Pauns Management with 9 Points?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've been reading a lot of what some think about the Pauns management hunt. I hear that there are lots of deer to there are not a lot of deer. I've been putting in for this hunt as a NR for 2 years. Next year I'll have 9 points. Is this hunt worth burning 9-10 points? My goal is not to shoot an average management buck. If I have waited this long, I want at least a 160" buck. Is this the hunt for me? Or should I wait for enough points for the Henry's management hunt or even a different hunt? Help me out. Thanks.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

You can get a 160 class management buck on the Paunsaugunt. But most people (85% or more) are going to get smaller than that. The biggest management qualified buck I have seen taken off there was in the 180's, and he was a monster taken with an archery tag. If you are not in a hurry I would think the Henry Mt. tag may be a better fit for what you are looking for. Tough call. Best of luck.

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

This will be the last time that I sit on points and have this much time invested in one tag so I don't want to be satisfied with a lesser hunt. I'd rather wait a couple more years to draw a better tag, you know? I'd be pretty bummed if I drew this tag and only had opportunities of harvesting 18-22 inch 3x3's. I waited for a NV mule deer tag for 7 years and drew it last year. Ended up being a huge disappointment. Ate tag soup due to lack of bucks. I really could not handle that big of a let down again. I appreciate any advice...

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I had the Henry Management last year and if I was you I would wait until you could pull that one. There are some awesome bucks down there plus you get to enjoy checking out all the other monsters that call the Henry's home.
Here are a couple pics of my buck..

3002img_3786.jpg

1652img_3787.jpg

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-11 AT 04:34PM (MST)[p]did you draw this tag or did you get the stinky unsucc. letter if you did draw it will be tough for 160 but it is doable if you didnt draw then i agree with rick on this one i live here in kanab and i have guided hunts on both the henrys and pauns if i was going to wait for a pauns tag i would just wait a few more years for the rifle tag and have a chance at 180+ or wait a few more years and have a chance at a management buck on the henrys and a better shot at 160 for management and enjoy looking at the toads down there

Rick...again, that is a great buck period, management or not. I did not draw the tag...just having second thoughts about putting in for it the next couple of years. I may just hold out for the Henry's mngmt hunt.

Steve

IMO there are other tags that you could draw that would be alot better than a management tag on the Paunsagant. Hell I would rather have a Thousand Lakes tag that a Paunsagaunt mng tag.

I got a Paunsagant mgmt tag for my wife this year mainly due to the fact that she can't get around very well, and hopefully the weather will be warmer down south. If we can find her a nice 150" buck, she will be happy. Of course she would rather smoke me and shoot a bruiser, like she did her elk...
I would have rather gotten the Henry mgmt permit, but where it was for her, we went with the Pauns..
Good luck with your choice!

sledriders- your pm wasn't sent. I haven't received anything as of yet. ??

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

The plan is to hunt Vernon....could take too many years to draw the Books. I wanna burn the points and not play the game anymore.

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

Give me a shout Steve if you are serious about the Vernon unit. I can give you a few pointers and places to look that you might overlook if you don't know they are there. Be happy to point you in the right direction. Hell, maybe even take a wheeler ride out there with you this summer. I only live 30 minutes from there.

It's always an adventure!!!

Does UT have any plans to issue just one more muzzy and archery permit, for two each? I'm sitting on 15 NR points and since both of those hunts have one tag each they go into the random pool and doesn't flush out some of the higher point holders. I've got too much time invested to do the management hunt. My buddy had a NR management tag there last year. His comment was to wait for a regular tag and not go the management route.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom