Potash sheep

buffalo

Is the Potash herd doing any better this year? Now I've got the points I'm to old to get around very good. Only 1 tag last year my points don't help at all. Or does any other unit have any place a old guy could get around?

I heard that a Good Ram was taken above the mine...but that is all I have heard! I would like to hear as well!

Tallbuck1

If you want a great unit that you can hunt from your escalade put in for the west Kaiparowits, more tags and bigger Rams than the Potash.

I've been on West Kaiparowits scouting Rams a few times. But with 2 artificial knees I'm afraid I'll pass on that unit. Thanks for the help boatanchor. Some day you might get old too.

Buffalo, I must admit that I am surprised by yours and deerslayer88 replies. I cant say that I have hunted every DBH unit in the state but most of them, I have not hunted Potash but been in the unit many times.
Of the units that I have hunted I think the west kaiparowits is the easiest, has good numbers of sheep and a few great rams with more tags.
You must have been thinking about the West Kaiparowits' bastard step child the East Kaiparowits that I think is THE toughest unit in the state.

btw: I am old

>Boatanchor is on crack. That is
>a hard unit to hunt
>don't do it.

Nope, not on crack...what makes you think it is so hard to hunt ??

Its possible, haha. I actually didn't check on the units boundaries until after your post and I think its the other one. Ugh Yeah make sure its the West not East totally forgot about it lol.

>I just wish I could afford
>a Escalade.

Huh? That's possibly the most physical unit in the State. If you're looking for "easier" that's not really the best option.

I've hunted in and hunted with people in several units, dating back to 1980, and have yet to find an "easy" desert sheep unit in the State.

The WEST Kaiparowits is certainly less physical than the East but a guy can have an easy or a tough hunt regardless of the unit. It all depends on a little thing called "luck".

Good luck in your quest and let us know what you do. It's going to be fun for you no matter wher you decide to go.

Zeke

Great Points from all! I just cannot wait to draw my tag! They day (when ever it is) cannot come soon enough!

Tallbuck1

Sorry buff, we've been talking all around your question.
NO, I have not heard anything about the unit in a few years.
If nobody has any GOOD info for you, here at MM, maybe try contacting the biologist and see if he'll help with current intel.
Good luck man!
Zeke

Buff,
I don't know the Potash but the sportsman's tag holder this year is local to that area and I believe he hunted the Potash some before killing his ram in the Zion. He goes by "astribien" on MM and just posted on another sheep thread. You might PM him and get a very current Potash report.
IMO there are no "easy" D sheep hunts in Utah, but spotting sheep is possible in some units via ATV. They obviously still require some leg work in every unit, but the N San Rafael might be another possibility.
Also, if you have the means, a good guide can make things easier as well. Best of luck to you in your quest.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-14 AT 12:09PM (MST)[p]>Is the Potash herd doing any
>better this year? Now I've
>got the points I'm to
>old to get around very
>good. Only 1 tag last
>year my points don't help
>at all. Or does any
>other unit have any place
>a old guy could get
>around?

The Potash unit has not been producing the rams that it used to. There are still decent sheep there, and some can even be taken from the road quite easily, but I wouldn't put in for it unless the area is dear to your heart.

Almost all the units have some herds accessible by vehicle. The trick is knowing what size ram you want. Some of the herds near the roads don't see the big rams very often. You would most likely have to shoot a less mature ram in these areas. If that doesn't bother you, put in for the units with best odds of drawing with the points you have.

If you've got max points, I would suggest the Beaver Dam, W. Kaip., and Zion units. All those have good rams that can be had from the roads. Stay away from the units that only have one tag as your points are useless like you said earlier. Potash, and Lockhart will likely only have one tag again this year. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure until AFTER the draw!

If you have access to a boat that can haul gear and ride the big waves of lake Powell, the E. Kaip. is actually quite do-able. The odds are quite good for this unit too. It is a long drive from home, and gas prices on the lake can be terrible, but it is an option.

Another thing, if you are really incapable of hunting on foot, you should apply for a disabled hunter's permit. It will allow you to shoot from the vehicle, and would also most likely extend your hunting season somewhat. You will need a doctor's signature of disablement and have to go to one of the division offices to apply, but it would be very worth the trouble.

Let us know if you draw and good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom