Preference Point Help

ViperD

Hello,

Let me start by saying I am an avid young hunter (28 years old) from PA. I spend most of my time chasing whitetails in the fall and turkeys in the spring. I have been exploring my options and really would like to start looking into big game hunting in the Western part of the US. After hours of research, I have come to the conclusion that it can be pretty confusing! Being as I am young, I am looking for input as to what states I should start acquiring preference points in? I am more interested in states where just a preference point can be purchased. Being a young professional, I don't have a lot of income to be tied up in licenses and waiting on refunds, etc.

My primary interests are Moose and Elk hunting.

At my age, what would you consider good states to put in for preference points for non-resident Moose? I have been thinking about starting to purchase non-resident Moose preference points in Wyoming. Are there any other states I should consider?

Any states I should accumulate preference points for Elk?

Are there any once in a lifetime preference points I should start accumulating? I would really like to do a Big horn sheep hunt at least once at some point.

In the meantime I think I am going to start going on OTC elk hunts every few years, in CO most likely. Just to get some experience out west and get the feel for things in the big mountains.

Any input as to where I could start accumulating points for the long run would be greatly appreciated!

CO is the only state that has a growing Shiras population, every other state is holding steady or declining.
With that said you need to put your money up front for applying even if only for a point.
If you didn't care about bull/cow, you could draw a CO cow moose tag most likely way faster than a bull tag!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Put in for SE Idaho, and if you don't draw, then hunt your OTC elk here instead of Colorado.

Here is a suggestion as to not tie up cash. Order the point in a state like Colorado on your credit card. When they send back your money pay back the card company. The interest will not be much and using a credit card and being responsible in its use helps your credit score. This way you do not tie up cash. I order points every year for myself and my 2 sons. This makes it pretty painless.
Just a suggestion Good Hunting.
J_T_B

ViperD,

If you look at the current points levels and do the math, you'll be overwhelmed with the amount of time it'll take to actually draw a tag.... BUT.... you're young enough that most of us will have to drop out and clear the path for you.

I'd begin to faithfully accrue Wyoming moose and elk points and be prepared for the long-haul. These will cost you about $150 every year so don't begin if you're just going to drop out.

I'd apply for Utah too since accumulating points is only $10 per species BUT you'll need a NR hunting licence every other year (if you play your cards right).

You should do Colorado too, like the other have mentioned.

Remember that it all adds up and only you know how much you're willing to spend every year and/or how motivated you are.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-16 AT 03:18PM (MST)[p]IMO opinion CO and UT have a better potential return on investment, but the only suck a little less than some other options. Starting out now for WY moose points will not get you anything for a very very long time. If you were to apply in WY areas with random tags then maybe it is worth it, basically paying $75 for a raffle ticket with 1 in a few hundred odds. The situation for moose is not as bad as for sheep (just for example), but some will make a case that you are better off just saving your money and using it to go on a hunt in Alaska or Canada. The whole preference/bonus point situation for very hard to draw hunts/species has become a huge scam for the most part, if you are just starting out the deck is stacked against you. Your only hope is that us old guys will start kicking the bucket in the next 10-20 years.

It's easy to say "save your money instead of buying moose points" but $75 X 20 years in Wyoming is still only $1500! That won't get anyone a moose hunt on that kind of money but it might just work a guy into a position where he can draw one. If a guy cannot afford $75 per year then he probably shouldn't be talking about hunting anyway!

If the OP was in his 40's then I'd tell him to work overtime and buy his own hunt but at his age, if he sticks with it and enough of us old dogs die, he'll draw a moose tag.

That's only my 2 cents... for free.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom