question

M

marksmen

i live in Kansas but own a ranch in oklahoma. My question is do i have to pay for an out of state permit to hunt on my own ranch? if so isn't that kinda a bunch of crap that is pay property tax yet don't get any privilages(sp.?) out of it what so ever. just wondering if there was any way i could get the privilages of a resident on just my own ranch.

kinda off the subject but hows the hunting in Ok? I have some family near Ok city that invited me out to hunt this fall or next year, I think the town is Farwest or something similar.

If I owned a ranch in OK and had a mailing address there, I would consider myself a resident until told differently by OK.

JB

I believe to claim residency you have to live there 6 months and have a drivers license that say you are from that state.

To buy a license and tag, do you have to show a drivers license etc. where you live to obtain the tags you want?? If you do, I would think it is like any other state, you are still considered a non-resident even though you have land there. Be carefull on what you decide.

Brian

If you own it then you have a right to claim residency. That is my take if you have to pay taxes. Best go by the law though???

NBJB

apply for a non-resident land owners tag.
they are cheaper, but your still a non-resident.
it sucks but if it wasn't that way every one would buy land in different states just to hunt cheep.
lets look at it 150,000 for land and a 35 dollar tag.
or 500 bucks for a non res. tag.
hum, seams to me i can buy a lot of tags for 150,000 bucks.
about 300 years worth.
I know this is'nt a good comparesion, but living there makes the difference.
you have 2 opptions.
Keep making the big bucks by living in the state your in.
pay a little more in tag fees.
or move.

You can only claim residency in one state , you cannot leggaly posses two resident liscences.

You are a resident of whatever state you file your income taxes in and have a valid driver's license in. So I would say most definately you would be considered a non-res.

Talk to a lawyer about it. In 1997 My brothers and I had resident tags in Montana, but were going to a private college in Utah. A MT game warden found out about it, called us down to his office, confiscated our tags, and gave us a "courtesy citation" (a strong warning). We were devastated. My little brother is now a lawyer in Montana and has studied that law (specific to MT and our situation). The game warden was legally wrong in taking our tags. My brother spoke with the District Attorney (who prosecutes for the Fish and Game) and he agreed that although we were living primarily out of state, we were still considered legal residents of MT and could legally buy tags.
Your situation is a little different. Based on my experience, I would check with a lawyer and the Fish and Game both before buying any tags.
By the way, I did have another brother who illegally bought resident tags one time and got caught. He was fined $900 and lost his hunting priviledges in 4-5 western states for 18 months. I felt bad for him, but he got what he deserved.

Ethics and Morals

Yes you are considered a non-resident. Your primary residence is in Kansas and not Oklahoma. Im not trying to be confrontational, just wondering if you think its the right thing to do ?

RE: Ethics and Morals

thanks for all the information. sounds like i am pretty much screwed and will have to keep paying non-resident money for a tag.

RE: Ethics and Morals

However, in some states you can receive landowner preference tags from the DFW which allow you to harvest animals on your own property. In Oregon, you have to own a minimum of 40 acres for which you can get two elk tags, the more property the more tags you are entitled to. Might want to check into this in OK.

LBR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom