question about chains on new trucks

LouieT

I am in the market for a new 4x4 truck and have a question about chains on them. I am considering a Ford F150 or a GMC 1500. Does anyone have a 2010 or newer truck and run chains on them on the front axle? Thanks

I know Ford will have you sign a waiver saying you won't use chains on their trucks..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

And in GM handbook that comes with vehicle it has it in BOLD letters DO NOT PUT CHAINS ON FRONT WHEELS, CAN CAUSE DAMAGE.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

My friend just bought a new ford 150. He said he is going to put spacers on to bring the wheel out far enough for chains to work without hitting anything. He was putting a lift kit on, also. I had to do the same thing with my 2002 Tacoma. 2inch spacers, lift kit and redrill the spacer holes to get them to fit the lugs. It was a pain but has worked well. I've use chains on the front and worked it hard with no problems. But chains will not clear if you don't do a bunch of work. These idiots designing these new trucks have no clue how important chains are out here.

I have always had a set of chains for my trucks. Don't use them every year but always good to have them on hand. I have used on my bigger truck ford super dutys and a turbo diesel excursion. Which is pretty much the same thing.
As for what type I have always used the chain type. They work good for my type of use ,mud snow. If you are in a area with alot of ice use , you may want to get the ice bitter type.
Always try them on at home in the drive way and check for clearance. I use a chain tensioner of sometype to take the slack out or to help keep them snug. So you dont take out a fender. ;-)
Try to keep yourself out of trouble and use them wisely. I had to pull a friends trailer off the mountain a few years ago that got snowed in. We had to pound or way up to the trailer with four wheelers and shovels to knock down the 3 feet of snow so I could get hooked up to his trailer. Then It was a bobsled ride to the bottom of the mountain. Trailer sliding everywhere and every time I hit the brakes it would just go faster.Those are some fun memories helpping people out :)
I have a couple of winched vehicles and a jeep with detriot lockers front and rear. Plus I live on the river,so whenever someone gets stuck they come knocken. It fun though !!
2805100_2829.jpg

If you notice the catch and release sticker on the winch.

work policy is we will have chains in our trucks at all times. Policy to go with that is chains on the rear with 1 chain on the front passenger tire (if needed) to help steer. No I dont drive a semi, I drive a 09 2500hd chev.

The passenger tire thing is for the vehicles with a solid front axle, theres less steering parts on the left side for the chain to tear off if it comes off..

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

bucklover....FYI....if you alter the front end and wheels to get chains on and if you should have an accident and GM Rep inspects the wheels etc and sees the alteration YOUR warrantee is invalid and they will not fix your vehicle. I have seen that happen a few times here with young guys changing the vehicle wheels etc and came back to bite them in the arse.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Kilowatt, Thanks, I'm sure that's the case. I don't need to worry about it because my truck is too old. However, I just asked my friend tonight if the dealership had mentioned anything about that and he said "no". They were putting on the lift kit and spacers tomorrow. So, I guess time will tell. Thanks for the info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom