Quick NM bear question

MtnMuley

As a non resident that drew an elk tag, can I buy a bear tag also over the counter, or is it draw also? I don't have the regs in front of me and no real desire to shoot another bear, but was just curious. Thanks.

Yes you can buy over the counter but if the hunt has already opened there is a waiting period before you can go hunting. Don't recall how long but 48 hours rings a bell. I think a NR bear tag is somewhere shy of $300.
BB

A NR bear is $260, and according the proclamation, "You must purchase a license to hunt bear AT LEAST TWO DAYS BEFORE HUNTING." Lastly, before you spend that $260, you might want to check this link to see whether the zone you intend to hunt is still open, or whether it's been closed due to this year's quota already being met:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/harvest/documents/092810_bear_harvest.pdf

If you check the previous years, most of these zones have been closed within a couple weekends after the rifle hunts start (9/23).

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-10 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]$260 for a nonresident and there is a 48 hour waiting period after you buy the license before you can legally shoot a bear.

I'm having a hard time deciding, but that seems like a lot of money when there isn't really that much of a chance that you will see a bear especially if you aren't specifically hunting for them.

Of course if I don't buy one I'll see a huge beautiful bear and not be able to shoot it. ;-)

Looks like it won't matter, just a few bears left before it hits the limit for GMU 36.

You know how it is--you always see whatever species you don't have a tag for, but yeah, Zone 6 looks like it'll be closed by this weekend. Still, I'm sure the poor state of NM wouldn't mind taking a rich Texan's money... ;-)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom