Quitting cold turkey.

Deercy

I am pretty focused from September on until all tags are expired. Its all work, leading up to the departure. Then its all work until the hunt is completed. Then repeat. I cant even remember the last time I sat in my den and relaxed. When the last hunting season is over, I'm drained. I usually tell my wife, quite truthfully, that I'm probably taking the next year off. Then one of my buds will text me from the high lonesome. Add some kill pics from someone on a later hunt. Like a junkie, I start to get anxious. Next step is the jitters. Then all my good intentions are gone in one rash decision. Yesterday I started showing signs. Next thing I know, I was working late, getting my guys set up for today. Then I threw my gear in the Toyota, loaded my dogs, and drove until I was in pheasant land. Now I'm on my way back, slightly ashamed, tired, and ready to try again.

IMG-20231116-WA0033.jpg

I hear you. It happens eventually. I’ve been ignoring it and suppressing it for about 5 years now. Much as my love for the lifestyle, when I turned 69, I layed out me plan to use all my significant accumulated big game points before I turned 75…….. because I could feel the breeze starting blow on the back of my neck. I used my Wyoming antelope and mule deer points, conceded 22 moose points (that was a tough one but I correctly allowed reason to prevail), used my LE Utah mule deer tag and my black bear tag, and this year used my 16 Colorado points to group draw a mule deer tag with my son and grandson in the 3rd season. As of yesterday both have filled their tags and I chose not to go with them and will let my tag go unhunted. I will travel to New Mexico to be in proximity when a different grandson will most likely bring home a desert big horn sheep and I want to be there to celebrate with him and his Dad.

It’s hasn’t been an easy year because in my head I still wanted to hunt but I knew it was my time to accept the reality of my circumstances, it was the right time, not only for me but all those in my family who have so generously supported my 64 years of hunting, starting with ducks at 14 years of age, 2 miles from boyhood prairie home and ending with a black bear, 15 minutes from my mountain cabin. Without a life time of support from parents, uncles and aunts, my sweet wife and 5 amazing children, it never would have happened. Collectively they allowed me to live a life filled with joy and astonishing outdoor experiences. I truly feel like I have lived better than the most elite members of the human race. I have developed a strong faith in a living and personal God, and if Heaven comes close to this Earth and all that it offers, I can’t imagine anything better or more glorious.

So…… fear not my friend, regardless of your age, you are cycling through the phases of life and allowing it to play out, as it should, like it has for all of us, fortunate enough to have lived at a time and a place, where we have had the privilege of experiencing the very best, of the very best this old World has to give. And…… you too will know when it’s time to say, “thanks, it has been absolutely wonderful but it’s time to “let go”, and be glad that it ended the way has, fully spent, and fully rewarded.

Truth. When that time comes, I've always been curious if the memories of long, cold, lonely nights, high passes where the wind screams, sound of wind and water in the air, smells of the pines, will make it easier or harder. My wife and kids have sacrificed, no doubt. But they have experienced a lot also. My boys have seen country before they reached their teens that very few will. They heard the magical sound of a lone locator bugle coming from dark hillsides, long before most.

Truth. When that time comes, I've always been curious if the memories of long, cold, lonely nights, high passes where the wind screams, sound of wind and water in the air, smells of the pines, will make it easier or harder. My wife and kids have sacrificed, no doubt. But they have experienced a lot also. My boys have seen country before they reached their teens that very few will. They heard the magical sound of a lone locator bugle coming from dark hillsides, long before most.
It will be harder but it will also feel right, because you will feel full. Full of those sites, smells and sounds and you will know and remember the best of the best. It would be a tragedy to have lived without out those memories. Sleep well Deercy.

Nice post(s). I turned 40 back at the beginning of this month. It is the first time I had ever stopped to think that I definitely have more hunting years in the rearview mirror than in front.

Lump, get a camera. Seriously. It will change the way you see things and digital taxidermy is the best. :)

Lump, get a camera. Seriously. It will change the way you see things and digital taxidermy is the best. :)
Great point blue. I got into the digital taxidermy back in the 1990’s when it was a hot ticket. By the 2010 period I had gone through a bunch of different systems ending up with Canan Gl1 Mini Dv Camcorder and the big brother to the Canan ESO series still camera, had a bunch of telephoto and doubler lense stuff etc. I have thousands of poorly taken digital animal and landscape images, stored on old hard drives and memory sticks and CDs, stuffed away in closets through out the house. The 1990s here still had large herds of mule deer and huge herds of elk. I spent every spare minute on in the summer and winter taking pictures and making film of those critters. After 20 years two things happened, the wildlife in my area had declined to a degree that it’s was getting harder and harder to locate the animals and the number of mature males was down to hardly any. Secondly, and this was true from the very beginning and stayed consistent until gave it up in 2012, no one had any interest in seeing the pictures or watch the videos. So with the two realities coming together, I put away the cameras and called it a day, so far as the digital taxidermy.

Now days, it takes me longer because my stamina isn’t what it used to be, I waste my time writing pointless diatribes on MM and building things out of wood for my grandkids. The order list is long and continues to grow….. so I never run out of things to do. I would still like to golf but the hips and knees just don’t allow me to swing a club without too much discomfort.

Going through this phase of life is a challenge but which one wasn’t. 😁 I still want to get up every morning and do something I enjoy everyday, it’s just different than what I did in pervious phases.

However, I very much appreciate your suggestion, it was in fact very gratifying for two full decades.

Deercry & 2lumpy,
You guys have summed it all up better than I ever could. My last 4 years of hunting have been "challenging". Holding back my son when the hill gets too steep, or the distance gets too long, makes me start to have the same thoughts you have so eloquently expressed above.
The AZ Elk apps come out in January, , , , maybe give it one more year and see how it goes. 🤞 ;)

Elkchaser

Deercry & 2lumpy,
You guys have summed it all up better than I ever could. My last 4 years of hunting have been "challenging". Holding back my son when the hill gets too steep, or the distance gets too long, makes me start to have the same thoughts you have so eloquently expressed above.
The AZ Elk apps come out in January, , , , maybe give it one more year and see how it goes. 🤞 ;)

Elkchaser
Dang right…… go until you can’t. It’s the only way to finish it.

Deercry & 2lumpy,

Elkchaser

My old man died at 54.

I'd give my left nut to just get to share camp again.

You go until you can't do it, then becomes camp biatch, fire stoker, drop off and pick up man.

You get so few chances to hang with your boy(s), when your gone, that's their legacy, their stories.

Lumpys dead on wanting to be close to where a sheep goes down. Grandpas LOVE stories.

Deercy that’s so funny , you don’t know how many times over the years I’ve thought about doing the same dam thing , and never acted.
Great 😊 on you and great pic!
Never Quit

I am 57 years old and this is the first year since I was 11 that I did not hunt. I moved to N Texas in March of this year and the lack of public land just took all desire to hunt . Maybe next year.

I've reached the age that bonus point usage is higher priority than bonus point accumulation. I continue to search for mid tier hunt opportunities in many states. NV sheep, UT LE Deer and CO elk next focus hunts.

I've reached the age that bonus point usage is higher priority than bonus point accumulation. I continue to search for mid tier hunt opportunities in many states. NV sheep, UT LE Deer and CO elk next focus hunts.
You’re doing it right. Wish you much success. You’ve invested in those points and there is no sense in leaving them unused, one day down the road.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom