Quail Updates? and Mearns Pics

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Well, generally speaking it's been a slow year for quail of all species for most everyone I know. Certain areas that got early rains seemed to be fine but overgrazing and late rains made for tough scaley and gambels hunting in most areas. I'd like to hear how my MM buddies bird seasons have turned out so post your updates and compare notes. The only good quail hunting I've had this year was for mearns but that figures as they are dependent upon monsoon rains late in the summer. As soon as bird season is over and I can't work my dog the sheep and oryx had better watch out...here's some mearns pics.

Mearns country, high grass, steep, and rocky. If you look closely in the middle of the pic I managed to take this shot right as my buddy was shooting at a flushed bird. Had no idea he was on birds or that I had taken the picture of him shooting until after the fact.
IMG_0636-1.jpg

Close up.
IMG_0641.jpg

2 limits of mearns on the tailgate. Be careful not to shoot mearns covies up too much when you find them. Pick a couple of birds and move on to the next group.
IMG_0642.jpg

Birds and my buddy's and my 18 month bird dogs that are absolutely dialed in on birds for their age. A killer bird pointing and flushing duo to hunt over...

IMG_0645.jpg

Post some more bird and dog pics and good luck in the rest of the season.

-Cody

That is a great pile of mearns. I have never even shot one.
Here is a pic I took this year though.

2008ZachsbullLaurensoryxotherstu-15.jpg

2008ZachsbullLaurensoryxotherstu-14.jpg

Cool pics, great country you are in. looks like unit 17 or the uvas. Saw tons of mearns on my deer hunt in 17. Congrats.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom