Product Review....Horn Hunter Mainbeam

SLIVER

Very Active Member
Well I thought long and hard about which new product I thought was the best last season, and I have decided on the Horn Hunter Mainbeam pack.

Let me start by saying that this pack is awsome!! It is made in many different camo patterns but I chose Predator green because I use this pack mainly for archery hunting. The pack is small enough to use for small hikes and day trips, yet is big enough that I can fit more things inside than I am willing to carry. There are individal compartments for everything that I need. Last season I carried my bow, spotting scope, 100 oz water bladder, rope, wyoming saw, pistol, rangefinder, flashlights, pocket knife, TP, Elk Calls, permit, ID, fire starters, food, and some other misc. small stuff, in or on my Mainbeam. My pack last year weighed between 35-40 lbs on some trips depending on how extensive of a hike I was going on. The comfort was unlike any that I'd ever experienced. I am 6'2" and weigh 158 lbs. and I packed that weight up and down the Wasatch Moutains all season without any discomfort. It did not matter what I had inside the Mainbeam was always comfortable.
The durability is unmatched with Horn Hunter packs. I have used my Mainbeam for only one season so far and haven't had any problems. However if ever anything breaks or tears on the pack the company will repair or replace it no questions asked.
Many of my friends have used the Mainbeam line of packs for years and packed out many animals on them and have never had any defects. What a well built pack!!!
Bottom line, I love the pack and never forsee using any other pack than the Horn Hunter. Anyone in the market for a new pack owes it to themselves to check out Mainbeam or Mainbeam XL.

www.sophuntinggear.com

}}-SLIVER-->

The fabric is 100% waterproof and the empty weight is right around 4 pounds. I emptied mine out and weighed it on my home scale so i'm sure that 4 pounds is not an exact measurement, however, it is the lightest of any of the internal frame hunting packs that I know of. Go with the Mainbeam, you won't be disappointed.

}}-SLIVER-->

What about stuffing clothing in there, from the pictures it doesn't actually look very roomy for 2000 cu inch pack?

T

I always carry a coat while hunting because of the cold mornings, then want to shed the coat by early afternoon. There is a stretch cord on the outside of the pack that I usually will roll my coat up and bungee it to. You can also stuff your coat inside. I just hate to have to dig through my coat along with everything else if I need to get to something in the bottom of my pack.

}}-SLIVER-->

Well where I hunt, it is usually cold enough and you are hiking very hard that you have to strip down to an underarmour shirt while hiking and keep multiple layers in a back pack as you hike because it often rains or snows. I cannot afford to get these things wet, so rolling them up on the outside would not work. Once we sit we sit it is for most of the day and it can get very cold.

So I usually carry a heavy coat and a fleece or wool pullover as a midlayer, gloves, balacalava, pair of waterproof pants, spotting scope, lunch, and H20. Will all that fit inside of this pack?

T

weights:
mainbeam 4.4 lbs
mainbeam xl 6.3 lbs
(inner frame is 1 1/2 lbs. of that weight)
G2 3.0 lbs
Droptine 2.7 lbs.

good luck on your decision tooele. I really do think Hornhunter makes the best pack, period. I couldnt be happier with mine.

toole: With all the extra clothing that you want to carry you may warrant the Mainbeam XL(3000 CU inch range). Look at the Mainbeam and the Mainbeam XL and decide which one would work better for you. The Mainbeam is perfect for me and my style of hunting, however you may possibly be an XL kinda guy. Either are better than Badlands in my opinion.

}}-SLIVER-->

The problem is is that I can't find a store to actually look at one here in phoenix. That is always the problem with these specialty products.

T

They ain't in many stores yet. That mainbeam main pocket isn't all that large. Good for organization if your an organizer, but can t put much in it.

scott

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-07 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-07 AT 01:16?PM (MST)

Toole, there is a place I think it is in Phoenix called Eagle Eye Outdoors, 877-232-4534, that is a dealer of Horn Hunter packs. You could look at them there. Happy Hunting

)}-SLIVER-->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom