Population numbers?

RidgeRebel

Does Idaho publish elk population numbers by unit? If so, where can I find them. I have been looking on the Idaho fish and game website, but I can only find success ratios and the like.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

They don't necessarily put out population numbers but on page 32 of the current regulations they have a map showing which elk zones are above and below population objective both for bulls and cows. I did notice they apparently no longer have population objectives for most of southern idaho and the panhandle but I know that about 1/3 of the panhandle units were below objective according to last years regulations

Not that I have ever seen they do most of their counts in the winter while on their winter ranges But that is not accurate at all. take for instance unit 45 winter range there are animals in there from units 39 43 44 48 & 52 !! This year I talked with several biologists & they said they were having a Hell of a time counting animals on the Boise front due to the lack of snow !! So again how can they establish any sort or count other than a Guess ??

Go on the IDFG website under Wildlife, and look up the complete state-wide elk management plan. It will give you everything you need to know. Covers the plan from 2014 to 2024. Population surveys are flown every 5 years, or more often if they have either the money or a problem in a specific unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom