Pocket knives

Blackbear1

I have lots of knives for hunting, fishing etc…. I have always just carried replaceable blade knives the last 10 years for pocket knife. Looking to change that. Looking for recommends with this criteria

manual folder
steel that can be sharpened without factory help
price is not as critical but I am a reasonable person don’t want to go crazy on something easy to lose

appreciate the thoughts

I carry a Case XX Stockman everyday. It’s in and out of my pocket constantly. You can sharpen it on a rock or piece of concrete if you need to.

If I wanted to carry a pocket knife that was easy to sharpen, specifically for hunting I’d carry a lock back Case.

DBF9CEF2-309D-4F39-89C1-771A1830BAE6.jpeg

B741696A-A217-44E8-891B-A38FD1ACC417.jpeg

Lumpy, same pocket knife I carry. Sharp and strong taking an edge easily too. Skimmed a few beaver, deer, and fish with it let along slice some field deer sausage for lunch. Great knife.

Lumpy, same pocket knife I carry. Sharp and strong taking an edge easily too. Skimmed a few beaver, deer, and fish with it let along slice some field deer sausage for lunch. Great knife.
I have a dresser drawer full of knives T. I like good knives but not all knives like me. I’m terrible at sharping them. You could say I have a blind spot when it comes to putting a good edge on one. I like the Case for everyday stuff because it’s soft enough that I can sharpen it quick and easy, recognizing that it goes dull quicker too but I can live with that, it sucks to have a knive your depending on and you can’t get it sharp, even it you have to resharpen it frequently.

I have great respect for guys that can keep hard steel razor sharp. Some guys can.

The Remington pockets knives work well for me too but I usually carry a Case.

I have other benchmade hunting knives but was looking for something a little less fancy. This pocket knife certainly won’t be my only hunting knife on the mountain and I have a desk job so my need for an EDC is limited. I ended up middle of the road with the Kershaw Keel.

thanks everyone

Like everyone I have a ton of knives, but at this point I only carry Spyderco. I have a few of them, but carry daily the Endura 4 Lightweight plain edge.

…since I lose a knife per month, I carry chinese junk…
Homer…….. son, with age comes wisdom.

Folllow an old capitalist solution: “Poor ways, make poor folks”.

Buy a hundred dollar, American Made, pocket knife….

It will work better, stay sharp longer, and sharpen easier………. therefore, you’ll take better care of it, and when you reach for it, it’ll be in your pocket, not laying under a pile of bailing twine, somewhere in the feed lot.

Victorinox Swiss Tinker. I have carried the same knife for so long, I feel naked without it in my back pocket. Holds an edge, has a Philips screwdriver I use all the time, and a decent awl. I originally got my first because it had tweezers for pulling cactus spines, and a toothpick for getting jerky out of my teeth on backpack trips.

+8 for bechmade. Clip it on pocket. Remove for use and insert back in pocket. Never lose.

I’ve had multiple ones for 15 years and wear daily

Victorinox Swiss Tinker. I have carried the same knife for so long, I feel naked without it in my back pocket. Holds an edge, has a Philips screwdriver I use all the time, and a decent awl. I originally got my first because it had tweezers for pulling cactus spines, and a toothpick for getting jerky out of my teeth on backpack trips.

It’s really almost all you need…….. almost.

Never ever sit it down. I’ve done that and misplaced (later found) and almost cried because knives were from combat deployments and memories attached to them. So gotta follow the rules by putting it away when done

I have lots of knives for hunting, fishing etc…. I have always just carried replaceable blade knives the last 10 years for pocket knife. Looking to change that. Looking for recommends with this criteria

manual folder
steel that can be sharpened without factory help
price is not as critical but I am a reasonable person don’t want to go crazy on something easy to lose

appreciate the thoughts
There is an obscure knife maker here in Texas that has been around a very long time. I actually think they started off making fencing pliers and horn loppers. A lot of the cowboys carry these.

Back in the 1960's RCBS was giving away free Gerber pocket knives with a purchase of a set of Dies. I still have mine. I got a new Kershaw folder for Father's Day this year. I like it too but not as well as my Gerber.

gerber 001.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom