Ranching for Wildlife Program

elkshooter

Hey guys,

Who has experience hunting any of the RFW ranches in Colorado? If anyone has some experience they want to share about any of the ranches I'd appreciate it.

I don't want to waste a bunch of points and shoot a raghorn or little buck. Conversely, I'm not looking for a 400" bull either. I have 8 elk points and don't want to burn them on something that isn't going to be decent. Decent = > 300"

I've heard some negative things about a couple of ranches and some very positive things about others. Wondering what your experiences have been.

Thx.

Never had any personal experience but from others have said I would avoid it. Most of the ranches like Pinion Mesa, Blue Mountain and Kiowa that you could have a decent shot at a 300 B&C bull will take a lot more points than what you have. The Crazy French which no longer is in RFW was without question the best for big bulls. From what I hear the paying hunters get first dibs, I may be wrong, hope others can help more. Good luck.

You're a long way off from getting a good RFW tag. For elk I would go to the Hill ranch or Kiowa, and deer, definately Kiowa.

Drawing is only for colorado residents. Pimp tags are for the wealthy and are part of the deal. If the RFW let's x number of in state hunters draw for tags they get a number from DOW which can be sold to the highest bidder, the seasons may stretch from archery to Dec and can be outside seasons set for the common folk.

BM

By the time you would actually have enough points to hunt a TOP RFW ranch assuming you are a resident you could draw some of the better to best elk units in the state anyway.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I've hunted Three Forks, Four Mile & Deakins (all for elk). IM me if you want specifics.

The RFW program allocates 10% of the male tags on any given ranch to Colorado residents through the draw. The ranch or outfitter gets to sell the remaining 90% to anyone they choose. 100% of the female tags go to Colorado residents through the draw.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

Tenn Vol...did you end up getting anything this year, on the 2nd hunt?

After you pulled out, I had a shot, but wasn't ready and it went w/o me taking it. I only saw, I think, 5 elk.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom