Proposed season structure 2025-2029

HAHA. I love it, we must limit all archery hunting. Both resident and nonresident. It is vital.... But lets allow unlimited OTC in both the 2nd and third rifle. We must have that...

Sad that they cant allow the residents the ability to hunt OTC and only limit the NR? NR caps is far better than forcing everyone to limited draw.

Last edited:
Just reading it. I thought they would approve the early Archery Deer Season. I guess the Outfitters must make more money on the Rifle OTC.
This group of "Special Interest" I mean Commissioners can't stand to support Resident Hunters.

HAHA. I love it, we must limit all archery hunting. Both resident and nonresident. It is vital.... But lets allow unlimited OTC in both the 2nd and third rifle. We must have that...

Sad that they cant allow the residents the ability to hunt OTC and only limit the NR? NR caps is far better than forcing everyone to limited draw.

That is one option, but is not the recommended one. Talk to the powers that vote on the final regs (commisioners?) and they could overrule the cpw. Its happened before. Somethings needs to be done.

I sure hope they move the seasons back to the previous dates for 2nd and 3rd. Too much hunting in rut and too many big bucks being killed.

The archery changes proposed will have the effect of only giving the best bow tags to those who bow hunt less frequently (or never).

Eliminating resident OTC archery and leaving the 75/25 Resident/Non-resident split only applying to the first choice means a resident probably won’t get a bow tag if it isn’t their first choice. If you look at the draw results you will see it’s nearly there now in the recently converted units.

That is one option, but is not the recommended one. Talk to the powers that vote on the final regs (commisioners?) and they could overrule the cpw. Its happened before. Somethings needs to be done.

I sure hope they move the seasons back to the previous dates for 2nd and 3rd. Too much hunting in rut and too many big bucks being killed.
The recommended option is everyone is limited for archery by DAU/GMU. Yet they are keeping the rifle seasons in the same units unlimited.... That is the issue. Resident should not have to go limited at all until all residents are totally limited.

The recommended option is everyone is limited for archery by DAU/GMU. Yet they are keeping the rifle seasons in the same units unlimited.... That is the issue. Resident should not have to go limited at all until all residents are totally limited.

Go down to rifle OTC options:

Alternative #1 is to limit NRs and no change for residents in OTC units. That is what you need to talk up with the commisioners. If enough residents do that, they might adopt it.

Go down to rifle OTC options:

Alternative #1 is to limit NRs and no change for residents in OTC units. That is what you need to talk up with the commisioners. If enough residents do that, they might adopt it.
I think you are missing the issue. Archery hunters will now be limited, both resident and non resident in the same units they can buy OTC. You may get lucky and get a leftover but otherwise now there is a whole pile of archery guys with5, 10, 15, 20 points who will have to use those points or face not drawing the tag and archery hunting at all. All those guys will then be forced into the 2nd and 3rd OTC units making even more issues for the rifle crowding…

I think you are missing the issue. Archery hunters will now be limited, both resident and non resident in the same units they can buy OTC. You may get lucky and get a leftover but otherwise now there is a whole pile of archery guys with5, 10, 15, 20 points who will have to use those points or face not drawing the tag and archery hunting at all. All those guys will then be forced into the 2nd and 3rd OTC units making even more issues for the rifle crowding…
Now you're just describing everyone I know down here in the southwest units that got taken out of the otc units a few years ago.

I think you are missing the issue. Archery hunters will now be limited, both resident and non resident in the same units they can buy OTC. You may get lucky and get a leftover but otherwise now there is a whole pile of archery guys with5, 10, 15, 20 points who will have to use those points or face not drawing the tag and archery hunting at all.
Good.

Preference points should be used. That is literally what they are for. To help you get a tag.

I dont see what the problem is.

See if this works. Not sure if you can download.

CPW Big Game Season Structure and Draw Process Working Group Update

• 6e773c5_CPW_Logo_Color_Transparent_10.7.11-resized.png

Attention All Colorado Big Game Hunters!

2025 - 2029 Big Game Season Structure (BGSS) Updates
    Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) has released its preliminary alternatives and staff recommendations for the 2025-2029 Big Game Season Structure (BGSS) (LOCATED HERE). Over the past year, CPW carefully considered various biological, social, and economic factors, as well as internal and external input received during its extensive public outreach process, when developing these BGSS recommendations.

The BGSS planning process is a critical component of big game management and big game hunting regulation development in Colorado and provides a framework for CPW staff to make annual license recommendations. The central purpose of the BGSS planning process is to determine what, when, and where various types of big game hunting opportunities are available, and to determine how the timing of opportunities are divided among hunters. Through this planning process, CPW is better able to maintain healthy wildlife populations in keeping with management objectives.

CPW will present these preliminary alternatives and staff recommendations to the Parks and Wildlife Commission at the March Commission meeting in Denver; staff are planning a three-step approval process, with the Commission making final decisions on season structure in June.

If members of the public are interested in providing a comment on the BGSS preliminary alternatives and staff recommendations, they are encouraged to either 1) submit a written comment to the Commission inbox ([email protected]) to ensure their comments are included in the record and provided to the Commission or 2) sign up to provide a verbal comment at the upcoming March Commission meeting.

Visit our Big Game Season Structure Engage CPW webpage to find more information on the Big Game Season Structure process and ways to continue to be involved.

Draw Process Working Group Updates
    At the May 2023 Parks and Wildlife Commission Meeting, the Commission requested CPW staff to form a Draw Process Working Group to analyze the agency’s current hunting draw rules and processes in order to identify ways to reduce complexities and find new solutions/alternatives to fix some of the preference point and other draw-related issues.

We kicked off our Draw Process Working Group meetings in late October to discuss the shared vision for the process and select the work session topics to be addressed by the group.

Since our kickoff meeting in October, we have hosted two Draw Working Group Work Sessions. Our January 31st Work Session covered the primary draw and draw methods. Our February 7th Work Session covered preference points.

Members of the Draw Working Group will present on the group’s findings and recommendations developed during these two Works Sessions at the March 2024 Commission meeting. A memo with the summary of recommendations from these two Work Sessions will be released to the public later this week on Friday March 1st through the Commission's webpage.

The remaining Work Sessions and Commission Workshops will occur between May - July 2024. Comments on the discussions will continue to be collected by CPW to share with the Commission and the Working Group through Engage CPW. All Draw Process Working Group meetings will be livestreamed on the CPW YouTube Channel so feel free to tune in and follow along!

Continue to check our Draw Process Working Group Engage CPW webpage for additional updates and information on dates for these upcoming Work Sessions and Commission Workshops.​

Attachments

• 2025-2029_Big_Game_Season_Structure_Preliminary_Alternatives_and_Staff_Recommendations_Memo-1.pdf
    848.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Good.

Preference points should be used. That is literally what they are for. To help you get a tag.

I dont see what the problem is.
So bow hunters should use their points but rifle hunters shouldn't have to.

I say again: The hunters who get the best tags are the ones who bow hunt least(contribute less). That's just wrong.

As it relates to the colorado mule deer herd, moving the season structure foward to the 2015-2019 format is great news. Moving the seasons back in 2020 did a lot of damage very quickly, this is really good news.

It will be interesting to see how they set the unit quotas for the archery draw, do they make it high enough most tags can be drawn 2nd choice or are they gonna make people use that first choice for most archery tags. Hope its the latter, thatll unclog the pipes a bit

Now just make 2nd and 3rd rifle tags on a draw for NRs and we'll be doin alright.

Also makes me reconsider my plans for this year. This will be the last year that the "lesser" 3rd season buck tags will be peak rut. If you have a unit you like to hunt that takes 0pts to draw a 3rd tag, this is you're year.

Last edited:
Now you're just describing everyone I know down here in the southwest units that got taken out of the otc units a few years ago.
Yep and that was an absolute bs move as well. It sucks in every way. And every step the CPW is doing exactly the opposite of what the surveys and the people are saying.

I say again: The hunters who get the best tags are the ones who bow hunt least(contribute less). That's just wrong.

Archery season occurs during the rut. The number of hunters should be limited, regardless of weapon. The free for all must end. Just because you wear face paint and sling an arrow doesnt mean you dont have an impact.

I like the proposals staff is suggesting. Curios to see if the Board feels the same. It is a bigger win for deer than I expected. Options for earlier archery deer and deer in 1st rifle determined on area level. I think going back to the earlier dates will let a few more mature bucks make it through. The elimination of otc archery elk looks like a pretty big fight coming. I think staff wanted to see what happens to revenue on archery before they tackle eliminating non res otc elk.

I don't disagree with your statement. I'm saying that if it were up to me, I would force people to use their points for ANY A-list tag in ANY Season. Male or Female.

As far as those who have contributed the least, I am not sure I agree with that. The are still buying points and even though they are not hunting they are still buying a hunting license on a yearly basis. If someone wants to sit out and wait for a unit. so be it. These changes will not impact anyone who wants to bowhunt Colorado. You will be able to find a place to hunt...the time for having your cake and eating it too, is over. For everyone hopefully.

Last edited:
Food for thought, from the report, discussing rifle OTC elk tags:

"Potential disadvantages to maintaining the status quo for OTC rifle elk licenses over the next BGSS: ... Bull harvest and herd sex ratios will continue to largely be regulated by the second and third season participation and success rates"

This fits with my intuition, and the numbers I've looked at in specific units, that OTC rifle kills more bulls and limits age class more than archery. Despite archery hunters griping about crowding (me included), limiting OTC archery before OTC rifle is ass-backwards.

Why do they do this? Outfitter pressure?

Archery season occurs during the rut. The number of hunters should be limited, regardless of weapon. The free for all must end. Just because you wear face paint and sling an arrow doesnt mean you dont have an impact.
Where is your data to prove that archery elk is having an impact on the rut and pregnancy rates? You make such a claim back it up with data.

Oh here is a little hint. The data show’s that the the quiet period between the archery season and the 1st rifle is the most important time for actual breeding, and as a result it was the excuse given for decades on keeping the muzzy tag in the middle of archery.

So I will wait for the data showing the archery hunting needs to be limited because it messes with the rut.

Im good with doing away with OTC rifle elk tags as well. Have never participated in that portion of the season. Obviously they left it out because it would cause the most uproar amongst residents.

Im good with doing away with OTC rifle elk tags as well. Have never participated in that portion of the season. Obviously they left it out because it would cause the most uproar amongst residents.
No, they left it out since it is the biggest money maker for the state. I think most residents ( myself included) wanted otc to go away for NR, and stay for R. After that it seemed like everyone would be okay if all OTC went away completely, but keeping otc where the harvest rates are 2x’s that of archery makes very little sense. Something tells me this year otc archery will be even more nuts as everyone knows it is going away and they will be trying to get a point for 2025 season

No, they left it out since it is the biggest money maker for the state. I think most residents ( myself included) wanted otc to go away for NR, and stay for R. After that it seemed like everyone would be okay if all OTC went away completely, but keeping otc where the harvest rates are 2x’s that of archery makes very little sense. Something tells me this year otc archery will be even more nuts as everyone knows it is going away and they will be trying to get a point for 2025 season

That too for sure!!

Archery will likely be a Zoo this year, more so than the last 3 or 4 years. Last chance! Either way, limiting access during september is a good idea. The FS roads were getting too crowded, grouse were becoming hard to come by 🙄 😅

That too for sure!!

Archery will likely be a Zoo this year, more so than the last 3 or 4 years. Last chance! Either way, limiting access during september is a good idea. The FS roads were getting too crowded, grouse were becoming hard to come by 🙄 😅
That 700 dollar archery grouse tag gets expensive for the NR lol

I read most of this trying to find actual season dates. If it was there, I missed it. Maybe somebody can dumb it down for me.

For next year, what are the dates for 1R, 2R, 3R?

For this year, it is:
Oct 12-16
Oct 26-Nov 3
Nov 9-15

Thanks.

It's not there:
If they go back to the old dates it should be:
1st 10/11-10/15
2nd 10/18-10/26
3rd 11/1-11/11

If they go back to the earlier dates in 2025 it will look somewhat like this
1st rifle: 10/11-10/15
2nd rifle: 10/18-10/26
3rd rifle: 11/01-11/09
4th rifle: 11/12-11/16

Hopefully a good turnout by bowhunters @ the Denver “open Mic night” 13-14th this month.

If anything, good place to vent.

I for one do NOT want deer hunters running around in my 1st season elk unit that I have waited 15+ years to hunt!
I don't agree at all with them giving first season deer tags anywhere in the state. The idea should be to give the deer a little relief so they can make some sort of a comeback. I bet a lot of people would be surprised at how many bucks would be taken if they offered a first season hunt.

These changes may mess with my plans not only this year, but also next.

This year, with 5 elk points, I was thinking I could draw a tag that took 3 last year. But with the tag reductions and going from 35 to 25% NR, who knows.

For next year, was planning to draw the same unit for deer. It took 8 points last year, and I have 11. With reduced tags and 1st season in 2025, I'll be on here asking MMers how they think the points will shake out.

This will definitely make 2nd and 3rd season busier for OTC elk hunters burning up the roads and SXS trails. I hunted a 16 year 3rd season draw tag for deer last year and the OTC elk traffic was crazy. The first season deer is a good idea. I would say split the 2nd season quota up between 1st and 2nd season. Maybe 25 percent first season/75 percent 2nd season but leave 3rd and 4th season alone. (would be minimal impact on 1st elk guys that waited 15-20 years to shoot a 280 bull :)). As a NR I think they should limit the NR OTC 2nd and 3rd tags to every other year. You can still plan as a group and this will help the pressure. Raise the fees some on both R and NR if they have to. Yes residents can pay a tank of gas for a tag, it will be ok. The overall experience would be much better for everyone and success rates would increase, keeping harvest goals similar due to the elk not hiding out like fugitives (my opinion).

I don't agree at all with them giving first season deer tags anywhere in the state. The idea should be to give the deer a little relief so they can make some sort of a comeback. I bet a lot of people would be surprised at how many bucks would be taken if they offered a first season hunt.

This is very true. Where I hunt, I see tons of deer, nice bucks to boot, during 1st season elk. Right before 2nd season they usually begin their mirgration and become much harder to find until they pop up on the winter grounds.

Many of those deer hunters who spend 10s of points on 4th season tags say the same exact thing about elk hunters 😀 I know I have.
I have as well when I burned 16 points on a 4th season buck tag. Maybe 1st rifle is for elk only and 4th season is for buck only or just not have a 4th season?

This is very true. Where I hunt, I see tons of deer, nice bucks to boot, during 1st season elk. Right before 2nd season they usually begin their mirgration and become much harder to find until they pop up on the winter grounds.
My point exactly.

Let's just make 1st season elk and deer 10/1-15 and 2nd season combined 10/16-31 and that's the end except late cow hunts.

Also take archery back to the last sat in August opener.

The archery/muzz overlap.. I had forgot about that, the muzz deserves separate dates. I do not understand how that happened in the first place. Especially for the points some of the muzz hunts are for elk vs archery.
4th muzzy deer would be a good idea. The vulnerability/quality hunt of 4th but with range limitations while they are out the sage.

How about taking MZ out of the overlap with Archery and making the 1st season combined deer an elk Muzzy. Then make 4th Season a separate Muzzy Only season.

Not an option. The time for new thoughts is past. They will vote on one of the presented alternatives.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom