Question about the Big Horn Sheep draw

I was looking at how many tags they give out per unit and it seems to be 1 to 2, So is it just a random draw for sheep?
The Department shall reserve a maximum of 20% of the hunt permit-tags for each hunt number, except as established under subsection (C)(2)(b), for bear, deer, elk, javelina, pronghorn, Sandhill crane, and turkey and reserve a maximum of 20% of the hunt permit-tags for all hunt numbers combined statewide for bighorn sheep and bison to issue to persons who have bonus points and shall issue the hunt permit-tags as established under subsection

The Department shall reserve a maximum of 20% of the hunt permit-tags for each hunt number, except as established under subsection (C)(2)(b), for bear, deer, elk, javelina, pronghorn, Sandhill crane, and turkey and reserve a maximum of 20% of the hunt permit-tags for all hunt numbers combined statewide for bighorn sheep and bison to issue to persons who have bonus points and shall issue the hunt permit-tags as established under subsection
Thanks for the information!
Joe

It's bit more complicated for a NR. First, there's the 10 cap rule which would apply to the total permits available. This year, that would be 12 permits (10% of 122) for both subspecies. Then there's also the second part of the rule in bold. It means that if there is only ONE permit in a hunt, a NR can't get it because it would exceed the 50% part.
E. The Department shall make available to nonresidents: 1. For bighorn sheep and bison, no more than one hunt permit-tag or 10% of the total hunt permit-tags, whichever is greater, for bighorn sheep or bison in any computer draw. The Department shall not make available more than 50% nor more than two bighorn sheep or bison hunt permit-tags of the total in any hunt number

It's bit more complicated for a NR. First, there's the 10 cap rule which would apply to the total permits available. This year, that would be 12 permits (10% of 122) for both subspecies. Then there's also the second part of the rule in bold. It means that if there is only ONE permit in a hunt, a NR can't get it because it would exceed the 50% part.
E. The Department shall make available to nonresidents: 1. For bighorn sheep and bison, no more than one hunt permit-tag or 10% of the total hunt permit-tags, whichever is greater, for bighorn sheep or bison in any computer draw. The Department shall not make available more than 50% nor more than two bighorn sheep or bison hunt permit-tags of the total in any hunt number
Yeah I am a nonresident, but I do have a lifetime hunting lic. so it does get me in the res pool. I was just wondering if there is only 1 tag for that hunt would it go to a random draw?

There are only 11 max point holders left, if 20% go to max and there are not 20 max point holders will they technically have 3 draws? Two bonus pass draws and then the random? Or do will they do the bonus pass and then the random? Which means there will be more tags in the random this yr.

Every BP holder is included in the 20% round, not only those with max points. They just go progressively down the total BPs until 20% of the permits are doled out. Then those who haven't drawn in that round are reshuffled for new numbers for the 1-2 pass.

And with sheep...it's even possible a max point holder doesn't get a permit in the 20% if his hunt choices are ones where the permits were already allotted before his turn.

I have a question.

A tag happened to get returned that had been drawn in the bonus pass.
Would it get reissued to the person who was next in line in the bonus round?
Or would it go to the next in line chosen from the random pass draw group?

I have a question.

A tag happened to get returned that had been drawn in the bonus pass.
Would it get reissued to the person who was next in line in the bonus round?
Or would it go to the next in line chosen from the random pass draw group?
With sheep, it's a bit different than it is for elk because the bonu round is predicated on the total sheep permits and not for each individual hunt. IOW, if there's 122 permits, 12 go into the bonus round.

I'm guessing it would be a good bet that a turned in permit would go to the person who didn't get one the first go round, has the highest number of BPs and has that SPECIFIC hunt as 1st or 2nd choice and.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom