rem model 700

cacklercrazy

A buddy told me that there is a big problem with the saftys on the 700. He told that several people have had their guns go off when on safty or when unloading their guns. I was wondering if any of you have heard about this.

Yes it's been in the news for years, Remington has paid out millions in lawsuits.

Myself I've never had or seen a problem. if you keep your trigger clean and adjusted proper I don't see why you should have a problem, and all of the people who have been shot because of it weren't using proper gun handling procedures in the first place.

If your gun is the newer style where the bolt can be opened with the safety on then unload it that way, if it's an old one just be careful. just one more reason the model 70 is the rifleman's rifle.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-10 AT 03:52PM (MST)[p]I have never heard of any problems other than when people "adjusted" their triggers. Sure, you can make it unsafe if you don't know what you are doing, but when its done correctly, they are as safe as anything else. Amazingly, the problem was not able to be duplicated on any of the alleged guns that malfunctioned.

See Remington's response to the news bashing. http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

I really like the donut eater at time 4:42 in the video. That is classic "not enough sear engagement" from a DIY trigger job.

Do you really think a company would keep the same basic design around for 60+ years if there was a safety flaw?

According to the guy who developed that trigger YES. He offered them a nickel fix once they knew about the problem. It took them 30 years to implement it. Probably because they couldn't afford the recal dollars.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Just had a custom 300 ultra made on a remington 700 action. Not every time, but enough to feel unsafe, the firing pin will engage when the safety is taken off. Have had some nasty scabs on my thumb due to the recoil. Was on a mule deer hunt the first time it occurred. Limited entry in a good unit. Finally found the buck I was after 8 days into the hunt. Ranged him, got a steady rest, and when I took the safety off BAM! the rifle fired. Needless to say, I did not get the buck. Was very disappointed and spoke to the gunsmith who built the rifle. It is with him now, and he has heard of the problem before....All on rem 700's. Hope it is a problem that can be fixed.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]Acafton- Wondering if you had the gunsmith work the trigger over? He probably has it somewhat out of adjustment I would assume. This is mainly the problem with the 700 trigger. If the adjustments are to light or out of sync. Also a dirty trigger can cause this. If you are going to keep the stock trigger tell your smith to epoxy the "floating" connector to the sear to help this problem. IMO thats a lot of work for a stock trigger. If this is a custom rifle why not spend the $100 and get a timney? They are well worth the money and even have a wider trigger shoe which I have come to love. Just my 2 cents!

This is a topic that seems to come up about every year and maybe rightly so. I though have several 700's and know a bunch of guys that have theirs. None of us guys have ever came across the trigger/safety problem as described above though most of us do our own trigger work. I'm talking quite a few guns and a bunch of dudes here and before coming to these pages, the concern or danger, was a unknown to me personally.

That said, the info out there can't hurt anybody. It's the lack of info or knowledge that can get a person in trouble. Does this info make the 700 less of a rifle? I don't believe so!

Joey

>This is a topic that seems
>to come up about every
>year and maybe rightly so.
>I though have several 700's
>and know a bunch of
>guys that have theirs. None
>of us guys have ever
>came across the trigger/safety problem
>as described above though most
>of us do our own
>trigger work. I'm talking quite
>a few guns and a
>bunch of dudes here and
>before coming to these pages,
>the concern or danger, was
>a unknown to me personally.
>
>
>That said, the info out there
>can't hurt anybody. It's the
>lack of info or knowledge
>that can get a person
>in trouble. Does this info
>make the 700 less of
>a rifle? I don't believe
>so!
>
>Joey

adjust one of your 700 triggers way down, my whelen will do it at 1 LB..Every 700 trigger will do this if adjusted improperly..Try it, sometimes you need to pull the trigger with the safety on, then take it off and the pin will fall.Sometimes you dont even need to touch the trigger, the safety alone will set it off.

>adjust one of your 700 triggers
>way down, my whelen will
>do it at 1 LB..Every
>700 trigger will do this
>if adjusted improperly..Try it, sometimes
>you need to pull the
>trigger with the safety on,
>then take it off and
>the pin will fall.Sometimes you
>dont even need to touch
>the trigger, the safety alone
>will set it off.

While you are correct that this will show the issue, it is not a properly adjusted trigger. I can make a Mauser or Winchester trigger unsafe also. That does not mean there is a design flaw, only an operator error.

When done properly, the triggers are perfectly safe.

just pointing out to those that may be confused, that if they dink around with the trigger not knowing what they are doing bad things can happen..thats all.

I appreciate the advise fellas. No work was done on the trigger. I am far from a gunsmith myself....just want an accurate gun. Just relating my experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom