Overlooking sheds

bonepicker

Very Active Member
On my last trip out, I was walking along and I walked around the outside of this tree, thinking to myself "man, there should be a horn under there", but I saw nothing. I took about 10 more steps and heard some cranes flying over and I turned to look and there underneath the same tree, was a white antler. I don't know how I could have missed it! Missing a brown is easier but missing a white when you are actually looking seems almost impossible. But I did it, and that takes real skill :)

What about you guys? Do you know of horns you've missed? Obviously, we've all missed dozens (maybe hundreds?) of antlers but it's kind of sobering when you realize that you missed an easy antler.

Once last year my buddy and I were shed hunting in patchy snow. I walked up a small drainage and about 15 minutes later my buddy came up the same drainage and found a little two point that was right beside my boot track. I almost stepped on it.
A different buddy of mine stepped over a nice browny 4 point in the snow and I was right behind him and almost stepped over it when I saw it.
My shed dog once was running around and kicked up a nice 3 point which I heard clatter in the rocks. I investigated the unmistakable sound and found the horn.
On another day me and my buddy passed some sagebrush in the snow and my dog dug up a 4 point under a sage brush about 5 feet from us. I didn't see if any of it was sticking out or if all of it was buried.
You can't get them all. fatrooster.

There are some days that I am on the ball Like I am spotting antlers from 100 yards and there are some days that I only find antlers when I pretty much kick them when I am walking. I hope this year I don't overlook sheds.

I started taking my daughter shed hunting when she was 7 years old and she would just follow me and being so short she would find antlers that I almost stepped on she would say "dad you walked right by this horn". this would happen 2 or 3 times in a day.to this day when I'm walking in the sage brush I will constanly take a quick glance down at my feet to see if there are any I missed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom