Researching for 2009

R

RedFox

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-08 AT 08:36PM (MST)[p]Hi everyone, I'm looking into applying for New Mexico next year and need some advise on good units to apply for. I would be looking at deer, elk, pronghorn, and maybe ibex or oryx, heck maybe even javalena. I'd be looking at either muzzleloader or rifle, or maybe an archery, but I will be new at the archery bit, as I have yet to buy a bow (hoping to get one for next year). Late season deer would be fun, but anything worth looking info would be great. PM if you'd prefer.
Thanks,
Jessica

Are you looking at top units only or just good odds of being drawn.

What type of country do you like hunting. High elevations, low?

Sure you can get a lot of good info on this forum. Need to know expectations.

yeah i heard the same thing NM aint taking any more out of state apps. o yeah and i also heard that AZ wont take any more out of staters

unit 33 is awesome for elk.

As for deer.... I would go with unit 19.

ibex......bow only hunt. It's the easiest way to get one.

as for oryx? apply for the small missile range.

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

I'm mostly looking for quality type hunts, due to the fact that it so far from home. As for the type of terrain, I am kinda new to the hunting thing so I would try to learn anything. Stinkystomper, I don't know if you are being serious or just giving me a bad time.
Thanks all,
Jessica

Its all in good fun, but in all reality can you answer the questions that NMPaul. We could use a little more info in what your interest are. I am sure there are folks here that will chime in with information.

Jessica, when you say quality, do you mean a real good chance to fill your tag or there is a certain trophy level you want?

Do you care if you draw? Are you willing to put into a low odds of drawing hunt and possibly draw no tags for several years?

There are units that if you apply there is a decent chance to draw and if you scout and hunt hard you should have success.

To improve your odds are you willing to apply through an outfitter to get better odds (this will get expensive). Pay to hunt private land?

big elk = valle vidal = no drawing hopes.
big deer = good luck (seriously)
oryx = white sands pretty much all the hunts give you a great chance
antelope = most of nm is known for big goats. Will just be luck of the ranch you draw, if you draw.

Just my two cents

SS

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. I'll get going on some more info now, but you have got me pointed in the right direction.
Thanks!!!
Jessica

careful Jessica- there was quite a bit of sarcasm in those early posts. (Is chivalry dead?) Since your NR application really doesn't compete with mine I'll tell you what I'd do in your shoes.

unit 2, or 17 for deer-
Valle Vidal, Seargent WMA, GMU15, 16, 34, for elk

other units are decent and easier to draw, but for a non-resident with quality in mind and these are your best bet and are primarily public land and easy to figure out if you were to draw.

I'd say stick to the NE for speedgoats. southeast second choice.

any OIL hunt would be sweet for Oryx or Ibex, and I'd stick to the south zone for Javalina for sure.

"(Is chivalry dead?)"

Heheh...this is the internet, how do we know "Jessica" is actually a woman and not stinky posing as an NR trying to sucker us all? ;-)

your off way off. If its a diy stay away from 17 for deer. That hunt could be a nightmare if she doesn't know where to start on day one.

As for elk I assure you she will hate 15, and 34 if she doesn't have tons of time to scout all summer long. I would apply for the valles caldera elk and vale vidal elk. If she wants a quality hunt send her to the true quality units. I can't speak for unit 2 deer since I've never drawn it but one never knows. I've heard good things about unit 2. I do have experience with 17 deer and you do need knowledge of the area to get a big one.

my two cents

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

Oh, one last thing. You can't trust anyone in NM. We're not exactly NR friendly. If you ever see anyone in here by the name of mozey steer queer..... uh I mean clear of him. That dudes a little off his game if ya know what I mean. Before you know it he will have you putting in for the unit 30 giraffe hunt. As for Ibex.....funny, seriously. If your not comfortable wearing undersized spandex to a high school reunion don't even think about an ibex. I'm really not joking here. Me and cookie did that hunt this year and ouch! just check out my post where everyone changed my name to spiderstinky. Those hills even made me beg for my mommy! Do your research and make sure if your spendin the money to come here that its for a danged good hunt. However, if you've got dough to spare I think you'd have a blast on one of ol mozey's fully guided spotted owl hunts!

Mozey: seriously.... disguise myself as a woman???? or anyonelse for that matter???? you think I'm some sort of joker or something. I'm 100% professional 100% of the time. I take myself very seriously on this website and hold myself to higher standards unlike the rest of you rif-raf! Hmmmmm!
SS

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

Hey man, I actually got within four feet of a spotted owl in unit 17 on a deer hunt. How'd you know about that? Now I'm getting a little paranoid... :)

It's all good! ;-)

stinky: "you think I'm some sort of joker or something. I'm 100% professional 100% of the time. I take myself very seriously on this website and hold myself to higher standards..."

stinky: "Just wait till I show you guys what a 600" 6x6 looks like. Actually I do believe he was at least a 400" spike."

stinky: "Take a varmint call and a couple of stricknine laced beef in there with you. I hear there are some really big coyotes you can hunt in there. There's also several packs of feral alaskan malamute dogs that got out of someones back yard and need to be taken out!"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom