pelletized powder

huntinfanatic

i noticed in the proc. that pelletized powder is prohibited during the muzzleloader. has anyone ever been checked out in the field by the fish cops?

Not to be rude but asking a question like
that is almost saying you might try it and hope
you don't get caught.

I have been checked several times in CO,
remember, you commit a fish and game
offense in one of several states, you
lose your license in several states
for a year.

Abide by the law.

Yes, they can and do check your load. They blow it out using co2. I never did understand what the big deal is using pellets. Loose powder is way cheaper.

it just sees like a hassle for hunter to have empty his barrel to show he's using powder, and a waste of time for the officer, personally i think theres more important things for them to be doing.

Just like anything in life,If you don't play by the rules ,you can't play.

I think or maybe I hope that Huntinfanactic was just questioning the rule.

If so, I think it is a valid question. What is the reason for not allowing pellets in Colorado. Is it possible you could get off a quicker 2nd shot because you have pellets? If you have speedloaders with premeasured powder vs. the pellets, it has to be very close in who could reload faster.

The reason is most likely the same as why they don't allow sabots, just too much is too much I guess.

Good question, know the rules and follow.

Colorado is one of the states that has considered just old time muzzlelaoder. However, they will allow in-line, but only open sights, powdered powder and no sabot bullets.

Colorado wardens will and does check weapons and rules.

Such as your question and also rifles on ATV's. ATV hunter's must have rifles in a hard secure case not a soft case or a rack. You cannot have a round in the gun period. However, if you are in a truck you can have the gun in your lap and rounds in the magizine.

Just one of their rules that you need to know and follow. Funny rule and just for ATV's and one that is probably overlooked and possible abused, but I amagine the fine would be a pretty good one. Not that big of a deal or one to get upset about. Just a rule to know about and follow. I don't what a fine, citation and mainly to be on the wrong side of the wardens repore. now the rules and get checked by the warden following the rules and your on his good side from the first encounter.

I was checked be a warden on a deadend road that came upon me on his ATV on opening day and the first thing he wanted to check was my rifle and if there was any rounds in it. A process that probably took longer then a hunter reloading a muzzleloader with powdered pyro, bullet and all.

KNOW THE MUZZLELOADER RULES
Colorado tries to stay old school and may even change rules back and forth on technology issues (traditionalists guys vs modern technology guys). I've been on 5 elk and deer hunting trips (3 archery and 2 muzzleloader) and have been checked 5 times. Never a problem, but then my son and I had reviewed the rules together. This includes the ATV rules (big issue is hard cased muzzleloader and un-capped) and your out of state ATV registration.

Colorado is a great place for a youth hunt- father mentor situation. Son/ daugher has the tag, reasonably priced and you are the coach. I highly recommend that situation. Think and preach safety and ethics, one typically only gets a few quality hunts in a mentor situation (they grow up and are on their own before you know it). Hopefully, you can still be part of that experience.

Carry firearms (except handguns) on an OHV during deer, elk,
pronghorn antelope and bear seasons unless they are unloaded in the chamber and magazine. Firearms (except handguns) and bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case.
Scabbards or cases with open ends or sides are prohibited. This
does not apply to landowners or their agents who carry a firearm on an OHV to take depredating wildlife on property they own or lease.

Not trying to be a smart @$$ or anything...but soft cases are fine on an ohv (or so it appears).

I got checked on a MZ antelope hunt a couple years ago. All he did was ask to see my license, never even looked at my gear.

after i found out i had to use loose powder instead of pellets for my colorado muzz. hunt i was skeptical(since ide never used loose powder) but after using it i decided i like it alot better than pellets. it helped tighten up my group at the gun range. i plan on using the loose powder on my utah muzz. hunt this coming week. oh and by the way i got an alright buck during my colorado hunt will post picks soon.

I dont see the advantage or disadvantage of useing pellets. my be speed of loading? just use speed loaders or make the 1st shot count.it sure aint worth the risk of getting caught with pellets.colorado dow is not playing with people that break the law.

Interesting i did not know guns had to be in a case when traveling on a ATV.I guess i"ll have to pick one up before i leave.

Hard or soft case. Both are legal. I was checked on a muzzleloader cow hunt in unit 61 a few years ago. He didn't make me empy my rifle but he did ask to see my pre measured loads and bullets to see if I had pellets and sabots. The man was very professional about it and I was happy to oblige.

BeanMan

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom