dad and mom hit a deer in the canyon with our station wagon.

We went up and towed it home(took radiator)

Dad took a sledge to the front. He hated that car and wanted to be sure it was totalled.????

Only larger critter I've taken out happened when I was driving some obscure road in western Colo. near the Utah border. I just don't recall where or why I was on it, but It might not have been too far from you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I erased a large bobcat. I stopped & went back, but it was too mangled & bloody to salvage. So I just dragged it off the road.

Last edited:
Only larger critter I've taken out happened when I was driving some obscure road in eastern Colo. near the Utah border. I just don't recall where or why I was on it, but It might not have been too far from you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I erased a large bobcat. I stopped & went back, but it was too mangled & bloody to salvage. So I just dragged it off the road.
Wouldn't eastern CO be much closer to Kansas

Wouldn't eastern CO be much closer to Kansas
Whoops. I meant western!! Good catch. I fixed it.

sorry.gif

And speaking of Utah...

I don't recall exactly where on US89 it happened, but sometime in 1990s a co-worker of my wife's & his family were heading home to AZ at night in a flat-front van. They hit a bull elk. It came thru the windshield, & one antler tine penetrated the guys head, killing him instantly. The van veered off the road & crashed. The lady & two kids survived but sustained some nasty bad injuries.
I was on scene right after a motorcyclist hit a bull elk a mile east of the main gate to Holloman AFB in Alamogordo, NM. Killed them both. What a mess.

Do they allow people to pick up road kill for consumption in your States? General question to all.

I was on scene right after a motorcyclist hit a bull elk a mile east of the main gate to Holloman AFB in Alamogordo, NM. Killed them both. What a mess.

Do they allow people to pick up road kill for consumption in your States? General question to all.
I didn't recheck, but I think one needs to get a permit issued here in AZ.

Here in Texas it is not uncommon. Normal practice is notify game warden. Often he will meet you and look at the animal. My experience he will usually ask if you are going to process yourself or have it processed. He will hand you his business card or piece of stationary with his number on it and note that you can provide to the processor since the deer is not tagged.

Since CWD it has become a little more complicated. Many of the CWD samples biologists are taking are coming off fresh road kill. Depending on the warden he may say you have to wait for biologist or he takes to biologist.

Here in Texas it is not uncommon. Normal practice is notify game warden. Often he will meet you and look at the animal. My experience he will usually ask if you are going to process yourself or have it processed. He will hand you his business card or piece of stationary with his number on it and note that you can provide to the processor since the deer is not tagged.

Since CWD it has become a little more complicated. Many of the CWD samples biologists are taking are coming off fresh road kill. Depending on the warden he may say you have to wait for biologist or he takes to biologist.
Interesting thanks. I’ve been fortunate to get several road kill oryx and as you stated the Game Warden had to be called first. Normally here they don’t want to get out of bed and mess with road kill so they pass it on to whomever calls them first.

Interesting thanks. I’ve been fortunate to get several road kill oryx and as you stated the Game Warden had to be called first. Normally here they don’t want to get out of bed and mess with road kill so they pass it on to whomever calls them first.
The exact wording of AZ's law...

17-319. Big game animals; carcasses; possession and transportation; salvage permit; requirements; violation; classification

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, the carcass of a big game animal may be possessed and transported if a peace officer or an authorized employee of the department issues a big game salvage permit. A big game salvage permit is not transferable and may be issued only as follows:

1. If the big game animal has been killed as a result of an accidental collision with a motor vehicle, to the driver of the motor vehicle or to an individual wishing to possess the carcass.

2. If the big game animal is euthanized by a peace officer or authorized employee of the department as a result of injuries sustained by an accidental collision with a motor vehicle, to the driver of the motor vehicle or to an individual wishing to possess the carcass.

3. If the big game animal died as a result of natural causes, to the individual who reports the big game animal carcass.

4. If the big game animal subsequently dies or is euthanized by a peace officer or authorized employee of the department as the result of an injury sustained from natural causes, to the individual who reports the injured big game animal.

And now you know why steps are being taken to reduce deer populations.

And you wondered why they are issuing doe tags in areas that are below objective. Now you know.

Whitetail numbers have been reduced by 60% in my state. But it’s never stated that’s the reason they are doing it.

This is a MAJOR FACTOR to our declining deer numbers.

I counted 14 fairly fresh deer killed from the bottom of Provo canyon to the airport in Heber, how many were pregnant with twins??
According to Covy Jones….pregnancy rate is around 90%
Flustered is a word that describes me right now. All the new subdivisions, homes, new roadways, more people more cars .etc.
Utah deer are screwed unless we find an aggressive way to combat the human population growth and expansion in Utah. Seriously! There is SIGNIFICANT amount of fencing, wildlife overpasses that NEED to be built. Like yesterday!

According to Covy Jones….pregnancy rate is around 90%
Flustered is a word that describes me right now. All the new subdivisions, homes, new roadways, more people more cars .etc.
Utah deer are screwed unless we find an aggressive way to combat the human population growth and expansion in Utah. Seriously! There is SIGNIFICANT amount of fencing, wildlife overpasses that NEED to be built. Like yesterday!
I agree on the help needed on our roadways and corridors, but unfortunately urban spawl is going to continue and saving deer are the last thing on developers agendas.

About 3 weeks ago the family and I drove from Price to Spanish Fork and we counted 27 dead animals. I do know that the DWR and contractors clean up carcasses every once in a while. We need a lot more wildlife overpasses in this state.

About 3 weeks ago the family and I drove from Price to Spanish Fork and we counted 27 dead animals. I do know that the DWR and contractors clean up carcasses every once in a while. We need a lot more wildlife overpasses in this state.
We cannot even begin to wrap our heads around the highway mortality numbers......not to even mention the lost crop of fawns inside these dead does.

Don’t forget…..deer and elk kill a hell of a lot more people around here than bears and lions do.

This is a rare win-win opportunity. No excuse for not getting to work.

Sure there is an excuse. There's no money.

"The fund, isn't for the herds."

Hossblur 3/21/22

9000 comments……15 opposed. This looks like private funds, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who could find the money in the federal budget in 5 minutes.

9000 comments……15 opposed. This looks like private funds, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who could find the money in the federal budget in 5 minutes.

Their "funds" are for the herds. Not so much for Utah.

I agree on the help needed on our roadways and corridors, but unfortunately urban spawl is going to continue and saving deer are the last thing on developers agendas.
Yes urban sprawl will continue but I’d like to see Utah be more proactive and be at the front of the pack with addressing this issue. It sounds like we are behind the curve ball.

Yes all wildlife will benefit but I bet California would not do thus for any other wildlife if not for the lions.

Yes all wildlife will benefit but I bet California would not do thus for any other wildlife if not for the lions.
Easy enough - explain that there ain’t no lions without deer. Unfortunately that doesn’t justify the necessity of hunters.

We can’t let the path of least resistance be to kill everything, but that looks like at least part of the solution.:(

Last edited:
CDOT Region 5 (my ‘hood, SW Colorado) had 2171 “roadkill” vehicle collisions last year.

Of the dozen or so deer my family and I have run over in the last 10 or 15 years, ZERO were reported to CDOT (self recovery on the 3 that disabled vehicles).

CPW reminds motorists to keep watchful eye for wildlife on roadways

9eda83ec-2562-e3d2-525d-6be760703a43.jpg
CPW reminds drivers to keep an eye out for wildlife such as mule deer when traveling.
MONTROSE, Colo. – As big game animals begin to migrate from wintering grounds to summer areas, Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds motorists to be aware of wildlife on and near roadways.

“Spring migrations can result in motorists being surprised when animals are seen in places they haven’t been spotted regularly this winter,” said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rachel Sralla. “Watch closely for animals with young ones in tow who may lag a few seconds behind the adults. Our vigilance will help them return safely to higher elevations where they will fawn or calve and then raise their young over the summer months.”

It is most common for collisions with wildlife to happen at dawn and dusk when visibility is low. During these times, it is especially important for drivers to remain vigilant in obeying speed limits and keeping both eyes on the road and its shoulders.

Region 5 of the Colorado Department of Transportation in southwest Colorado recorded 2,171 reported roadkill collisions in 2021, which is the most in any region of the state. That figure does not include animals that may have been hit by motorists and either injured or later died of injuries away from roadways.

According to transportation studies, motor vehicle accidents involving wildlife rank as the third leading cause for crashes behind speeding and inattentive driving. These statistics include severe property damage, injuries and fatalities.

Sralla reminds drivers to not only watch for wildlife on highways but also on city streets.

“Deer move across our minor arterial roads all the time, and the best way to protect wildlife on the roads is to keep to the speed limit and keep our eyes up,” she said.

Remember These Tips
While some collisions may be unavoidable, motorists can reduce the likelihood of an accident by taking the following precautions:
  • Slow Down! Driving more slowly increases reaction time and reduces the chance of a collision.
  • Stay Alert while driving at dusk and dawn. This is when many of Colorado's wildlife are the most active and are likely to be crossing roadways.
  • Scan Ahead and watch for movement along roadsides. When driving at night, watch for shining eyes in headlights. Always look and be prepared for more than one animal.
  • Obey traffic signs and watch for wildlife warning signs.
For more information on how to avoid wildlife collisions, go to: https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/AvoidWildlifeCollisions.aspx.

Last edited:
There has to be physical barriers and diversions to save wildlife along roadways. Too many people go brain dead when they get behind the wheel, especially on freeways.
The death of a prominent citizen caused by a collision involving wildlife would speed up barriers and diversions. The “Government” doesn’t really care about people until something bad happens to one of their own.

Wow! Three to five thousand big game being hit and killed by vehicles. The only positive thing I read was that out of all the accidents on six people were killed now one person being killed is too many but I would have thought it would be a lot more. It was said that the animals were just vaporized so are these being hit by semi’s? I get on my family every fall to watch for deer during the rut in our area. I just told them NOT SWERVE JUST HOLD THE STEERING WHEEL TIGHTLY WITH BOTH HANDS WHILE GETTING ON THE BRAKES AND JUST HIT THE DEER! This started after I heard of a woman that was driving down 55/70 and she swerved to miss a deer went through the ditch between the set of lanes and hit a semi and bursted into flames! How do you guys think this problem can be fixed? Would it be fencing, over passes for the animals or setting speed limits to lower speeds to avoid the inter action?

what say you?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom