Pauns Muzzy Deer

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-12 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]Has this hunt gone way down hill? I was just reading the pauns archery post and it seems like all is well on the pauns. But yet the muzzy odds are better than the achery odds and the trend is way down. Do the bucks move out for the muzzy hunt? I'm not too familiar with the area, but I would like to figure it out in the future.
Thanks for the help,
Matt

Part of the reason for seeing the odds on the muzzy hunt dropping off is because the DWR recently changed the hunt dates. Instead of the hunt happening in November during the rut the muzzy hunt was moved to September when the rest of the states muzzy hunt are.

I have never hunted on the Pauns so take this for what it is worth but the deer on the Pauns start their migration to winter grounds right about the time the September muzzy hunt starts. This migration makes the muzzy hunt a harder hunt because you don't know where the bucks are going to be from day to day.

400bull

Your much better off with a bow or rifle tag the muzz hunt dates make it tougher and some deer are migrating at that time so scouting may not buy you much. Not saying you wouldn't see some good deer. I just think the odds are better with a bow or rifle at a chance at a bruiser. Jmo.

I thought they changed the muzzy dates a while back. I didn't know it was just recently. That would be the obvious cause.

It's strange to me that bucks down South start migrating in September. I don't get it! The bucks up here stay over 8500 feet until November/December. Some years they won't even move unless the snow pushes them out of the high country.

So if it stays somewhat hot in September, the deer should still be hanging around near the summer grounds right?

It just seems wierd that a deer would migrate in September.

The first part of october is when they start. Some not all start to migrate. By mid October most of them are moving off the plateau. The old rifle date (Mid October) was almost purely a migration hunt. I sat in one spot and watched over 300 deer pass throughout the day. Hell of a site. Now lower pauns some resident deer just stay there. Ive seen them still push off the plateau even when it was warm. They get it in their head and they move.

Its been my experience the fist hard freeze on top starts them moving. Usually early Oct. They had the rifle hunt the same time frame as the current muzzle hunt for many years( early Oct). It was a good stratagy to sit the trails late in the hunt with a rifle in hand. Hard to do with a muzzleloader. The current Muzzleloader hunt is also alot shorter than the old rifle hunt. They even occasionly miss a buck or to up on Heatons because it moves before they get to it.Here today gone tomorow , literly.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom