Research Time #2!!!!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
With the ORYX hunt soon approaching, I'm starting to do some research on what to apply for. Some questions I would like to get answered are: Which unit to apply for and which season start date. I know that the summer hunts will be guite hot and the chance of the meat spoiling is high if not taken care of properly. Does this have the best draw odds? Which season start date will have the best horn growth? (I know they reproduce when they want to!) I've been apply for these since 2000 and can't seem to get drawn. I know they have late hunts, what are they like? Any info to assist me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kerry

The odds are right on the NMGF website. I would apply for any hunt that is best for your schedule.
The Horn growth is the same whenever you go since they do not drop their horns.
I have never had any meat spoilage, but, If your concerned about it apply for a hunt in cooler months.
As far as the units go, I would go on one that you have some familiarity with, and if your not familiar with any of them, Rhodes and Stallion are possibly a little better.
I think they are all good, but, as some previous posts mention, they are not canned hunts any more and will require serious glassing.

Kerry..

I think I like to hunt in Dec/Jan and March because it is still cold and the oryx move alot...I recently went on August hunt and it is very hot before 9 am! whew...and we didn't got meat spoiled and I think both as NMPAUL said RC and Stallion range are the best choice..NEED ALOT OF GLASSIN!!

Vinihunt

Thanks Vini and Paul for the info! I have the glass for the job if I can find a vantage point. Good points by both, thanks allot. Kerry

Game and Fish seem to have a different set of rules for the "introduced species" than they do for deer and elk. The 78% res 12% guided non res and 10% non guided non res is out the window with the oryx draw. On the Feb and Mar RC and Stallion hunts almost half the tags go to non residents. On the Mar 09 Rhodes Canyon hunt 52 of 90 went to non residents and on the Mar 09 Stallion hunt 42 of 90 went to non residents. Not sure why or how G&F math works but those are the numbers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom