Results Posted

Dang I wasnt expecting to be hunting next month.... Welp hopefully I will have some pics for you all...

This is getting real old.
16 years in a row no OILT.
I couldn't draw an Oryx tag with a pen and pad.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they will!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 07:29AM (MST)[p]No luck for me

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I just checked again. Still "UN" for me. Ha!

Congrats to all the lucky Oryx draws!

No Luck here hopefully that means I am saving all my luck for the next go around here in a month or so.

Jordan

I got a big green ORX-5-513, I guess that means that I am going hunting, right?! That is the first McGregor Range hunt of the year, anyone have any inside info they would like to share? I hate to say it but this is the first year I have ever put in for oryx.

You are in for a real good time the way it works is there is supposed to be 25 military hunters on that hunt as well as 25 civilian hunters but last year there was only 2 military hunters out of the 50 available tags and both of them hunted the second hunt. I know that most of the top ten for North American Free Ranging Gemsbok as they are listed in SCI have come off of either there or the private land surrounding that range good luck and great tag.

Jordan

well treated me pretty good this year, got march 09 off range, pretty excited, got my once in a lifetime in 06 so i am pretty pumped to get drawn again have been seeing abunch off range so in a year i guess i will be chasing them

RE:

The NMDGF website says the hunts are posting as unsuccessful, but that is a mistake on some hunt codes. They have the draw complete, but are still charging cards. Just thought I would share what I know as I show UNSUCCESSFUL Again. Good luck for you lucky ones.

nmhunt4food trekking the desert

RE:

Hot-Diggity-Damn! This is good news for me! I still have a chance. It is kind of like putting in again! Ha! Hopefully later today I can announce my return to the great state of NM!

RE:

That's great!!! I thought it was strange that nobody was drawing any OIL permits. My son still has a chance!!! I'm sure they'll be hitting your card soon ktc!!!

RE:

Congrats to all that drew.
I live in Tularosa, NM and my house is 10 min. from the WSMR Tulie Gate which is the access point for the Rhoades Canyon hunts.

I worked on the range for ten years, and have good contacts on taxi and processing.

I also own the Tularosa Travel Center and I'm there most of the time. Stop in and say hi and if I can be any help let me know. (PM, whatever).

Jay

Well, I'm still holdin on. Just checked my draw report and my OIL app changed from "unsuccesful" to "need more information." Anybody else getting this? Hopefully it is because they will charge me and not just something the whole system is getting...Good old New Mexico!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 01:17?PM (MST)

Crap. How!? I was busy and the system just went down for "maintenance." I hope I didn't just blow my chance!

Update: So I did draw one of the OIL tags! I called and the system will be back up soon. Just have to log into your account and go to "review" to re-enter your cc info. Was told I will not lose my tag. Sweet.

"OIL" = Once in a lifetime. They are posted now and the site is back up but I still cannot log into to reenter cc info. How bout you Taxi?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 02:51?PM (MST)

Yellow box on your application? I am not finding it...
The yellow box where my hunt status is located is not providing me with a link either...

Never Mind. They must have just run my card because all my hunt info just popped up! Drew Oryx 1-122! My first choice... Congrats to all drew.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]Looks like I still have a red box.;-)

Oh well it was fun...twice! Have a nice day and please play again next year!:)

Congrats to those who drew out. Please post up your pictures and I will drool for another year!

BTW; this just opened up the door for some serious Colorado deer hunting! Now I can really support the LO's and voucher prices!}>

Thats wrong. I looked first thing this morning and it said no, them my buddy called at 3:30 and said we drew. Oh well, I am just happy that we drew.

Sounds like a pretty good problem to have? At least your whole day was not ruined!;-)

Exactly KTC. Now you can go smoke some big 'ol Colorado muley instead of fork over the $1,600 to shoot African game in a contaminated missile range. Sorry you didn't draw man, you sounded as rabid I was. Now I just have to wait until March of 2009 for my Stallion Range hunt. Congrats again to all who drew.

I was in the same boat as all of you. Thinking I didn't draw a tag. Then a buddy calls and told me to look again. Looks like we drew our 3rd choice. Rhodes Canyon Feb. 28th - Mar. 1,'09. How do you guys think this hunt will be? Since it is the last hunt of the season.

nmelktrout, I drew the same hunt as you. I guess I will see you at the orientation!

- Abraham Lincoln

UN for me.
ismith
45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

trout,

I was rabid twice today? I just checked again. My box is still red and no charges on the card. It's over.....Now for deer, antelope, and one of Cookie's elk.;-)

IdahoBugler,

Did you apply with Moose-Knuckles?

IB,

I agree, Moosie is a luck SOB! I guess you know where and who to apply with! Ha!

Cookie,

We did have a deal. No elk for me. It is your other critters I want!;-)

WICKED!!! I DREW!!! Stallion Range Jan hunt!! Can't even believe cause I thought I would have heard it from the wife as to "WHAT IS THIS 150$ CHARGE ON THE CARD?" But i checked and it shows on there(green box) Oryx-1-118!! 5 yrs trying not bad!! I wasn't even going to put in....lucky I did!!

Does anyone know if there is a charge for access? How many folks I could take? OF COURSE...almost forgot....Any info on the areas to concentrate on? Never know!!

YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! My six yr old will get to experience a hunt of a lifetime............SWEET!!

Lionking

Drew Stallion August hunt. I'm prepared to be schooled by those critters with my bow.

Lionking, now that is funny being worried about defending a $150 charge. Try $1,610. Heck I took her to a brewpub and eased in to the 'good' news slowly.

K,

A bow? In 2 days! Yikes, you takin' some iron for back-up?

My hat is off to your efforts!

lionking - Yes there is an access charge - $150 I believe will need to be a money order.

You can take 3 people with you - no beer and no cameras - you can leave a camera outside the gate with one of the taxidermist. Then take your pictures outside the gate.

As far as the stallion with you bow. I am not sure it is allowed - only on Rhodes I believe - not 100% sure though. Stallion would be almost impossible anyways. - Really could not so a spot and stalk - really no cover to conceal an orange blob for those eyes. and no they are not color blind. One of the few that can see color.

Hard to get within 400 yards much less 50 or less at least on the range in orange with no cover.

Offrange hunt I drew I am going to try with my bow - got many many more days to hunt and can go in camo and could actually sit in a ground blind over water.

I just checked again. I still have a bloody red box! Ha!

I still keep hoping they screwed up again? Damn!

Congrats to those that drew!!

On thing about it, next year I will still be able to enjoy the "thrill" of the draw. yea right..

You Rhoades Canyon guys be sure and look me up.
Free ice and bottled water to MM memebers who are hunting
OIL Oryx.

Okay this is really dumb...but... where exactly is the Stallion Range?

Wow no beer on this hunt? Who wants to buy a tag?JK

lionking

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

The Stallion Range is simply the name of one of the hunting areas within the White Sands Missile Range. The others are Rhodes Canyon and the Small Missile Range.

The beer just can't be brought into the Missile Range.

- Abraham Lincoln

Thank you for the clarification. I just told my son this morning that we are going to be hunting Oryx. He was already going to his room to get his stuff.....It was a little difficult to explain to him that it is next year we would be hunting.
To say the least, he was was stoked!!
Would my son be counted as one person?

Lionkking

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

White Sands Missle Range runs approximatly 100 North and South.
The Small Missle Range Gate is the farthest South and is closest to Las Cruces. Rhoades Canyon is the "middle" of the Range and entry is gained through the Tulie Gate on the East side. Stallon Range is the North end and access to the Gate is off of NM Hwy 380. There are 3 places that I know of that hunters on the Stallon Range can gain access but I don't know which one the NMDG&F and the MP's use for the hunt.

Guys,

Do you know if there is an access fee on the Rhodes hunt? If there is do they send you a form or something to fill out?

IB

Yep, $150 bucks per hunter. Apparantly they will be sending forms and payment instructions.

- Abraham Lincoln

Yes, they'll send you a packet explaining in details the rules on the range, directions to the gate, the anatomy of an oryx, and how and when to send your $150 trespass fee.

You can expect to be contacted out of the blue by taxidermists too.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-08 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]WTF ? I drew AGAIN ? I'm going to stop putting in for things..... first Utah gives me an AWESOME tag with 1 point. Then I draw a Wyoming Elk tag with nothing, NM deer a couple years ago, ORXY this year. Every dam tag I apply for I get. I'm done with this, really ticks me off. I'm sure most here can share my pain ?!?!?!

IDbugler, You didn't put us in for anything else .. right ? My plate is full with Africa in June already :D :D

-Moosie

People, they thin' I don't know a Buttload of Crap About the Gosple, but I do. (Nacho Libre)

The term "di$k face comes to mind.

>The term "di$k face comes to
>mind.
>
>
>Take a kid hunting. You will
>enjoy it more than they
>will!

BU-ahahahaha !!!! Speaking of Taking a kid hunting, My Oldest jsut passed his Hunters Ed. So now there will be 2 of us putting in out of state every now and then ;)

img_9315.jpg

3 more boys under that. You can take 4 tags out of the Tag pool in the next couple years ... ;)

KTC, I'm up for putting in. You have to Arm Wresle IdBugler though for my Luck. Since the first time I put in with him and He drew, He;'s been a Bit Selfish. He has brought me pleanty of luck too though.

Bryce1.JPG

-Moosie

People, they thin' I don't know a Buttload of Crap About the Gosple, but I do. (Nacho Libre)

Ok D face that was probably a little much. Frustrated.
Enjoy hunting with your son its great.
My two older kids killed thier first deer last year. An experience none of us will ever forget.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-08 AT 01:07AM (MST)[p]Pretty nice jack-off muscle MooseMan.;-)

Whoops! That is Bugler. I can take him. My right arm is Really big.;-)

...buddy drew off-range oryx, but a big "UN" for me.

Just wrapped up seven weekends of barb hunting and now get to look forward to turkey starting in less than a month. I love living and hunting in NM... :)

mozey,

Hey buddy! When are we going Barbary hunting? I must have missed the invitation?;-)

Well? Did ya get one? I like hunting in NM also!

heheh ktc...now why would want to bring up a sore issue?

Yes, I did get a barb on the last afternoon of the last day, but talk about your ground shrinkage...

Glassed him tucked in some rocks bedded about two-thirds up a 100' cliff, the fourteenth one I'd seen that day. Belly crawled to where I ranged him at 305 yards. Pulled the bi-pod out of my pack and attached it to my 7 mag. Facing almost directly towards me, I thought his horns looked pretty decent compared to his body. Put a rock under the butt of my gun so that it was a completely dead rest. Rested the cross hairs just below and to the right of the base of his neck. Squeezed the trigger and sent a 175-grained Bear Claw to make his acquaintance. Bullet struck within an inch or so of where I held the crosshairs. Sheep pitched forward a couple of steps and then took a head-over-heels tumble down the cliff. Exhilaration!! Hoofed it over and scaled accross the cliff to find him hung-up in a juniper about twenty feet from the bottom. What the crap? Horns were not impressive--just looked big from a distance because of a small body.

So, having proved myself to be such a poor judge of horns, are you sure you're willing to accept the invite? ;-)

P.S., despite all my whining, he's been excellent table fare...

mozey,

Congrats on the sheep! You know, size is not everything! As long as you learned something new it was a good trip.

What the hell, I would go. You know more about them than I ever will!

Season runs from Feb 1 to Mar 15 next year. Pick a week and lets go. Are you going to be a NM resident by then? ;-)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom