Pronghorn for young hunters?

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
I have two sons old enough to hunt. One is 17 and will be headed for college next fall. The other is 15 and in high school. Both have Wyoming preference points for elk, deer and pronghorn, the older one has max points (5) and his younger brother has 4 points for each. I am considering applying them both for pronghorn for next fall and am looking for a unit with decent bucks, good amount of public land, but not tons of pressure, so that they could look over some bucks before deciding to take a shot. We would probably be limited to about 3 ? 4 days of hunting because of school. I am thinking about the units in the central part of the state, say east of Lander / Riverton area and south of say Worland. We are not trying to get into the record book but of course would not pass up a huge buck. Do any of you frequent Wyoming hunters have any suggested units or other suggestions that might narrow the search?
Last time I hunted pronghorn, I went to unit 106, had a good hunt saw average bucks, and my partner missed the biggest one we saw, probably over 15?. We got average 13 ? 14 inch bucks each and had a good time, but that was 21 years ago. PM?s are welcome. Thanks

I'd say your looking in the right part of the state for a few guys with those amount of points. Figure out which area they can draw for sure with those points and go hunting. There's good country and nice antelope in all of those areas.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-10 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]Make sure and put them in as a party and I'd suggest 115 or 114 as a first choice. They will definitely draw the tag for 115 and are very likely to draw 114 with an average of 4+ PPs. There are very few nonresident tags issued and the units are just what you are looking for with very good numbers, plenty of BLM land (especially 114) and great bucks to choose from. B&C bucks come out of those units every year, but they are sort of under the radar. If they do put in and draw either one of those tags, get back to me and I'll tell you exactly where to go in each unit to cut your time driving around since you say you will have limited time for the hunt. My email addy is: [email protected]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom