Pauns Rifle Deer

BuckSkinner79

LAST EDITED ON May-13-19 AT 11:30PM (MST)[p]The results are in, Tonight I couldn't believe my eyes. I got the email and anticipated getting bad news, however upon opening up my results. I drew the Rifle Tag for the Pauns. If anyone is willing to share stories, information I'd appreciate the help. Still in the shock, but have that Big Ol Grin on my face! Been waiting on this one for a very long time and I can't wait to start the adventure!

It's BIG Country!

It's a Migratory Herd!

It can be Tough!

But at least You'll be Hunting where there are some Shooters!

And I'm Talkin the kind that efa doesn't like to see in this State!

Best of Luck!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

It'll be fun. Get down there and put on lots of ATV miles getting to know the unit. Visit the lower elevation country on the south end and look at all the water sources. Once the deer hit that lower country, they'll be close to water. And they do head for that lower country early, so you may be doing a good chunk of your hunting down there.
Congrats on the tag.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Congrats on drawing MY tag. Hope you have a great hunt, and get a monster! Be looking around Johnson Canyon and the highway crossings if there is any weather at all. The little strip of Utah on the South side of the highway holds deer in the PJ's, but have a good GPS and watch the state line.

23 points as a NR wasn't enough for me this year.

>LAST EDITED ON May-13-19
>AT 11:30?PM (MST)

>
>The results are in, Tonight I
>couldn't believe my eyes. I
>got the email and anticipated
>getting bad news, however upon
>opening up my results. I
>drew the Rifle Tag for
>the Pauns. If anyone is
>willing to share stories, information
>I'd appreciate the help. Still
>in the shock, but have
>that Big Ol Grin on
>my face! Been waiting on
>this one for a very
>long time and I can't
>wait to start the adventure!
>

Same thing for me when I saw "successful" next to my boxelder tag. Congrats

Congratulations!
I had it in 2017 and had an absolute blast!
Learn that bottom end of the unit but don't get discouraged on the lower numbers of deer.....they WILL show up in the masses!

After 23 tries for that Pauns tag, I might have to change from NR to Res status. Wonder if Larry Altimus knows of any houses to rent in Kanab??? :)

Calling for a wet year so you might get a early snow to push them down.
Find all the water hole you can and Gps them. Learn the road system like a local.
Then aim small miss small.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>After 23 tries for that Pauns
>tag, I might have to
>change from NR to Res
>status. Wonder if Larry Altimus
>knows of any houses to
>rent in Kanab??? :)

Lmao!

#livelikezac

As I understand it, these deer migrate like clockwork regardless of the weather. I wouldn't worry about the weather too much. Rifle hunt at the end of October, you know where the deer will mostly be regardless of what the weather has done.

You'll be hunting south of the White Cliffs. Find the areas the animals will have to use for their migration and get to know those areas really well. And I'm not talking the highway fencing and tunnels. It isn't hard to figure out the limited points where the animals will have to come off the cliffs. There will be lots, and lots of deer in those areas.

The year I had the tag I was down in August and again in September and there was no sign of deer life anywhere in the low lands. No deer, no tracks, nothing. I come down two days before my hunt and there were deer everywhere and the sand was tracked up like a super-highway. It was crazy.

I grew up living on the unit. Not all deer migrate. Flip side there are resident deer that never leave the desert. So even if the deer jump off, that does not mean you couldn't kill a toad closer to SR 12. I have seen nice bucks in JUl-AUG in the south, and have seen book bucks in a foot of snow in November. 80% or close do migrate

Is it realistic that very many of the top end bucks make it through the archery and muzzleloader hunt?
With all of the guides and scouts and baiting that's going on it seems like the majority of them would get killed before the rifle hunt?
It seems I hear about more really big bucks being killed on the archery and Muzzy hunts and not so many on the rifle is this true?

I appreciate everyone volunteering and having the discussion with me on this hunt. All the information shared and direction given will be put to use.

I'm on the fence about the DIY or hiring a guide? Any recommendations on guides would be superb.

I've heard a lot of people say and yak migration and the south end. I have the time set aside and plan on putting in the work. I do worry that baiting, guide, and all the bad mountain manners are true. I too hope it's not the case.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-19 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]If you go guided David Virostko with North Rim outfitters lives in Kanab and puts some dandy?s on the ground each year. So does Travis Roundy, but David has always been a class act and lives and breathes that unit.

Was down there two years ago for my wifes hunt and the deer were definitely on the move but they were scattered from the Arizona border all the way up to The Skutum road. Most everybody was hunting low. My observations were similar to what you've already heard; the later in the hunt, the further South you need to be.
As far as guided vs. unguided. How big of a buck are you going to be happy with??
I'll be down there at the same time as I drew the tag this year as well. Good luck to you!!

BEST ADVICE ON THIS THREAD...........

It'll be fun. Get down there and put on lots of ATV miles getting to know the unit. Visit the lower elevation country on the south end and look at all the water sources. Once the deer hit that lower country, they'll be close to water. And they do head for that lower country early, so you may be doing a good chunk of your hunting down there.
Congrats on the tag.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Brian, you are a stand up guy. Thanks for making such a great place to hang and for being so able and willing to jump in and help guys.

And OP....good luck on the hunt. It is going to be a hunt you remember for the rest of your life. You may experience what I did when hunting down here. It is possible you will not see anything for 5 days...then all the sudden you will figure it out. Get out, be patient, have a good 4 wheeler, glass, and you will eventually find a buck. Remember, you cant find them in the tent. The guys that get out and stay out find all the bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom