Public animals sold into private hands

johnnycake

Count it up. That is 290 head of disease free, technically wild bison going up for sale into private hands. And they do this every year (some years more, others less). But yet there are only 2 Antelope Island bison tags in the draw? Hmmm...

That's an entire herd objective in the Henries or Bookcliffs.

You could easily have bison in the Uintahs, Manti, La Sals, Grouse Creek, and a few other places in Utah--but for the public grazing parasites. The only reason bison is a OIAL hunt that most will never get to do is this. Utah could have +10k head of wild bison within a decade but it won't.

All sorts of places in the western states that could have these bison free roaming on public or tribal lands. But instead, they will go to private ranches and sold for canned hunts.

Screenshot_20231107_084517_Facebook.jpg

Biologists are paid to produce studies that keep this sort of practice in play.

Too dangerous to spread the wealth.

So the way I see it, there could be a hunt of approximately 30 either sex or bull tags and 30 cow tags? Maybe a few more. Every year.
By comparison, statewide across all herds and hunts there are usually 100-130 bison tags each year.

Imagine if instead, DWR created 5 new herd using these animals over the next 5 years. Before 2030 Utah would be able to offer hundreds more tags each year. It wouldn't solve point creep for bison, but it would take a huge chunk out of it.

I’m all for residents or other hunters getting a shot at them. I would not call them wild. Arizona also has a place that you can hunt Buffalo and that aren’t wild. They get supplemental feed in the winter and regular pen time for examination and treatments. The Kaibab herd is truly wild though.

I’m all for residents or other hunters getting a shot at them. I would not call them wild. Arizona also has a place that you can hunt Buffalo and that aren’t wild. They get supplemental feed in the winter and regular pen time for examination and treatments. The Kaibab herd is truly wild though.
I've hunted wild bison in the Henries and in interior Alaska, and I get what you're saying. But Antelope Island bison are wild enough to be B&C eligible.

Good to see you brought your campaign over here too. Get it done.

If Antelope Island buffalo are wild enough for B&C I don't see the difference from high fence hunting. Maybe just me.

Move them all to other areas all the while vilifying the people who need to be on board. Great way to build consensus.

AI bison ain't a tenth as wild as your average mountain cow.

And, we are having enough issues with elk pushing deer of winter range. How will that work with bison?

Utah is an open range state. Can't wait for the carnage in 6 or 89.

I'm not anti bison anymore than I'm anti grizzly. But, we don't live in wide open spaces anymore.

Having said that, between business sales and $fw, you'd think AI should be the most amazing place in earth. Yet, alas, it's not

Last edited:
The Tatanka has never done it for me. They aren’t smart, they don’t taste near as good as beef or elk and they are a pain in the butt when they are on the ground. Save the feed for the Muley Deers!

AI antelope?

AI antelope ain't a tenth as wild as your average mountain cow.

And, we are having enough issues with elk pushing deer of winter range. How will that work with bison?

Utah is an open range state. Can't wait for the carnage in 6 or 89.

I'm not anti bison anymore than I'm anti grizzly. But, we don't live in wide open spaces anymore.

Having said that, between business sales and $fw, you'd think AI should be the most amazing place in earth. Yet, alas, it's not

I'm pretty sure that is the OP's intent. Nothing wrong with with trying transplants. Convincing the the stake holders is the problem.
I'm sure all those deer on the Henries and Book Cliffs would appreciate more competition.

Good to see you brought your campaign over here too. Get it done.

If Antelope Island buffalo are wild enough for B&C I don't see the difference from high fence hunting. Maybe just me.

Move them all to other areas all the while vilifying the people who need to be on board. Great way to build consensus.
About 7 years ago when I first realized the scope of this auction, I got pretty deep into discussions with UDWR on how to make something like this happen. I played the polite, "let's collaborate" and discuss game. The public grazer interests involved were never anything less than ascerbic, and the bottom line came to without a serious public showing of support it would never happen. Working with certain CWMUs was much more productive until it became clear they wouldn't budge from the current private/public tag split.

So yeah, I'm tired of sugar coating this one. More people should be upset at the lopsided control and seat at the table that public grazing interests have in wildlife management decisions.

There's a reason these animals were "hunted" until the brink of extinction. They are both dumb and unafraid of little humans... I think many bison in the west are more wild now than when there were millions of them. Id like to see more opportunity to hunt them as well...

There's a reason these animals were "hunted" until the brink of extinction. They are both dumb and unafraid of little humans... I think many bison in the west are more wild now than when there were millions of them. Id like to see more opportunity to hunt them as well...
They are also very good at outcompeting cattle for resources.

I'm not necessarily arguing with you.

But I am honestly confused.

We have a real shortage of winter range. And, you keep pointing out grazers, who folks believe compete with summer range.

So the solution is reintroduce a larger, more aggressive bison onto both ecosystems?

If your concerned that much about grazers, isn't the simple answer to buy the lease?

The Manti isn't going to hold them, and not because of grazers, but because of hay. How, exactly, are you keeping bison off alfalfa, that has become the money crop? How are you keeping them off 89?

I understand the concern, but I believe it's pretty sophomoric to say "the grazers".

Which county commissioners, and UDot reps did you talk to?

My neighbor had bison. His bull got out and totalled up 3 cars, and that was in a low speed road.

I think they taste good, so if it worked out, great, I just don't see how.

Hey BR!

You're Thinking Of The Tame Yellowstone Herd!

There's Some On The Henrie's That'd Prove Your 'DUMB' Comment Wrong!

It's been attempted to buy out grazing leases and use the aums for wildlife but been rejected by agencies and courts.

I was under the understanding that has changed and sections can be bought for ecosystem fix? On BLM?

I could be wrong

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom