Paunsaguant LE Elk hunt help.

Ttp907

Hello,
My 13yr old son drew a paunsaguant Limited entry elk tag from the hunting expo this year, the only problem is we have never been to the area and have no clue where to start looking. I've heard there is a lot of private land on the unit but we will have to stick to public land and no Outfitters because we are unable to afford one. Does anyone have any experience hunting this unit for elk they would be willing to share? This will be his first elk hunt, just trying to make it successful hopefully. Even if it isn't as long as he sees sign of elk he will be excited, he's gone on hunts with his grandpa and I since he was little so he knows to not expect success but be grateful if it happens, just hates when he doesn't see anything at all the whole time.

My friend had a tag last year, he couldn't find them, not sure how many days he hunted. I even gave him some areas recommended by a guide friend.

Very tough elk area - without local or hired guide knowledge, it may be a brutal hunt, but I would not surrender the permit given he drew at age 13 through the expo so nothing to lose here except some experience if you don't go.
What hunt season/weapon type is it for?

I will send you a PM with a suggestion. If you have the monetary means, I would strongly suggest at least reaching out to a reputable guide who may be able to help you with a scouting package for minimal dollars (your post said going fully guided is not an option).

Worst case scenario... you get to experience the Paunsaugunt deer. ?? Get some good video and pics of the hunt. Let us know how y'all do.

When I hunted deer down there last year, I spent two full weeks covering a lot of the unit. I personally only saw one bull and about 4 cows. There was sign, and great looking country, but I just never heard a bugle or saw them. Good luck, it will be tough but fun!!

Was down last week. I see elk every time I am there. Seems numbers are increasing. They do exist I promise. One was a tape stretcher for sure. They were on top of the plateau in literally every canyon. Good luck.

I have spent the 1st week of September down there the last 2 years. We had spike hunters in our group and they were covering a lot of ground. The elk were hanging in the Park (Bryce Canyon) and didn't seem to leave much at all. Hope you find a nice bull for that son. That unit is a feast or famine area in me experience.

Last edited:
Niece hunted the sept rifle hunt in 2020 on a permit somebody turned back. She killed a 5 year old 320 class 6 point. Surprised me . I would say hunt up on the plateau and enjoy the scenery or hunt lower and try catching one off the private. The elk on the Pauns act more like general season bull elk than limited entry. They issue a lot of permits. The bulls become elusive or die.

As many have said that unit isn't as good as an open bull unit. The 5 year waiting period isn't worth the tag. With that said if he drew it in the expo it might be worth the gas to go hunt it, and see what happens! Good luck.

Hello,
My 13yr old son drew a paunsaguant Limited entry elk tag from the hunting expo this year, the only problem is we have never been to the area and have no clue where to start looking. I've heard there is a lot of private land on the unit but we will have to stick to public land and no Outfitters because we are unable to afford one. Does anyone have any experience hunting this unit for elk they would be willing to share? This will be his first elk hunt, just trying to make it successful hopefully. Even if it isn't as long as he sees sign of elk he will be excited, he's gone on hunts with his grandpa and I since he was little so he knows to not expect success but be grateful if it happens, just hates when he doesn't see anything at all the whole time.
What are the season dates? I'll be there for a few weeks in mid-Sept to early-Oct for my muzzy deer hunt. Shoot me a PM with your contact info just in case I see something.

If you want to kill an elk on the pausy you gotta hunt where they are at. If you do that I see no reason why you wouldn’t be successful

A0FA0CD7-B7D2-47FF-AD02-675C6229FDD8.jpeg

Cuts off Glendale bench road. But the biggest I saw. Lots of good bucks up on the plateau off the west end to private this year. should make for a good hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom