Points and Moving to MT Questions

1BigDeer

I am strongly considering moving to MT in spring. I have 1 point for the elk/deer combo and 3 elk points that I either use or lose for 2009. My questions are: 1) How long do I have to live in MT to be a resident for hunting purposes?
2) If I don't draw for 2009 as a non-resident, will my points continue to accrue for 2010 as a resident?
3) How many points does it take to draw the CMR bull elk permit as a resident?

Thanks for you opinions. I don't want to waste the accumulated points, but don't want to waste money either!

1. You need to have lived here atleast 6 months before you can buy resident tags. Get your MT driver's lisence immediately when you get here.
2. You will have to call the Fish and Game and ask.
3. Points acrue differently here in MT than in most places. If you have 1 bonus point, then you get your name in the hat twice (1 for the current application, and 1 for the bonus point). If you have 350 bonus points, you get your name in the hat 351 times (1 for the current application and 350 times for the bonus points). This means that your bonus points never guarantee you anything. A guy with no bonus points can get lucky and draw while you with 350 miss out and don't get your name drawn. That is the way it is done here. A lot of guys don't like it, but I have heard of a couple guys who have hit the lottery with the Elkhorn tag two years in a row.
This is a great place and you will like it a lot. What part of the state are you looking at?
Soup

soup nailed all your questions. The drivers license is a big thing. Immediately. I was born and raised here, and when I moved back home, I planned it around hunting season. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom