Recoil of a lite 300 WSM?

ClarkW

I got a chance to pick up a Tikka Lite in 300 WSM at adecent price. I am considering it for a small frame, light weight shooter. I have never shot the caliber before. How will the recoil be?

A 300WSM with hot 180 gr loads will buck a guy pretty good depending what you are used to. For a small framed shooter, i'd stay with 150 gr bullets, at least to start off on. Ought to kick similar to an 30-06.

Joey

I have one and shoot handloaded 180 accubonds and it booted me pretty good, I am 6'2" and weigh 160. I put a Vais brake on it and it now it kicks less than my .243 browning BLR, I really enjoy this gun now. I would highly recommend this addition.

}}-SLIVER-->

I have a savage model 16 in 300wsm. I am about 6-3 and 220. My load is 150 gr. but it is going over 3250 fps. I kicks you plenty. It is light.
Now some of that is probably due to stock design. And if you loaded it down to say 2950 like a decent 30-06 handload, I agree it won't kick as much.
But, then if you wanted that, just take the 30-06.

I would like to know what others think.

a friend of mine bought the tikka light in the 300 wsm and i have a Winchester model 70 300 wsm my buddies kicks like a mule he changed the recoil pad and it's better but still kicks harder than mine. Stock design goes a long ways. my friend is 6'4" and 330 so no i would not recommend this gun for a light weight

I SHOOT A .300 WSM IN THE LIGHT WT. TIKKA...180 GR. TSX. IT DOES KICK A TAD BIT.....NOT THE BEST STARTER GUN FOR A SMALLER/YOUNGER HUNTER. IT CAN BE DONE.....DEPENDING ON THE SHOOTERS SKILLS/ & SHOOTING SAVY........YD.

I agree with sage, its all relative to what you are used to. At one time I thought my Rem XCR 300 wsm was a kicking mule until I got my 300RUM. I'm 5'6" 160lbs and shoot 200gn hot loads from the ultramag all day. If you want mellow recoil from any rifle, grab one thats bigger and shoot it for a few days, then go back. You might be surprised. Btw, my wife loves shooting the 300wsm! good luck

Both my Wife and I shoot and hunt with Browning A-bolt Composite Stalkers. We shoot 168 Gr. TTSX bullets going roughtly 3200. Before I had a brake put on mine it would buck pretty good. My wifes rifle has the boss system and she has always loved shooting it. Now since we both have brakes on them neither one kicks more than my Rem. 700 .243.

Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-10 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]My custom 300 win mag weighs 6.5 lbs field ready and with 180 gr bullets at 3200 it kicks, but my wife has hunted with it several times and she's only 5'4 and 125 lbs and has never noticed the recoil.

If a small person is going to shoot a lot I wouldn't reccomend it, if you're going to sight it in and the smaller person is only going to hunt with it go for it and let them practice with a 243. a heavy rifle is going to ruin more hunts than a little recoil as long as you're smart about it.

Don't tell my wife I posted her weight.

I have a Win M70 Sporter in a 300 WSM. The recoil in it is a little more then my Win M70 Featherweight 270. This is not a rifle intented for young small frams.

400bull

I had one, it kicked like a mule. Even with a Simms Vibration recoil pad after 10 shots my shoulder was black and blue. Traded it for a Remington 700 XCR. Factory recoil pad no bruising after 20 rounds. Both 300 WSM. The remington only weighs 1.3 or 1.4 lb more than the Tikka but recoil is significantly different.

I have a tikka lite 300 wsm
I'm 5' 11" and about 160, I've shot loads with bullets from 150 to 180 grns. I don't think its that bad for recoil. My 16 year old son is smaller than me he has shot it and he killed his second buck with it.

Why do people always think the smaller you are the more recoil will hurt, when just the opposite is true. A smaller body rolls/pushes with the recoil much more than a heavy guy. The heavy guy has a tendency to move less and therefore soaks up the recoil into his body. It may look more dramatic when a small guy shoots a big gun but the felt recoil is actually less.

Deadibob said, "Why do people always think the smaller you are the more recoil will hurt, when just the opposite is true(?)"

That's some good stuff there Deadibob! I'm recoil sensitive, no doubt about it, and have been since i was a young guy hunting and shooting with my Uncles super hard kicking, butt padless, Savage LH 110 30-06. It wasn't the kick so much as the surprise or anticipation of that SOBing gun going off. I've been able to deal with the problem thru the years by knowing my limitations and just accepting the fact that i'm gonna get rocked but i much prefer guns that don't have the recoil of a hard kicking '06 on up.

Always was a bigger type guy. Even in top physical condition i went about 275 lbs. My 280AI and 270WSM are both in medium to kinda heavy rifles and, IMO, not too bad recoil wise, certainly less than the two 300WSM's i've shot, but about all i care to shoot on a weekly or even daily basis as i did for many years with my old 25-06. Thanks for the reasoning, it rings true!!

Joey

Clark I think you got some great advice. I've always been a proponet on any shooter will normally do better with a gun that comfortable for them to shoot a less is more type thing. They usually shoot better and when the big moment comes will put it right in the boiler room. Shooting a gun that has too much recoil can actually cause a person to pull their shots as they tense up to try to fight it. I think 440 gave you some good advice as to how to work around it and I know he tries to make sure he does everything right on his guns in terms of a recoil pad, stock design to make any gun more comfortable to shoot. Of course based on all the information he furnished his life expectancy will be reduced somewhat. :^) Those things can make a big difference as well as Sages & others suggestions for you to consider. Pick a caliber that's going to work for the majority of hunting that you do and when that special circumstance comes up where you need something a little bigger the premium bullet selection today may fill the bill.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom