Overwhelmed by Colorado Deer

Trophy_Taker

During last years Utah general deer hunt my father, brother-in-law and I decided we have had our fill of Utah?s general season. We decided that we would start building points for a Colorado hunt 3-4 years down the road. I have spent many hours researching Colorado deer hunts and am more confused than ever.
Our concerns are public access, hunting an area containing 180? + bucks, and accessibility to hunting areas without horses. How would you advise we go about picking a GMU and season? We don't want to invest years of waiting and money to build points and have the result be a hunt mirroring Utah?s orange infested 2-point slaughter.

I hate to be a pessimist, but what makes you think it is different here in CO? Unless you get WAY back in the woods, be prepared for some company!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-08 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]Colorado is known as the heaviest hunted state there is ,especially on public land.
If you are looking for a 180 class deer ,save your points and your money,for you will probably looking at private property.There are a few big muleys on public land but they are hard to find.I hunt Colorado every year and have not saw a deer of that class in twenty years on public land.
If your looking for a nice hunt in some awsome country ,then your looking in the right place.

Easily accessible public land, light crowds, only 3-4pts, and 180" bucks together is unrealiztic. Something has to give. Any unit in the state can produce a 180 buck, but with only 3-4pts you are most likely either going to be packing in, or paying to hunt private land. Or keep waiting and building points. Or lower your standards. You can't have it all unfortunately.

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/ because the most important piece of equipment you own is YOU!

http://www.sitkagear.com/ Turning clothing into gear.

Okay let me re-word here. I've hunted mule deer a long time and understand what you guys are saying. Let me put it this way. I want to hunt an area where a handful of 180" are taken each year on public land. Not a unit where you have a 50/50 chance of shooting at one. I understand through research that Colorado is heavily hunted much like Utah's general hunt but anticipate that there are areas with more bucks than Utah generally has. We are looking for a hunt similar to Utah?s middle class limited entry units (Vernon, Book Cliffs, San Juan, etc.) I guess the question is do you have to be on private property or have 10+ points for that type of hunt in Colorado?

Many 3rd season hunts would be what your after. Likly see lots of deer and a chance of a 180 class deer. PM me and I'll give you a couple units to look at.

Growing up and hunting in Utah for 20 years of my life I can understand what you are saying. I now live in CO and had the same desires as you. Just getting started with the whole points thing, I think you will be investing 7-8 years worth of points in order to get into an area that I believe you are looking for. That being said I do feel that overall CO manages their deer 1000X better than Utah. Huge bucks are found in every unit but not necessarily any easier to find than anywhere in Utah. I never shot anything bigger than a small 4 point in Utah in 20 years, I shot a 198" buck my first year in CO using 5 preference points.

TT,

I am no Colorado pro by a long shot, but I live in Utard and know what you are saying. Most any unit would be better than 'tardville.

I think marley is giving you some good advice. I would take any undersubscribed Colorado tag over any Utah general season tag. I think Colorado has less hunters? I do know they are broke down into several hunts and I know they have more deer. 180 will be tough, but doable. It will take some luck, research, and scouting. Your odds of 180 will be higher than Utah. IMO.

I have been ripped on about vouchers, but who cares, I am taking advantage of them as long as they exist. That might be an option as well? I am running low on time and health. I am hunting Colorado deer every chance I get.

Having grown up in Utah and hunted there as a NR the last few years I can sympathize. I'm skipping Utah this year and don't really look forward to coming back for deer unless it's a LE hunt or is just to spend time with dad.

CO...Less deer hunters overall, and those are spread over 2 or 3 rifle seasons. Keep in mind you'll be hunting with elk hunters too. Point being that it might look worse than it really is if you're just counting orange dots.

There are lots of units that come to mind where a 180" buck is a real possibility, but as has been said it's going to take some luck as well. Even on private land a 160" buck is much more realistic in most units.

Hopefully you get some good info from the guys who pm'd you. If you want to, PM me and I'll see if I can add anything.

I appreciate all the comments and information. Any other comments or information about Colorado units to look further into or to avoid is appreciated.

PM's sent.

TT

I think I know what you're after. We all want (It all) but it doesn't exist.
Choose your (DEER) unit by looking at the (ELK) season structure.
Put in for a unit that is limited ELK. Fewer pumpkins/motorized recreation nuts, disguised as (Sportsmen) They cant actually be hunters. (Hunters) don't have a 20% success rate on antlerless elk??pathetic.

I guess I disagree with the general consensus here. I absolutely know several units where a 180 buck is a possibility on public land. Colorado is the premium state right now and almost any unit can put out a 180 type buck. If your unfamiliar with areas you can just look up areas by preference points it takes to draw them. If an area takes more than say 3 or 4 points those would pretty much be the premium areas and have a chance at a trophy type buck. Not the rule just a way to figure it quickly.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom