Red Desert units

Adobe town is in unit 57.

the main red desert unit is 60. The area two the east is also technically in the red desert but thats about it.

I've had that tag 2 times, great hunt!

The more I think about it I don't think Adobe Town was the area I had in mind ( I have been reading a lot about that area in the news and the name stuck ). It is the western side of the Red Desert ( not the actual hunting Unit ) and is "mud" hills/spires. Maybe it is called the Honeycombs???? You can drive into the area if you have a Hi Lift jack for some of the washes. If it rains you are a resident of the area till it dries up. Anyone got a clue as to where I'm thinking of???

It's called Adobe Town. You have been reading about it in the news because they want to drill the living chit out of it. And it's one of the places that people think should be protected. The group who is spearheading the protection is called the red desert coalition. I think they have a website.

If you have not been in 57 lately there are already drilling the xxxx out of it. I was there in September and every 1/4 mile is a natural gas well in every direction. You can't see it from the interstate but as soon as you get out in the desert it is crazy. You see literally thousands of people in trucks, drilling rigs and water trucks. You would not believe it unless you saw it with your own eyes. The antelope didn't seem to mind it, they were everywhere and I shot mine near a gas well. It reminds of me of some of the pictures I saw as a kid of Alaska, not the terrain but all of the drilling and trucks.

Rich

I check the Casper paper out online every few days. I sort of got behind though with Christmas etc. I knew "Thumper" was out that way but I had no idea they were testing or setting wells out there that much. I had talked with an outfitter about a job summer before last and he said he lost a lot of guides due to the drilling being stepped up. I know over around Wright there seemed like 10 times more coal going down the rails to. Quite a boom going on out there. Lets hope things don't turn out like the 80's when it went bottom up for all the workers there.

Maybe someone can explain this to me. When I was in 57 last year the north end is checkerboarded with private public. However some of the BLM roads say "no public access" and right next to it was a outfitters name and number. These were major BLM roads running through the north of the unit. The workers had access to the roads, the only ones that didn't were the hunters who were not outfitted. These were not roads that appeared to be private, they had the large BLM signs that are usually located around intersections. I was hunting south of that but it was the first place I had ever been that had BLM roads closed to the general public and posted by an outfitter.

Rich

Sounds fishy to me. Sometimes outfitters out here seem to think that because they have an outfitting permit for public land that it means they have exclusive hunting rights to it. That is absolutely not the case, and is absolutely against the law. You should have reported it. What was the outfitters name?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-08 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]:) back in the 80's I had two old guys from OR tell me I couldn't hunt in a section of the TBNG that I went out to scout. They told me they had bought hunting rights from X , a local ranch, and if I didn't have a permit from X I had better leave. I left, went to town and got a long talk with the Forest Service folks and learned a lot during that talk. Later I stopped by to talk to the old guys and they told me the USFS guy had stopped and explained that they were trying to run me off Fed. land that rancher X " used to have grazing rights on but were now in the process of not being renewed due to what happened ". Without good maps it is pretty hard to tell public access roads but today the maps in the area there are marked extremely well as to public land as are most of the BLM maps I have for other sections of the state. Nothing like a trip to the local government office to keep things straight! BTW while talking with the guys from OR, which were nice guys undeserving of being taken like they had been, the USFS truck went by with a load of No Trespassing signs taken off state and federal lands. I guess 20 some years later that crap still happens!! BTW, lostinoregon, I didn't notice your handle till I was reading back through. No intent there it is just what happened.

I don't remember the outfitters name but they were all over the county road from Wamsutter south to where it comes out at Dad on the highway to Baggs. They were only in the northern section where the private was checkboarded. There was a hunter from Colorado that said he thought it was baloney also and he told me that he called the warden and he told him that it was legit. I was a little miffed but wasn't hunting there so it didn't matter to me.

Don't worry about the Oregon thing, we have rotten eggs like everyone else.

Rich

I've seen that a few places as well and it seemed like the road was put in for oil/gas development and it is not a public road. You should definitely look into it though, if it is in fact a public road, you would be ok.

lostinoregon,
I know EXACTLY what signs you are talking about. The land to the east of those signs are indeed private land. There was a phone number on the sign where you can call the landowner and he will grant you permission to hunt there. He just doesn't want the arrowhead, metal detector people out on his land.

The way those signs were working, is that some of those private section are owned by the oil and gas company and they leased the hunting rights out to the outfitter. Thats why the gas trucks still had access to these roads but the outfitter could stop hunters from going in there. Also due to BLM's agreement with surface rights and the access to those areas for the mineral rights, they can go just about anywhere. It is just like everywhere else, any peice of private land is being leased out anymore to outfitters and it is just starting to hit the desert area. But the unit has so much public area in it that if you were checking the map you would have no problem finding a real decent buck with easy access. If anyone draws that tag just shoot me an e-mail and i will be able to find you a buck. I'm out there just about every day.

PY

nontypical, Thank you. That was the area I had in my mind as Adobe Town. My CRS is really kicking in :-(

PY
I might take you up on that offer as soon as I draw that tag.In the meantime I'm crossing my fingers to draw for elk so I don't get "Stockdrive withdrawals" this year.
BTW I never did see your Bronco last fall.
Herb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom