Question of the Day ..... Trekking Poles

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Question of the Day ... Do you use trekking poles at all whiling hunting and/or backpacking into a hunting area?

I remember years ago my buddy and I making cracks about dudes using "walking sticks". It seemed so granola, and appeared all they were doing was packing extra weight. Man, was I a dope!
I use them on all my backpack trips and sometimes even when I'm doing a tough, before daylight hike into a hunting spot. (I don't use them while hunting) I discovered that not only do they help a person with balance, but also allows me to use my arms to take about 20-25 lbs. off my legs.

Another question for those who do use trekking poles. I can buy a basic set that weighs about 1 lb. for $40-$50. Is it worth it to go with the carbon model that weighs 13 oz., and pay an additional $100? I've never used the carbon model.

7146ultralight-carbon-3.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I'm with you Founder. Never did until I took them on a long six day trek through the uinta's from Wyoming to Moon lake area a few years back. They get alot of use now.

might be a dumb question here but what do you do with them once you start hunting?

Stick with the aluminum model. you can more or less straighten them out if you bend one by falling on it or something. If you break a carbon one you cant fix it. And you can buy 3 sets for the price.
They also make a great monopod to shoot from with a rifle, but I don't use them on bowhunts except for the packout with game/meat. On the RM sheep hunt with Pleasedear (Robb) we used them all the time due to the extreme ground we were hunting. never hunt without them. make a good split if you twist a ankle or knee. use as a flag pole if flagging antelope, check out sage brush for rattle bugs when walking in the sage... lots of uses besides walking.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-14 AT 12:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-14 AT 12:15?PM (MST)

I have a pair of Black Diamond Trail Shock poles. You can get rubber tips to replace the carbide tips. I really like them. The advertised weight is 1 lb 4oz. They collapse down to about 27 inches.

After trying the $40 types it's worth the extra $100 for a better pair.

My buddy used some on a backpack hunt last year when we had 6-10 inches of wet snow, and he murdered me on the steep uphill sections with the extra traction. So needless to say I bought some, planning on using them all the time, but just found them to be a hindrance in brush and rocks and a pain to set down and pick up when I needed to glass. So I basically never use them. They are great for uphill trail hiking, and for ice/melting snow, but slow you down in sage, and rock.

"What to do with them while hunting?"

I usually just stuff them in my pack. I usually carry a large enough pack all the time to pack an animal out, so I have the room to carry the poles when not using them.

My concern with carbon is how well the hold up. I have bent and broken several poles from falling in rocks while the pole is in-between rocks. I'd sure be sick if I broke a carbon pole like that. $40.00 to replace is one thing, $140.00 is another.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I use them if my pack is over 70 pounds or if I am on inclines over 30 degrees where the traction is iffy. I usually have a rifle rest on the top of one pole. I destroy a set every 3rd hunt or so and is worth every dollar spent.

They are the greatest invention since range finders, ive had mine for about four years and they really help an old guy get up the Idaho hills. In 2012 i broke my ankle while packing an elk hind quarter in Wyoming in about a foot of snow on a steep incline. Thank God for the sticks,as i was able to push my self up and gain my balance to make it back to the truck.

I started using one, now depending on the terrain I use 2.

They collapse nicely into Eberlestock scabbards when you pull the rifle out. Or they can strap on.

I have several, and I really do like the Easton Carbon ones I bought on Camofire. If they come on again I will be a buyer.

I don't leave camp without them. I spent the extra $$$ and got carbon. Every extra ounce counts for me. You can use them to set up a shelter, tent, or tarp too. Best INVESTMENT you can make.

Traditional >>>------->

I carry 1 collapsible most of the time most of the seasons. Use it some. I work in a ski town and have access to lots of old bent miss matched ski poles. I have them with my frame pack in the 4 door jeep. Most of our Guided elk come out on frame packs so I take both poles. I like them. Going back in the next day I lead and beat the snow off the trees for the guys behind me. My 2013 archery bull was an over loaded badlands the night I got him and three frame loads the next day REAL glad I had them for
the first 200 yards of that pack.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-14 AT 06:27AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-14 AT 06:20?AM (MST)

Carbon fiber poles can be found for much less than $140...I bought a pair of Komperdell carbon fiber poles a few weeks back from sierratradingpost.com for $77. Been using them lately while looking for sheds and they've already saved me several times from slipping on shale and really muddy areas.

I use them religiously now whenever I'm hiking. I spend the money and bought some of the more expensive Leki poles. They have a lifetime warranty and will replace the broken parts no questions asked. I've bent/broken a few segments over the last few years and have never had a problem getting it replaced for free. It was well worth the extra coin. I would look at REI as well, I think they also have a pretty good warrant program.

I use them on almost every hunting and packing trip.
They have literally saved my life.
Twice last year on 2 ridiculous pack outs! Man those were dumb places to shoot animals :)
The collapsible models from Black Diamond are great!
It is hard to beat the $25 set of either Aluminum or Carbon from Sams and Costco.

I too thought they were for sissies until I used them on my NWT Dall Sheep/Caribou hunt. Now I don't go hunting or hiking without them.
I too use the collapsible Black Diamonds with shocks. I have never used a cheaper pair, but they are light and once they are collapsed they don't take any room.
I have noticed some people don't know how to use them, but if you get good at it, using them just like a cross country skier, your upper body can pull you up hills and save your legs. They are also great for coming down hill, especially for a guy with a prosthetic knee!

Love them, and wouldn't hunt or hike rough country without them. Have used SwissGear, Kaito, and Black Diamond and found there wasn't any reason to spend the extra money for lightweight ones or go thru REI etc. I love the SwissGear ones I have now, but they have the lites in the handles which is really convenient for coming out after dark. They are 27" collapsed, so a little long for putting in your pack, when not in use.

My favorite single right now is my heavy duty Manfrotto Mono-Pod camera support. Twice as heavy duty as the trekking poles, goes from 19" to 58", and will fit in my backpack once I start hunting. It is my constant companion now.

I started using them a couple years ago mainly when I know I'm going to be in steeper terrain but also only use them in the steeper terrain and not while hunting. I just strap them to the outside of my pack as I can secure them so they won't make any noise. I love them especially going uphill and I was really amazed at how much they help with both stability and less fatigue as I was not a believer until I tried them!
I have the carbon ones that I picked up at Costco and I just saw them there again the other day. Can't remember the exact price but they are maybe around $50.

+1 on leki and the ebrlestock scabbard. I hate getting caught in the rough without them although they take some getting used to. Don't try them the first few times while actually hunting or you will get frustrated and quit using them before they become an advantage. Huge help for bad knees, especially on the down hills on decomposed rock with or without a pack.

I used a hiking stick for years backpacking and hunting,plain wood. Then got away from that,too much stuff I thought...

Been using an Eastman's hiking/hunting stick for 8 yrs now. Collapsable,light wt alum. with V-rest at top for shooting or bino rest. Also has threads for camera/etc.
I fended off black bear once with it.....it straightened right out.
As much of a pain at times as it is, banging on a rock/branch at wrong time,I take it with me at all times now,even just scouting or a hike.
Been seriuosly looking at REI and Costco ones for pack outs,sometime we get smarter as we get older....

Love the trekking poles and use them on all back pack hunts. Also use them while hiking in the dark and always when packing meat. I often do NOT use them while actually hunting, particularly bow hunting. Just too much in my hands. But they will be in my pack, and used once the work starts. I know for a fact I would have had multiple injuries over the last few years when under load if I wasn't using the poles. The increased balance and recovery from a missed step is priceless.
I prefer quality Leki models. I've used Cabelas XPG (not durable) and some other off brands, but the Lekis are great. I was introduced to these poles on a sheep hunt over a decade ago. Now they are always in truck, if not in my pack when I leave.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom