Reviews of Eastman's On-line Mule Deer Course

Brad G

I've got a CO Unit 74 archery deer tag in my pocket. This will be my 4th mule deer hunt, but I still consider myself as a rookie. I've read David Long, Mike Eastman and Dwight Schuh's book on hunting mule deer many times over the last 2 years. I was fortunate enough the kill my first deer 2 year ago in CO Unit 66 with a MZ, thanks to a hot tip that I received. I had a great archery hunt in NV last fall and missed a shot on a young deer. As I am trying to finalize plans for my hunt this year, I still struggle to break down a large unit remotely and locate some good areas to concentrate on during my on-line (primarily using OnX and Google Earth) scouting in order to make the most of a few days of on the ground scouting prior to the hunt. I was curious if any of you more experienced hunters have watched the Eastman's On-line MD Course and if you thought it would be helpful to someone like me.

Thanks for the feedback. Just trying to shorten the learning curve. At 53 years Im not sure how many high country trips the legs have left in them. I’m working hard everyday to stay in the game as long as possible. Also, my wife is getting less and less comfortable with these solo trips 1000+ miles from home as I get older.

Last edited:
I will be cancelling my Eastman's magazine subscription when it run's out. I have been a subscriber since day one, but all you get now is a lot of advertisements, and not much content. I still have some of the old magazines, and there is no comparison!!
So true. I got hooked on their magazine as a kid back in the early 90's and their stuff was great.
In the last 10-15 years I've cancelled and resubscribed a few times, and every time I resubscribe I think to myself "Why did I fall for this crap again...?"

Glad you are chasing mule deer. As has been stated, lots of info out there, but there's no substitute for boots on the ground experience. Looks like you are going a few days early. Use that time wisely. Up early and on a glassing point before daylight. Same in the evening. Look way early and way late. And look farther than you think you should.

Anything you can read or watch will help. Even YouTube videos are worthwhile. Sometimes you learn what NOT to do but sometimes you get something of value.

I don't know that area well, but you'll likely be up very high. Get on the highest knob you can and stay up near it and look, look, look. For archery, look in the shadows. Get the best tripod and spotting scope combo you can. It's worth it.

Best of luck. Hope you get a big, old buck.

I just got my latest Eastman's magazine, and there were two magazine type advertisement's almost as big as the magazine, and i'm sure when i open the magazine a third of it will be more advertisement's and other worthless information. I'm done with Eastman's for ever!!

Glad you are chasing mule deer. As has been stated, lots of info out there, but there's no substitute for boots on the ground experience. Looks like you are going a few days early. Use that time wisely. Up early and on a glassing point before daylight. Same in the evening. Look way early and way late. And look farther than you think you should.

Anything you can read or watch will help. Even YouTube videos are worthwhile. Sometimes you learn what NOT to do but sometimes you get something of value.

I don't know that area well, but you'll likely be up very high. Get on the highest knob you can and stay up near it and look, look, look. For archery, look in the shadows. Get the best tripod and spotting scope combo you can. It's worth it.

Best of luck. Hope you get a big, old buck.
I don't spend much time on youtube but I'll definitely look around some and see what's out there.

I will be cancelling my Eastman's magazine subscription when it run's out. I have been a subscriber since day one, but all you get now is a lot of advertisements, and not much content. I still have some of the old magazines, and there is no comparison!!
I 2nd the cancelation been a member from day 1 also, their MRS used to have some good content but lately it is GARBAGE !! More advertising less stories Major push on their TAG HUB crap & the Mule Deer course . There is Nothing in their Tag Hub program that justifies $150 Unless you are to lazy to do you own research All of the data they use is right off the States fish & game websites !! Pretty simple to look at # of tags available % of people applying over the last few years Idaho ETC ETC

I was an early subscriber and actually had over 10 articles published in Eastman's. Back in the day, it was the go to place for info and good content.

That has changed dramatically, and the magazine is now practically unreadable. I've had several conversation in the last few years with Guy and the staff, and they clearly tell me they don't care or value my input. I quit almost a year ago and don't miss it a bit.

I do think there are some basic hunting techniques you could learn from the Eastmans, but you will get as much or even better information watching their TV shows and those of other, far more accomplished hunters such as Nate Simmons or even Randy Newberg. Heck, you can learn plenty from Steve Rinella about basic hunting techniques.

I have not seen the online course from the Eastmans, but have a hard time imagining it is anything new or profound.

Bill

I don’t know anything about the Course - but I’ve gleaned some good feedback on this thread about it. And doubt I’ll do the course now (not that I really thought about it).

With that said - good luck on your archery hunt there. I’ve done a bunch of research on that area in hopes of grabbing that tag sometime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom