Proposed NDOW Big Game Quotas

Crazy... Area 17 grew by 35 tags total for rifle between all 3 seasons (they added a mid season and distributed tags accordingly).

The Ewe hunts are in herds that above management goals and are also known to contain pneumonia issues. They don't want to move potentially sick/carrier animals to new locations.
I think this in the wrong approach. Speaking of unit 213 specifically. This is a relict herd that has survived multiple disease die offs. The herd seems to be resilient and growing despite pneumonia outbreaks. I think they should be studying them to confirm if the herd does have a natural immunity. If so, these are exactly the animals that should be transplanted to spread their genetics.

I think this in the wrong approach. Speaking of unit 213 specifically. This is a relict herd that has survived multiple disease die offs. The herd seems to be resilient and growing despite pneumonia outbreaks. I think they should be studying them to confirm if the herd does have a natural immunity. If so, these are exactly the animals that should be transplanted to spread their genetics.
I’m not a Biologist but I agree.
You have a good point.
I disagree with any female tags being issued except for maybe some cow elk.
I guess selling female tags generates more money for the department than transplants.

I also don’t understand why we need Spike Elk hunts!

I read the first page regarding the overall herd information for each species. Nevada is considering and has recently transplanted sheep to Utah in recent years. These trap and transplants also take a significant amount of time to work through, meanwhile the sheep are still eating and drinking and using up the resources we are all in competition for.

I also noticed they were actually having to fill water developments in south , which I presume is 268, due to the drought and the developments going dry. That tells me the herd is overgrown for what I'd available. We do live in the desert and water is challenging. Just look at lake mead right now and its water level.

Also, two years ago, the disease went from the very southern tip of the stillwater, which they discovered shortly after doing a trap and transplant, into 045 in a very short time. I don't recall the specific dates, but it was in the January commission meeting.

Another problem I see, aside from drought and disease, is space.

Where do we put them in the state, where there isn't a significant issue of habitat loss and urban encroachment, and where there is still water available?

I have participated in the ewe hunt before through my daughter, and I applied this year as well.

When quotas rise I can't seem to draw a tag. Maybe this year my 20 pts for elk and sheep I will draw a tag since the quotas are being lowered overall!

Last edited:
Well hear I go kill all the elk in Nevada if you want to save the mule deer I’m sure it’s unfavorable to most but it’s my position.
Pretty much. So many areas that used to be great deer habitat have been taken over by the Elk.

More so than that though, kill all the wild horses THAT ARE NOT NATIVE TO THIS STATE!!!!! These wild horses eat everything and breed like no other. Yet they are protected somehow.

I’m curious, does the approved quota follow the recommended quota? And does the guided draw come out of this quota? (meaning there would be no tags available in the general draw?)

I’m curious, does the approved quota follow the recommended quota? And does the guided draw come out of this quota? (meaning there would be no tags available in the general draw?)
Not sure but I would imagine that the nonresident tags will be in the general draw.

The guided quota used to be set by the prior years quotas, so in this case they will get the tags based upon the higher tag numbers of last year. The tags you see in the quotas are the ones available in the upcoming draw.

That is how they used to do it since the guide draw was before the season setting numbers.

Rich

The commission most generally accepts what NDOW proposses, though I have seen a few changes be made over the years.

The guided draw tags are already allocated, and that draw is complete.

Everything else is drawn in late May(date in the reg book).

They usually follow pretty closely to the recommendations. NDOW sets aside a certain number of rifle mule deer tags that are available exclusively for nonresident applicants that apply through a licensed Nevada outfitter.

Well hear I go kill all the elk in Nevada if you want to save the mule deer I’m sure it’s unfavorable to most but it’s my position.
Haha. Some people are just idiots. Has nothing to do with elk. It’s all about the pinyon/juniper encroachment. The Pinyon/juniper groves that are expanding makes horrible deer habitat and great elk habitat. So the declining deer numbers have nothing to do with the elk, but the habitat the elk thrive in. If you want deer numbers to go up, burn down these pinyon/jumpers groves and stop putting out wildfires.

Haha. Some people are just idiots. Has nothing to do with elk. It’s all about the pinyon/juniper encroachment. The Pinyon/juniper groves that are expanding makes horrible deer habitat and great elk habitat. So the declining deer numbers have nothing to do with the elk, but the habitat the elk thrive in. If you want deer numbers to go up, burn down these pinyon/jumpers groves and stop putting out wildfires.
Sure elk don’t eat the same stuff blaw blaw blaw. Funny how elk are chasing beavers out of Yellowstone. I know areas where they clear cut juniper and pinyon for sage hen habitat and the deer numbers are still on the decline. I read an article from 1957 about how the elk in the Schell creek range we’re going to wipe out mule deer population. It had a complete timeline on when they were introduced what framers were paid from crop damage and at the end of the article it said that the elk should be removed. Oh and maybe quit driving you’re vehicles because juniper and pinyon encroachment is due to the extra carbon in the atmosphere. I’ve seen arial shots from the 1930-2000 overlaid and you can clearly see the growth. So my solution is kill all the elk as opposed to stop driving.

How fast do new P/J forests grow? Wouldn't logic dictate that fires are reducing P/J groves faster than they could possibly expand? I don't buy that P/J has any significant affect on deer populations compared to wild horses/burros/predators and drought.
I do know the deer love burned areas though.

Instead of killing off all the elk how about killing off the non native invasive species that has actually been linked to the decline of every species in the west.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom