Rangefinder Ban.....It's time

20+ foot drop. Ain’t that something?

Bessy, I don’t want to take anything away from you.

That's why we can't ban rangefinders. Every dude can estimate a 20ft drop, through wind, and heat, at 1000+ yrds, they might wound one?. As we all know, the vital zone on a deer is 20ft wide.

I enjoy these discussions where hunters try to convince hunters of things they know are BS.

I use a compound bow, not because it's more lethal, but because it's easier.

I use an ATV because horses are a pain in the azz.

I use OnX because maps are tedious.

I use black powder pellets, because I tried pouring powder down a barell while laying on my back after a miss.

And LR guys use LR guns because it's easier than getting into range where an animals senses can pick them up.

Lying about the reason, only makes the rest of us detest LR more.

That's why we can't ban rangefinders. Every dude can estimate a 20ft drop, through wind, and heat, at 1000+ yrds, they might wound one?. As we all know, the vital zone on a deer is 20ft wide.

I enjoy these discussions where hunters try to convince hunters of things they know are BS.

I use a compound bow, not because it's more lethal, but because it's easier.

I use an ATV because horses are a pain in the azz.

I use OnX because maps are tedious.

I use black powder pellets, because I tried pouring powder down a barell while laying on my back after a miss.

And LR guys use LR guns because it's easier than getting into range where an animals senses can pick them up.

Lying about the reason, only makes the rest of us detest LR more.
I wonder if archery hunters would be affected by the proposed rangefinder ban?

I wonder if archery hunters would be affected by the proposed rangefinder ban?

Do you not understand the difference between archery and LR?

There are limits to let off in archery that pretty much limit the range of an arrow.

What's the limit in rifles?

Do you not understand the difference between archery and LR?

There are limits to let off in archery that pretty much limit the range of an arrow.

What's the limit in rifles?
Elaborate how banning range finders won’t affect archery hunters

I do know the difference, I’m sure not many here are as smart as you but maybe in your infinite wisdom of banning stuff you won’t screw over other guys with you being a big stiffys right hand man

One guy puts a couple range finders up for sale and bingo everyone is dumping them geeze..there's a bunch of bino's and spotting scopes being sold right now too are those being banned also..this thread is getting boring

In all honesty I'm surprised this thread has gone over 300 posts. How come it takes Utah so long to release draw odds? We can start a new thread to complain about that if Utah ever releases the stats.

In all honesty I'm surprised this thread has gone over 300 posts. How come it takes Utah so long to release draw odds? We can start a new thread to complain about that if Utah ever releases the stats.
I can agree with that. What a joke. Colorado was out like a week after the draw.

Wyoming’s was out the day the draw results were posted. Utahs living in the Stone Age when it comes to draws and tag purchasing. Maybe if
SFW kicked back a little more expo money they could upgrade the system
You want to talk about stone age, have you applied in Az? That's about as fun as it gets when you add another species to your application...

Come On Niller!

Hawkeye is Taking My SmokePole Scope!

I'm Taking Your Favorite Camo Suit!:D:D:D

What Are You Taking From Who?

Every bodies 1,000 Yard Lapua Maybe?

20+ foot drop. Ain’t that something?

Bessy, I don’t want to take anything away from you.

Come On Niller!

What Are You Taking From Who?

I'm not interested in taking anything away from anyone. I've told you before, I'll say it again: I'm tired of managing hunters and would like to start managing the animals. Let's see if that works for once before we keep just managing the hunters and get no change year after year, decade after decade.

1/2 a Century Now Niller!

I Get a Kick Out Of Most!

They're Gonna Change One F'N Thing & They Think it's gonna Fix itself!

JUDAS!

I'm not interested in taking anything away from anyone. I've told you before, I'll say it again: I'm tired of managing hunters and would like to start managing the animals. Let's see if that works for once before we keep just managing the hunters and get no change year after year, decade after decade.

"Range finders are banned for rifle season"

Literally 7 words. One bold sentence in the proclamation.

In the progression of methods to kill, of the 3 in UT, rifles are 3-4 times more lethal via kill stats.

One needs only read some of these posts, to figure out WHY.

21ft drop at 1000yrds. Shots from 10 football fields dropping 2 basketball poles stacked. Yo kill a deer with a 12" diameter vital area. A deer that routinely jumps strings from a bow, and can move several feet from gunshot to hit.

If we can't agree the animals we hunt should have a chance to see, hear, smell us, then we moved from hunting to shooting living targets.

I shoot whistle pigs at 200-300 yrds. But I never claimed I was hunting them, I'm just killing them. There's a difference.

Last edited:
"Range finders are banned for rifle season"

Literally 7 words. One bold sentence in the proclamation.

In the progression of methods to kill, of the 3 in UT, rifles are 3-4 times more lethal via kill stats.

One needs only read some of these posts, to figure out WHY.

21ft drop at 1000yrds. Shots from 10 football fields dropping 2 basketball poles stacked. Yo kill a deer with a 12" diameter vital area. A deer that routinely jumps strings from a bow, and can move several feet from gunshot to hit.

If we can't agree the animals we hunt should have a chance to see, hear, smell us, then we moved from hunting to shooting living targets.

I shoot whistle pigs at 200-300 yrds. But I never claimed I was hunting them, I'm just killing them. There's a difference.
Finally got an answer ?

Never was a secret.

Dudes just try to muddy the water and equate bows and rifles
The thread is banning rangefinders. Hope it doesn’t surprise you to know that both archery and long range use them, if the topic was banning rangefinders for rifle, It would read, Rangefinder ban for rifle hunters……..It’s time. Hopefully that helps you wonder why archery guys are chiming in to yours and big stiffies thread.

The thread is banning rangefinders. Hope it doesn’t surprise you to know that both archery and long range use them, if the topic was banning rangefinders for rifle, It would read, Rangefinder ban for rifle hunters……..It’s time. Hopefully that helps you wonder why archery guys are chiming in to yours and big stiffies thread.

The discussion in the DWR/legislature is LR hunting. Not archery. So the range finder ban is pointed towards a way to stop LR. It would be impossible to end it via caliber, rifle, etc. So getting rid of the accessories(range finders) is the only way to curtail what many see as a real issue.

Not sure how you've missed these discussions, I see your name around from time to time.

We don't have to do across weapon systems bans or regs.

We can cater them

The discussion in the DWR/legislature is LR hunting. Not archery. So the range finder ban is pointed towards a way to stop LR. It would be impossible to end it via caliber, rifle, etc. So getting rid of the accessories(range finders) is the only way to curtail what many see as a real issue.

Not sure how you've missed these discussions, I see your name around from time to time.

We can cater them
Oh good. I can still take my 120 yard archery shots then if they don’t ban range finders while hunting with a bow

We can cater them
I guess I’ve not found it important to open up something that talks about long range hunting as I don’t do that, but I hunt private land so I wouldn’t need to worry about others doing it either

I guess I’ve not found it important to open up something that talks about long range hunting as I don’t do that, but I hunt private land so I wouldn’t need to worry about others doing it either

Hunting regs don't apply on private land?

If this were to happen (it’s not, I have my own sources and they just laughed when I made an inquiry phone call this afternoon), essentially this would just apply to public land hunters. Kinda like the bait deal. What’s gonna stop people on private property from using a range finder or bait? Nothing. Not. A. Single. Thing. Ol snizzledick snider got himself into some political hot water over the bait bill. There’s a few reasons why the DWR hasn’t posted their stance on the issue OR enforcing it at the moment. But that’s another troll post for another day. You’re punishing and restricting the average general hunter. The high dollar guys won’t play by these rules on private ground. It might not feel like it, but there’s still more average hunters than high dollar hunters. The DWR (surprisingly) isn’t too fired up about hammering on your spike elk hunter over stupid trivial things like salt rocks and knowing how far your elk is before you take a shot at it. Success rates are steady right where they have been for the last 10 years. Even with technology advances, GS any bull success rates are still terrible. Only half your rifle deer hunters are killing 2 points every year and your muzzy guys still are struggling to hit 40% now, even with a magnified scope. Managing hunters hasn’t, isn’t and won’t be the problem with our wildlife numbers or getting them back up. Thank the lord almighty that some people high in the ranks can see that

But The Scope on My SmokePole Must Go!

And It's Not even a Long Range Warrior Scope!

Until HELL-RIGHT is Enforced Nothing is gonna Change Other Than it Will Keep Getting Worse!

But The Scope on My SmokePole Must Go!

And It's Not even a Long Range Warrior Scope!

Until HELL-RIGHT is Enforced Nothing is gonna Change Other Than it Will Keep Getting Worse!
Mines a long range scope. And I freaking love it. But since it’s purchase in 2016 when it became legal, I haven’t shot a deer over 100 yards with it. Didn’t use a range finder on any of them either.

For a dude who doesn't hunt LR, you sure are worried about it. Wtf do you care if you hunt private where it doesn't happen?
The freakin thread is banning range finders? It isn’t banning rangefinders only during rifle season.

We can cater them
Plus who is we? Do you have an assistant to help you post?

Yup, just pulled this out of my azz?

And you must have called that Janitor in Price if you think bans only apply to public land.

I'll bet you an elk tag on that

And you must have called that Janitor in Price if you think bans only apply to public land.

I'll bet you an elk tag on that
Got it . Two articles from 2019 and one from 2014.
I could give a flying **** about range finders.
Like any of it is going to "save the herd".

Absolutely it has nothing to do with saving deer. It only applies to saving those deer targeted by certain hunters.

I'm ok with just throwing rocks. I can get close, I can video the results and in the end a deer walks away. But doesn't that just play into the anti's?

I can't hardly believe that we want to screw each other that bad.

Got it . Two articles from 2019 and one from 2014.
I could give a flying **** about range finders.
Like any of it is going to "save the herd".

Absolutely it has nothing to do with saving deer. It only applies to saving those deer targeted by certain hunters.

I'm ok with just throwing rocks. I can get close, I can video the results and in the end a deer walks away. But doesn't that just play into the anti's?

I can't hardly believe that we want to screw each other that bad.
I know right? Just like when baiting was banned last year. This has been a long time coming, banning rangefinders on the rifle hunt this year will actually help the herd and save some deer though. The penalty for using one will be stiff. Loss of hunting privileges to start. Step in the right direction imo.

I know right? Just like when baiting was banned last year. This has been a long time coming, banning rangefinders on the rifle hunt this year will actually help the herd and save some deer though. The penalty for using one will be stiff. Loss of hunting privileges to start. Step in the right direction imo.
Okay…
Lmmfao!

Hopefully your not hiding a range finder in there,BigStiffy might turn you in ?

If this were to happen (it’s not, I have my own sources and they just laughed when I made an inquiry phone call this afternoon), essentially this would just apply to public land hunters. Kinda like the bait deal. What’s gonna stop people on private property from using a range finder or bait? Nothing. Not. A. Single. Thing. Ol snizzledick snider got himself into some political hot water over the bait bill. There’s a few reasons why the DWR hasn’t posted their stance on the issue OR enforcing it at the moment. But that’s another troll post for another day. You’re punishing and restricting the average general hunter. The high dollar guys won’t play by these rules on private ground. It might not feel like it, but there’s still more average hunters than high dollar hunters. The DWR (surprisingly) isn’t too fired up about hammering on your spike elk hunter over stupid trivial things like salt rocks and knowing how far your elk is before you take a shot at it. Success rates are steady right where they have been for the last 10 years. Even with technology advances, GS any bull success rates are still terrible. Only half your rifle deer hunters are killing 2 points every year and your muzzy guys still are struggling to hit 40% now, even with a magnified scope. Managing hunters hasn’t, isn’t and won’t be the problem with our wildlife numbers or getting them back up. Thank the lord almighty that some people high in the ranks can see that
Are these sources like sources at CNN?

F'N Amazes Me!

Everybody Picks One Item/Reason For The Shape Of Our Herds here in TARDville!

There's an Easy 50+ Reasons Why!

Will There Ever be enough Change to Bring it Back?

JUDAS!

49 Years & Counting!

I've read for years about the loss of "quality". We need a 4 point or better reg. Shut down units to create "quality". Cut more tags to create "quality". Yada, yada, yada.

LR is a tool that targets "quality". Doubt it? Go look who is hashtagged by the corporate hunters. LR rifle makers. And why? Because just like 1000's of trail cams, and semi loads of apples, IT WORKS and is EFFICIENT.

As to 2articles? Just because your too lazy to look, or your Google is broken, doesn't change the volumes of research done. You just don't look, or don't want to.

And as is usual, the average dude is behind the curve. The corporate world is openly embracing and actively seeking more tech, including AI, to maximize profits. Which, especially in Utah with it's WB controlled by special interests, won't be stopped until hunters in mass do so.

You jokers think 1000yrd shots and 21ft drops are the limit. What happens when gps guided comes(it's in development). How about nano tech? Sat connected cams?

At what point do we start saying, "perhaps that's a little too far"?

Our ancestors did. Punt guns, season dates, limits. All done to check themselves.

So when do we? When we cut to 40,000 hunters? 20,000? When mile shots are common?

Or as long as that IG pic gets thousands of likes, who cares?

I've read for years about the loss of "quality"….

Our ancestors did. Punt guns, season dates, limits. All done to check themselves.
Our ancestors were never worried about QUALITY. It was QUANTITY that they were concerned about. Range finders have nothing to do with the quantity aspect of animal populations. They only reason this discussion is being had isn’t because people are having a hard time finding a cow elk or a doe deer to shoot at. It’s because there isn’t a 180 buck behind every bush. Our ancestors were never worried about how hard they’d have to hunt to find a trophy buck. They were worried about food for the winter and to sell excess harvest to others for monetary gain. That’s why we now have bag limits, season dates, etc… it wasn’t an ethics check.

Our ancestors were never worried about QUALITY. It was QUANTITY that they were concerned about. Range finders have nothing to do with the quantity aspect of animal populations. They only reason this discussion is being had isn’t because people are having a hard time finding a cow elk or a doe deer to shoot at. It’s because there isn’t a 180 buck behind every bush. Our ancestors were never worried about how hard they’d have to hunt to find a trophy buck. They were worried about food for the winter and to sell excess harvest to others for monetary gain. That’s why we now have bag limits, season dates, etc… it wasn’t an ethics check.
[/QUOTE

Really?

They saw what unchecked hunting looked like.

My grandpa wouldn't know what a 180" buck looked like.

He could tell you how few elk were on the Manti.

Trophy is a modern creation. Most of our grandad threw away horns that were record book.

But your naive. Dudes LITERALLY went to Yellowstone, and hauled elk to Utah. Of course they knew what over hunted looked like. They actually shut down deer hunting to help recovery. They ended market hunting. They created excuse taxes, duck stamps, licenses.

Youve got your head in the sand if you don't think they knew ethics. For hell sakes, they created it

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom