Remember pony motors?

I have an old d6 9u with a pony motor on my property. It belongs to a friend of mine but it sits at my place and I fire it up and run whenever I want. That little pony motor is a loud sob.

I ran D6 with a pony motor for half a summer, then got promoted to the D7 for road work and deep chiseling.

I miss those days.

Hell, we had an old D9 where I worked and when you started it up neighbors a mile away thought there was a fire. These kids rolling coal have nothing on the old D9.

In cold weather it took forever just to get the pony started...what a pain ! That was back when men were men and everybody else drank Schlitz ( Bud Light predecessor} ! The steering brake/clutch was another real piece of work. The old cable control units were pretty primitive too.

Last edited:
I dug through some of my old photos trying to find one of a Cat and this is the only one I have. It has a C-frame instead of a blade. Towing an arch to better handle the big logs. About 1970.

1 log arch load.jpg

Got it. I grew up driving (and blowing soot from) a diesel station wagon in MN. Learned the difference between #1 and #2 pretty quick. Only ponies we had were kegs, though (city boy).

We had an old John Deere 720 diesel ag tractor back in the day that started with a pony motor. It was an art to get that hunk of iron started. That tractor was noisy as hell and had a clank in the drivetrain that would make you deaf. I can remember more than once, one of us kids firing it up with the pony motor and forgetting to shut the pony off when the real, 2 lunger took off. Usually, the pony would run out of gas before anyone got caught. But I remember one time seeing my pissed off dad walking at a brisk pace across the field waving his arms to get my attention. He finally got me to stop and just walked up, flipped the switch off on the pony giving me a dirty look, turning and walking away before he lost his cool.
1688750952170.png

Ours was a tricycle front end

We had an old John Deere 720 diesel ag tractor back in the day that started with a pony motor. It was an art to get that hunk of iron started. That tractor was noisy as hell and had a clank in the drivetrain that would make you deaf. I can remember more than once, one of us kids firing it up with the pony motor and forgetting to shut the pony off when the real, 2 lunger took off. Usually, the pony would run out of gas before anyone got caught. But I remember one time seeing my pissed off dad walking at a brisk pace across the field waving his arms to get my attention. He finally got me to stop and just walked up, flipped the switch off on the pony giving me a dirty look, turning and walking away before he lost his cool.
View attachment 114752
I can't remember, was that a 'poppin' Johnny?

View attachment 114752
I have a model 70 diesel (model before 720)with a v4 pony motor....way easier to pull start.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom