Recap of CPW Allocation Meeting

WesternSky

As discussed in Thills thread, I participated last week in a focus group on license allocation. It was a well run meeting and it sounds like the commission is going to consider the recommendations from the group.

There 9 people there (1 didn't show) with a mix of interests. 5 of the 9 had outfitter interest in the form of owning an outfit or being a guide. I was leery of this in the beginning but it turned out okay.

Like thills meeting we threw out ideas that were written down and discussed amongst the group. From there, we voted on the top 3 that would be pushed to the commission.

1. I started if off with the proposal for a 90/10 R/NR split for all 1st choice ,limited, list A licenses for all species (so antelope, bear, turkey would be included since they are currently not). This would not apply to 2nd-4th choices, list B&C licenses, and leftovers. People in the group thought this was a good compromise and reduce the number of tags that NR would miss out on and money lost. This proposal received the most votes but there was significant resistance from one of the outfitters. I mentioned that a significant resident license increase needs to accompany a new allocation. In the meeting and on previous discussions here, it was recognized that this would create funding challenges. The CPW said to not consider the money aspect because there is a large pool of leftover money from previous license sales and they could make the reduced NR money work internally. I was surprised and encouraged by there ability to overcome this major challenge.

2. The next highest voted proposal was eliminating OTC completely. 3. After that was OTC for residents and limited for NR with caps(like WY's system). The % votes for both of these was really close. I don't like the idea of getting rid of OTC but I do think it is unsustainable going into the future. There was a lot of discussion about the number of hunters in OTC seasons, how it feels unsafe at times, and how CPW cant manage the herds with unlimited hunters.

The other ideas that didn't make the top 3 were noted and are a part of the meeting minutes. Some of those ideas included, making top units 60R/40NR split from 80/20 (going backwards!), mandatory reporting and not issuing tag to people that don't, harvest based allocation instead of license based quotas (keep hunting until a tag is filled, would severely limit opportunity) , changes to landowner %, and a couple others I didn't write down.

Its likely that it could be a combination of 1 and 2 or 3.

The recommendations will be moved to the commission who will make proposal that will be shared. Once done there will be public comment, like what was done on the 5 yr structure changes. From there they will make potential changes. The group suggested that any allocation changes be made in a phased in approach instead of all at once.

Overall I think it went well and we should see something happen in the future to get residents the allocation we should be receiving.

As discussed in Thills thread, I participated last week in a focus group on license allocation. It was a well run meeting and it sounds like the commission is going to consider the recommendations from the group.

There 9 people there (1 didn't show) with a mix of interests. 5 of the 9 had outfitter interest in the form of owning an outfit or being a guide. I was leery of this in the beginning but it turned out okay.

Like thills meeting we threw out ideas that were written down and discussed amongst the group. From there, we voted on the top 3 that would be pushed to the commission.

1. I started if off with the proposal for a 90/10 R/NR split for all 1st choice ,limited, list A licenses for all species (so antelope, bear, turkey would be included since they are currently not). This would not apply to 2nd-4th choices, list B&C licenses, and leftovers. People in the group thought this was a good compromise and reduce the number of tags that NR would miss out on and money lost. This proposal received the most votes but there was significant resistance from one of the outfitters. I mentioned that a significant resident license increase needs to accompany a new allocation. In the meeting and on previous discussions here, it was recognized that this would create funding challenges. The CPW said to not consider the money aspect because there is a large pool of leftover money from previous license sales and they could make the reduced NR money work internally. I was surprised and encouraged by there ability to overcome this major challenge.

2. The next highest voted proposal was eliminating OTC completely. 3. After that was OTC for residents and limited for NR with caps(like WY's system). The % votes for both of these was really close. I don't like the idea of getting rid of OTC but I do think it is unsustainable going into the future. There was a lot of discussion about the number of hunters in OTC seasons, how it feels unsafe at times, and how CPW cant manage the herds with unlimited hunters.

The other ideas that didn't make the top 3 were noted and are a part of the meeting minutes. Some of those ideas included, making top units 60R/40NR split from 80/20 (going backwards!), mandatory reporting and not issuing tag to people that don't, harvest based allocation instead of license based quotas (keep hunting until a tag is filled, would severely limit opportunity) , changes to landowner %, and a couple others I didn't write down.

Its likely that it could be a combination of 1 and 2 or 3.

The recommendations will be moved to the commission who will make proposal that will be shared. Once done there will be public comment, like what was done on the 5 yr structure changes. From there they will make potential changes. The group suggested that any allocation changes be made in a phased in approach instead of all at once.

Overall I think it went well and we should see something happen in the future to get residents the allocation we should be receiving.
Thank you for donating your time to this. It sounds like it went much better than I would have expected.

Well done WesternSky, even though I wasn't part of this group. I believe my group was certainly thinking along these lines. I did feel like the CPW was going to listen to the groups.

Color me surprised that they are really considering 90/10, if they are not just giving lip service. CPW surplus must be bigger than I thought. And, something I hadn’t considered before, if they do make all limited, that’s an extra $100 from each NR hunter that is now only hunting OTC since they will now have to apply

But consider this: if they make limited licenses 90/10 and keep OTC for elk, can you imagine how crowded those seasons will get? It would have to be coupled with caps on NRs to work to your advantage.

I think they could curtail a lot of OTC pressure without going limited by making people choose OTC in the first draw, even if just as the final option instead of a refund. Similar to MT unlimited sheep. And then don't give refunds for returned OTC licenses. You could allow them to be returned with no refund if people wanted to try for reissues, or allow them to be exchanged for a leftover/reissue.

" Not to consider the money aspect " you must have teenage girls running the game dept that sounds like something they'd say.

So now you know the price of NR tags and licenses will double that's how it always goes. all the states are upping the prices , cutting the quotas and the quality isn't nearly what it used to be. Canada and Alaska will be getting my money once my points are burnt this is becoming a sucker's game.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom