Restraint

Smoey

So I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, but thought it was time that I should become an active poster. I moved to New Mexico 2 years ago with the intent of being closer to family and closer to elk hunting. I loved the deer hunting and crappie fishing in Missouri but IMHO nothing compares to archery elk hunting. Over the last 11 years I've only missed one archery elk season and that was because my wife had the brilliant idea to get married September 17th.... hopefully that was my last missed elk season:)

My problem( if you can call it that) is that I can't seem to keep from dropping the string on the first gimme shot I get on an average bull. Last year, my first as a resident I drew a high quality unit and as unbelievable luck would have it I drew the same first choice unit again this year ( 8% odds of that happening). I harvested a 280ish bull last year and as I was quartering and breaking down the bull I could hear 8-10 bulls bugling in the valley below me. This unit is known to produce much larger bulls but honestly I had no reservations about tagging this animal. Part of a complete elk hunt for me includes many variables that I can't exactly quantify but just know it when it happens . With whitetails I can hold out for specific animals but with elk I just don't have the restraint to pass up animals that trip my trigger in that exact moment.. I would love to kill a big bull but For me those 280-300ish bulls are still too hard to lay off. I've killed 7 elk with my bow and 3 with a rifle so it's not as if I'm still a complete greenhorn, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this dilemma of wanting to kill a good bull but also being content with just filling your tag? How many years or bulls did it take for you to only be happy with a certain sized bull?

Is there anyone here that never grew out of the harvesting phase of elk hunting because for me it's been a hard phase to mature out of and honestly I don't know that this year I won't tag the first screaming 5 point that comes trotting by :)

On a side note... I've read this forum for years and I'm sure there are probably more guys that lurk than actually post. To all those regular posters... thanks for the daily entertainment and good luck to everyone this year

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-19 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-19 AT 07:40?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-19 AT 07:39?PM (MST)

This will probably be an interesting thread and some chests will probably puff out, so I'll start.

To put this into perspective I have to paint a little picture.
I'm still a newish hunter and this fall will mark going into my 6th hunting season.
In that time I've shot everything ranging from does, cows, spikes, two goodish bulls (close to P&Y) and P&Y whitetail.
This past season was my 5th elk season and after killing a spike, a fat cow, and two 6 points, do you know what I shot.... another spike.
I shot it with my buddy and at that time it was the greatest feeling because I was able to share the experience with someone.
So at the end of season 5 I had 5 elk, 20 deer, and some random stuff under my belt (antelope, barb, oryx)
I shot what made me happy, I had wonderful experiences, and I wouldn't have traded them for a thing.

Fast forward to now. I spent lot of this off season reflecting on all of this and at this point in my hunting "career" I want to start adding a some standards to my hunts. I feel like I've gotten enough out of my system where I want to start being a little more picky on certain hunts.

For example I am hunting an elk unit I've hunted before and I know the general size bull in there. So this year instead of shooting the whatever I will have a size in mind. Otherwise in the last day or two I am leaving with a fat cow.
Then I am hunting another area for whitetail which same as above, I know the quality in the area so I'll be setting a standard for sure.

This will however be flexible at times. This year I have my first archery mule deer tag. I'm super excited to fill my first mule deer tag. I have a size in mind, but I have a better chance of not having restraint on this hunt compared to the others because it's new, exciting, and just going to be a ball!

What I'm saying in this long drawn out and boring post.... I would give it time and let it develop on it's on. Only you know what will satisfy you and when times change, it'll be because you want it to. Don't let other people drive your goals because it'll get into your head.

I have a lot of different hunting buddies. Not one is the same when it comes to restraint....
I don't push my views on them, they don't push theirs on me. Just go with it and when it's time, you will know!

I think you are already doing it right. If you are happy and ready to fill your tag do it.

There are lots of factors that decide whether I fill a tag or not.
Quality of unit and potential.
How much time I got left.
this is real. Personal and business obligations hanging over my head.
How much elk I got in the freezer already.
I have eaten many tags, and have had some regrets. That is hunting. If it always has guaranteed results, then I could be playing golf.

Do what you're doing until the thrill is gone.

Once it's gone (it's different for all of us), then help others feel the same thrill that you once felt.

If you are hunting in the same unit I am then by all means go ahead and shot a rag horn or cow. LOL
It's always a tough call,
A few years back I finally drew a damn good rifle tag for elk.
Seen over 200 elk the day before the hunt. Opening morning I passed on a 330ish bull that we watched for 15 min before deciding to pass. Next 3 days we didn't see a single bull. On the last day i shot a little 200 class 5x6 freezer bull. We busted our tails and covered a lot of area looking for the 350 plus. It just wasn't ment to happen. Now that I'm 46 years old and realize my wife has killed a 368 bull my hopes of topping that are slim to none. So 1st legal bull is going down for me from now on. Ha ha

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-19 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]I enjoy eating elk, I guess I'm still in the "harvesting" stage after ~30+ years. Over the years I've drawn some great tags and admit the pressure to try to kill a big one can sometime take a lot of the fun out of the hunt. I seem to have more fun on OTC Colorado tags where there is not pressure to kill a big elk, because there aren't any (slight exaggeration). Perfectly happy to kill a raghorn or funky 5 pt, or even a cow on those type hunts.

Now I have the dilemma again this year since I drew a Caldera muzzy tag, so I certainly plan to hold out for a good 6X6. Hopefully there will be no pressure.

On the other hand I have no trouble passing up deer, but elk are another matter.

We all have different standards so do whatever makes you happy.

I've been hunting elk for 12 years now, all archery. When I first started in Colorado (where OTC archery tags are still available) I passed up on elk in search for the "Big Bull". Every one of those hunts ended with an unfilled tag. I have yet to kill a 300+ class bull and believe me I want to. My last elk trip started with me glassing a definite lower 300s bull, but as luck would have it, on my stalk a smaller bull appeared and went down with my arrow. Because of my first few hunts in search of the big one left me empty-handed, I find it hard to pass on a legal bull now. Meat in the freezer is better than the big one that got away!

I've gone out with friends and family several times to help them with their elk (calling and hauling if you will) only to see them harvest a bull I only wish I shoot. In the end, you are the only one who can make that call to pass for bigger or to be eating tenderloins that night!

Restraint is all about how willing you are to eat tag soup. That's what trophy hunting is all about, you have to be happy with the experience and if you harvest nothing you have to be good with that.

Also hunting in meant to be fun so as long as your having fun don't over think it.

Like you its easy for me to pass up deer, I don't care for deer meat much so it makes the choice easy. Elk is different, I like the meat and I normally try to kill an elk. Last rifle elk tag I had I killed a small bull the 2nd day, and after wished I would have held out a bit. Now its been 7 yrs without drawing that tag and I really wished I would have held out for a bigger bull. Lucky for me the kid has kept him in elk meat with the youth cow tags.

I have passed up 4x4s, 5x5 or better for me. I'm not picky. I love the meat. Shot at a 7x7 in high wind at 600 yards once. Got 2 rounds off before they all busted. That, I will never forget. I should have stalked a little more, but he was jumping all the cows and stirring up the heard. Live and learn. Been hunting all my life , and you still seem to screw something up. Lol.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-19 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]Interesting topic for sure. You?ve obviously given it some thought and say you're content with filling your tag. To each his own. I shoot cows when I want to eat elk.

Took me three or four small (sub 300) bulls to get to the point where I will only pull the trigger on a 330ish or better bull. I've killed three in the 330 range and would really like a bigger one. Can?t kill a big on if you shoot the first nice 300 that walks by. But I agree that it is tough! Hunts for most of us with a reasonable chance at a big bull are slim so I feel like I have to make the most of any decent opportunity I get. You?re lucky to be living in NM!

It always amazes me when people pass up animals. With that being said I guess I am just not at the point in my hunting career. I have not harvest the amount of game some of you talk about and I guess I would feel different then. I have been super happy with any animal I have ever had the privilege of harvesting, weather it be a fork deer or a mature barbary. I think it is a personal choice and if you are happy with the animal then take it and if you feel you want bigger then hold out. Good luck and enjoy the hunt either way.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom