Plateau/Barney top/Kaiparowits archery elk help

wweaver79

I do not like putting out a general ask but could not find much in other forums. My hunting buddy just got a call this afternoon as an alternate, we are NR and this is the only NR tag. We were leaving soon to help my cousin in NM for his archery elk tag that also starts Sept 1. We are going to give this shot even though it overlaps and we will go back out end of the month if we have to but we have work some starting Sept 11. Does anyone have any info on the Barney Top area they would be willing to share via PM. I have a little starting info but anything would be helpful. Also general access/camping/general stuff. I know this used to be one unit before it was broke off. We drew nothing all year and I drew a good ID deer tag in second draw and now this. Bottom of the ninth in the tag draw world for sure. Thank you

I've not been on the south unit you're talking about, but a few years back I had a muzzy deer tag on Boulder and hunted the area just a little north of your unit. Late Sept into Oct and the bulls were screaming day and night. Looking at the dates, I'd say you'll want to be there the last 10 days to hit the rut, that should give you the best chance... The year we hunted there, we towed our trailer down without knowing exactly where to camp. We found a good spot easily, I hope you can to.!

Good luck.! I can't believe someone turned their tag in this late in the year...

Thanks for the reply, Yes he has the whole month of Sept for it. He only had 5 points so we are going to try and make the best of it with no scout trips. My cousins hunt is 16D in NM Sept 1-14 so this goes for two more weeks after that at least. My cousin has a great tag so not going to short that one either. What will get shorted is my days at work in Sept apparently.

Well after a week of bouncing on these rough roads scouting and hunting last two days in NM my buddy that drew this tag had to go to hospital yesterday and I just dropped him off at airport to fly home for emergency eye surgery and will be out 6-8 weeks. NM you win the prize, you detached his retina. It started on Wed and got worse. I has no idea this was a thing but the doc said it happens. On way back now keep hunting with my cousin. Good luck out there and slow down on the two tracks…..

How in the world did it detach? The rough roads ?
Yes last week scouting he was in the back, possibly sleeping at times, head hit glass sideways bouncing on two tracks. Eye Doc in Albuquerque said that it happens during hunting season. Also another random thing I learned, the fluid in your eye starts out as a jell when your young then thins out as you age so there is less protection on impacts. He is only 37. Utah was good to him, he contacted them yesterday and will give points back/refund.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom