Question..please help..?..

M

manny15

First let me say that I'm a complete lay person when it comes to the machanics of a rifle, been shooting since I was a kid but never thought I was smart enough to understand anything as complexe as gunsmithing, that being said there are probably those here who are smart enough to answer my question, but may not due to the fact that education can make some alittle stuck up...

so here's the question...I have the Win, 70 WSM in 7mm WSM, I bought a barrel off a coyote mdl,70 in 300WSM, can I just take off the barrel and screw the 300 in, will my bolt off the 7WSM work or do I need the bolt off a 300WSM...it may be simple to you but not me....thanks Manny'

It should work fine. The case head and therefore the bolt face for both cases are the same. All you smith should have to do is screw the new bbl on and check the head space...

If the barrel shank, threads are the same, and the bolt face, it will work. but if you do not known how to head space the chamber, have a gunsmith do it for you. Excessive headspace can cause a very nasty shell case rupture.

RELH

>If the barrel shank, threads are
>the same, and the bolt
>face, it will work. but
>if you do not known
>how to head space the
>chamber, have a gunsmith do
>it for you. Excessive headspace
>can cause a very nasty
>shell case rupture.
>
>
RELH

they're both the same model barrels win, mdl 70 coyote sporter SS barrel, does that make it easier to exchange.....?..

Manny;
If they are both the same model, it should be a straight across swap with only a need to check the headspace after swapping the barrel.

RELH

is it a push feed or controlled round feed (pre 64 type)? if it is a controlled round action, you may have a problem with the extractor notch lining up. i've had quite a few model 70's rebarreled over the years. a couple with barrels from other model 70's. the extractor notch never lined up and had to have some machining done and then had to be re-headspaced. basically what they had to do was ream the chamber a few thousandths deeper to make up for what was lost when the barrell face was machined.

>is it a push feed or
>controlled round feed (pre 64
>type)? if it is
>a controlled round action, you
>may have a problem with
>the extractor notch lining up.
> i've had quite a
>few model 70's rebarreled over
>the years. a couple
>with barrels from other model
>70's. the extractor notch
>never lined up and had
>to have some machining done
>and then had to be
>re-headspaced. basically what they
>had to do was ream
>the chamber a few thousandths
>deeper to make up for
>what was lost when the
>barrell face was machined.

WOW I'M FOR SURE LETTING MY SMITH DO THE WORK,,THANKS FOR THE HELP..MANNY

not trying to discourage you, but there is a big difference in the two action types. one other thing, as new as the cartridges are, there might not be a lot of gunsmiths with reamers for those cartridges. one thing about it, when you get done, you'll have a 2 barrel set, sorta like an over and under shotgun. good luck.

RLH,

I only paid 50 buc's for the barrel, if it works then it was cheaper then buying a hole other gun..?..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom