Rich man’s game

Muleman1

Very Active Member
It’s to bad that hunting is slowly becoming a rich man’s game. When I see an elk hunt for 30k or a mule deer hunt for 15k it makes me sick. Is this the future of hunting as we know it with declining #s, less and less drawing and out of state opportunities ?

It’s to bad that hunting is slowly becoming a rich man’s game. When I see an elk hunt for 30k or a mule deer hunt for 15k it makes me sick. Is this the future of hunting as we know it with declining #s, less and less drawing and out of state opportunities ?
This is no different than anything else in society....supply and demand. There is a reason a Ferrari is $300k+ and not $50k. Everything in life is a rich man's game if you really think about it. Though it is unfortunate that people are slowly being priced or cutout of hunting opportunities, there is nothing that will change the direction it is going unless people lose interest.

Did You see what The ALCATRAZ Tag Went For?

(((It was A Damn Bargain This Year!:D)))

I'm Not Trying To Make You Really Sick!:D

Hossy Should Be CHIMING In Soon with An $FW Comment!

Yes.

Now you'll hear the "supply and demand" bullshit.

What they always forget is WE own the animals.

So WE "give" our animals to rich dudes to subsidize outfitter or private interest groups.

Somehow Walmart, or Big D construction is able to buy there own products to sell.

In hunting, it's subsidized for commercial interests. Then priced at huge profit.

there is a really simple solution to maintain your own self contentment. stop looking at it. go hunt what you can, when you can. the social media environment we live in now only breeds envy and discontent.

will you ever shoot a 200" deer. probably not. is that ok and not going to ruin hunting for you forever? if not, i'd suggest just quit now. you'll be happier in the long run.

will i ever go stone sheep hunting? eh, actually if i wanted to and thought of nobody but myself i could probably swing that one day. but i have 4 daughters, 3 grandchildren and a wife i like to be able to do nice things for with my money. so you know what, i get a ton of enjoyment and content out of calling coyotes. then i buy my little OTC idaho tags and fill a few each year.

it's about perspective. you can actually choose what bothers you or not. someone wants to spend 500K on a deer tag. God bless um

Last edited:
There was a thread on a forum about a guy taking out a hundred-thousand-dollar loan to go on a couple hunts a while back. The amount of people in agreement that it was a good idea was baffling to a guy like me.

People have lost their damn minds. lol

There was a thread on a forum about a guy taking out a hundred-thousand-dollar loan to go on a couple hunts a while back. The amount of people in agreement that it was a good idea was baffling to a guy like me.

People have lost their damn minds. lol
probably only a 20% interest rate too. i say go for it. stupid has its own rewards

I don't agree with the price of guided hunts, but I do believe in paying to not waste my time applying for 20 years for a chance. I would rather pay 10k every few years to go on an awesome hunt where I didn't have to worry about every douche with legs sitting on every ridge blowing the entire unit out. I can ALWAYS make more money, but sure as heck can't get a second more of time, and I ain't getting any younger either.

Well said Jpickett , same feelings. It’s happened.

They plan to take guns and not sell ammo here? And they’ll put more wolves all over to take our place , let all the h0mos pay for wildlife viewing , 50 dollar parking fees, 100 dollar park passes and taxes.

My instate diy elk hunt costs a couple k hosting a couple buddies for the past few decades , their boys and my boy growing up / coming through camp & after I pay processing, tags, gas and we eat and drink good these days bound to go up more this year.

Just keep hunting man.

there is a really simple solution to maintain your own self contentment. stop looking at it. go hunt what you can, when you can. the social media environment we live in now only breeds envy and discontent.

will you ever shoot a 200" deer. probably not. is that not ok and not going to ruin hunting for you forever? if not, i'd suggest just quit now. you'll be happier in the long run.

will i ever go stone sheep hunting? eh, actually if i wanted to and thought of nobody but myself i could probably swing that one day. but i have 4 daughters, 3 grandchildren and a wife i like to be able to do nice things for with my money. so you know what, i get a ton of enjoyment and content out of calling coyotes. then i buy my little OTC idaho tags and fill a few each year.

it's about perspective. you can actually choose what bothers you or not. someone wants to spend 500K on a deer tag. God bless um
Coming from a Idaho resident who get tags every year I’m the Utah guy that gets a otc deer tag every 3 years

Guided hunts will likely continue to go up in price. It’s just the way it is. With that being said, there’s still plenty of low cost opportunities available. Enjoy those every year, keep an eye out for a good deal on bigger hunts and jump on a good opportunity when it becomes available. There’s some hunts that will always be out of reach for the average guy, but it doesn’t need to be all doom and gloom. Enjoy and make the most out of the opportunities that are available to you.

Coming from a Idaho resident who get tags every year I’m the Utah guy that gets a otc deer tag every 3 years
thats fair. but i still say you can choose what affects your joy.
- "i only get to hunt every 3 years??" or " i get to hunt every 3 years!!!"

what can you do about it? i guess make more money is a viable option and buy high price hunts.

i can tell you right now, especially with my girls being grown, i wouldn't trade an afternoon at the lake with my girls for a single hunt i see on instagram or MM for that matter. i actually wish i'd have hunted way less when they were little. but i was stupid and young. every 3 years would have been way better than the every fall i took. but now i suppose i'm getting sentimental.

what can you do about it? i guess make more money is a viable option and buy high price hunts.

i can tell you right now, especially with my girls being grown, i wouldn't trade an afternoon at the lake with my girls for a single hunt i see on instagram or MM for that matter. i actually wish i'd have hunted way less when they were little. but i was stupid and young. every 3 years would have been way better than the every fall i took. but now i suppose i'm getting sentimental.
Yeah I hunt with my kids so that’s a tradition I want to do every year not every 3

I guess that depends on your definition of "Best" is? Biggest animal, maybe. Best hunt is what you make of it. For me it's doing it on my own, with a good hunting partner to share it with.
I guess that depends on what your definition of “Partner” is?

This topic has been debated many times on this forum. Hunting is a "rich mans game" if you want it to be. If I choose to purchase a landowner tag or go on a guided hunt, that will definitely cost me more money than a DIY hunt. But, I also have the opportunity to go to get a tag in my state, or apply for easy to draw tags in another state and hunt every year.
Many people don't have the time to scout out of state, or often don't have the knowledge on hunting mule deer or elk, so they pay for that "help" and chance at a higher success rate, than going DYI.
Pick which path you want to take and quit whining about what other people will spend on tags/hunts.

JP, what you said here mad me sad for some people I know. Their Dad made as much money and spent as little on family as he could. That way he went on countless hunts , including all the Sheep. He spent little time with family. They know it...

I have been luck to draw some great hunts and have taken my children on some also. We go DIY and have a great time. I would never spend the money they are asking for a guided hunt. Would rather invest that and build a nest egg to pass on to my children. Part of the hunt is the planning, camping, cooking, and the pride of getting it done solo, with a family member or friend.

Nonresident hunting has always been a rich man’s sport. Unfortunately nonresident hunt it is become more of a rich man’s game. Finding the right balance to spend money and time on hunting vs family is a personal choice. I know my wife would be ok if I quit hunting and spent all my spare time on home improvement projects. I still spend way more on my family than I do hunting. I could have easily completed a sheep slam in the last 5 years if I had spent that time and $$ on hunting instead of family. I know I would have more fun hunting coyotes on public land DIY than many of they guides “trophy hunts”
Personally I get more satisfaction DYI than using $$ to buy a trophy.

Life is all about balance and priority. It is natural and easy to be envious of the 20-something year old that hunts everything all the time...but if he/she is hunting all the time, then they aren't enjoying the plethora of other joys that life has to offer. At the end of the day, there isn't really anything that impressive about a one-dimensional person outside of that one thing.
Our modern society/world has largely taken away a lot of the ability to be casual about things. Between limited opportunities, higher cost, and social pressures...being casual is just plain more difficult to pull off.
We live in a capitalistic society, so those will the most money will always have more outcomes. The Constitution was designed to product equal "opportunity" not equal outcome. In relation to hunting that means you and I have the "opportunity" to hunt public lands during public seasons. For those willing to spend their money...their "opportunity" is greatly expanded. But at the end of the day, we both get to hunt, which is awesome!

JP, what you said here mad me sad for some people I know. Their Dad made as much money and spent as little on family as he could. That way he went on countless hunts , including all the Sheep. He spent little time with family. They know it...
It’s funny. I don’t do social media but I still see stuff, either here or someone showing me. When I see the guy that hunts everything, all year, every state all the time. I have zero envy. All I see is a selfish life. If that does it for them great. Someone else in there life is probably really missing something they’d love to have

This topic has been debated many times on this forum. Hunting is a "rich mans game" if you want it to be. If I choose to purchase a landowner tag or go on a guided hunt, that will definitely cost me more money than a DIY hunt. But, I also have the opportunity to go to get a tag in my state, or apply for easy to draw tags in another state and hunt every year.
Many people don't have the time to scout out of state, or often don't have the knowledge on hunting mule deer or elk, so they pay for that "help" and chance at a higher success rate, than going DYI.
Pick which path you want to take and quit whining about what other people will spend on tags/hunts.
Not whining at all I’ve never done a guided hunt and don’t want to I’m just talking in general.

Yes one is it’s to expensive, two I hunt not only for the trophy and the meat but to make memories with my family and friends not a guide that I don’t know
You can find guided hunts that don't cost an arm and a leg, and a good amount of guided hunts you can bring along said family members.

This is no different than anything else in society....supply and demand. There is a reason a Ferrari is $300k+ and not $50k. Everything in life is a rich man's game if you really think about it. Though it is unfortunate that people are slowly being priced or cutout of hunting opportunities, there is nothing that will change the direction it is going unless people lose interest.
The price of a Ferrari has absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand.

every "sport" is becoming a rich man's sport. try rodeo, team roping, golf, etc. i guess it's because everybody takes something fun and tries to turn it into a business. money always buys the rewards.
Best story on this I've heard, was a guy enjoyed fishing for bass. He went pro, lost all the fun of bass fishing; his last tournament, he started catching and releasing and having fun. He turned the business back to fun.

At this point, for me, all I can say is I'd trade a guided or unguided 200" Mule Deer for the same feeling I had when I killed my first blacktail with my Dad in camp, or my first Drake Mallard on public ground, or my first wild Steelhead. I'm afraid money won't help me.

Rich man’s game….ha lol …..$5000 to $15,000 will get you a hell of a tag and a hunt. That’s used car prices, Hardly rich man money. Have you been to the grocery store$$$$$ lately or looked into buying a house$$$$ or some land $$$$$ have you been to Disneyland $$$$$ how about a nice restaurant dinner for two $$$$$$. Better save up a little because prices aren’t going to come down. 1970’s and 80’s are long gone !!

Rich man’s game….ha lol …..$5000 to $15,000 will get you a hell of a tag and a hunt. That’s used car prices, Hardly rich man money. Have you been to the grocery store$$$$$ lately or looked into buying a house$$$$ or some land $$$$$ have you been to Disneyland $$$$$ how about a nice restaurant dinner for two $$$$$$. Better save up a little because prices aren’t going to come down. 1970’s and 80’s are long gone !!
I love the guys that still come in and complain about ammo or god forbid...primer and powder prices. "Before covid I could get them for this" well cool, this is what we're charged and this is what we charge. Count your blessings we still can get them.

I have a unique perspective. State game animals are just that. Animals to feed the state, read the definition. We are entitled to hunt because game = food, substance. No stat wants to challenge this. Trophy hunting is unique. It is hunting for the most mutual animal you are able to find with reasonable harvest opportunity. I am a meat hunter for the most part. The a very basics.

Maybe there's a time and a place for everything. I was raised DYI hunting. We've raised our kids hunting since they were babies. We hunted every year DIY, and always enjoyed our family time. When my oldest daughter graduated college, her "graduation gift" was to go on a guided hunt in Wyoming. So we went on a great hunt, with a great guide and had some awesome family time on the trip, and on the hunt. I don't go on a lot of guided hunts, but i don't see a problem with it when I do. I guess I spend more than some, and less than others, when I have gone guided.
It's all relative. My honeymoon wasn't cheap. Our family vacation to Hawaii wasn't cheap, but I work to have money to spend on the things I want and what my family needs. I won't loose a bit of sleep over that.

Yeah I hunt with my kids so that’s a tradition I want to do every year not every 3
I agree with you here. But is there no other opportunity to hunt big game in Utah every year? Has UT really gotten that hard to get a tag? Not a specific tag but a tag.

Could you find a CO or ID hunt you can do in the years you can't hunt UT?

I hunt deer EVERY YEAR and I live in Kali. We hunt over the counter blacktails. But I also hunt out of state somewhere for Mule deer more than every 3 years.

It can be done on a normal budget.

I have not and will not hunt guided for big game. I have thought about doing it for spring conservation snow geese.

Whats a poaching fine? I could probably poach mule deer for 20 years and not get caught. I won't but could. This is the problem with charging huge numbers for a "trophy buck or bull" and social media craziness. Everyone needs the validation and can't do it themselves and can't afford to pay someone else to do it for them. So they do stupid chit...shoot and steal some woman's buck or trespass and shoot the rancher's grandkids' buck....etc. then all the Insta nut clingers love them and even defend the BS...pathetic.

It’s funny. I don’t do social media but I still see stuff, either here or someone showing me. When I see the guy that hunts everything, all year, every state all the time. I have zero envy. All I see is a selfish life. If that does it for them great. Someone else in there life is probably really missing something they’d love to have
MM IS social media at it’s finest.

I think a lot of us that are older have seen really good hunting. I could buy Elk, Deer and Antelope tags every year. I’ve drawn 10 once in a lifetime tags. I was able to hunt with my daughters and wife and they took nice animals, now they are in College. The really good tags are a rich man’s game now or you wait your turn of 27 to 35 years of preference points. With the pandemic and everyone moving to the west and watching the Meat Eater and becoming hunters has flooded the western states big game draws. CWD control, severe droughts last 8 years , severe winter kills and putting max pressure on our big game units has knocked the trophy end out of a lot of hunting units. I like game meat and have eaten it all my life, but I like big Antlers and horns I like seeing mature animals. All be honest Pickett I’m not going to jump on the band wagon and buy a new Razor like everyone else and go tear up the deserts and mountains looking for a young animal that’s trying to get away. If I had kids today I do not think I would get them into hunting. I feel very blessed for my travels and my hunts and the time spent alone, life is changing, hunting is changing. The way things are going in a few years there may not be anymore nonresident hunting. I love hunting and will keep hunting, I still have a handful of great chances. The way the Idaho Fish and Game manages our herds it won’t be to long before you can go to your local farmer and shoot yourself a Buck or a Bull in his pen.

The first year I started hunting in CO, a sportsman's license was $25. That license included fishing, small game, elk, deer, bear, turkey and lion and, I think, trapping. $25. I knew people back then that had to budget for that and the food and the ammo, and the time away from work, etc. Prices have risen for everything; income seems to be a little behind.

Since then I have managed to hunt every year, except for a couple years when USN would not let me go.

Then I moved from CO because of politics. Then I left NV, sold most of my toys and moved back to MT because I got lucky with a few investments. Killed a very nice spring bear on my own place. I won't have any trouble with an elk or deer. But, still, that one area in southern CO draws me not unlike a moth to a flame. Deer quality has been down for a few years. Elk quality has been more circumstantial than before. But, still, the memories will keep me going back.

I just can't bring myself to hire a guide on a 20K hunt. I have nothing against folks who do, it just isn't my thing to have someone else poke and prod me along towards what they think is the right spot. I'd rather find that right spot by myself. Or not.

All be honest Pickett I’m not going to jump on the band wagon and buy a new Razor like everyone else and go tear up the deserts and mountains looking for a young animal that’s trying to get away
Whoa!! What did I do? I was having a nice time here!

For the record, I got a sxs because i think i must be getting old and tired of getting the chit beat out of me in the truck or on a quad. Passed every “young” critter I saw last year and just last night watched two bears that were too small to shoot for about an hour. The sxs got nothing to do with it

It is fun though you old Scrooge

I do believe there's also an ego stigma for alot of guys when it comes to the idea of a "guided" hunt. "Me.....great hunter, yes?? Then that is all you need to know". The mindset that you have to do it on your own or your less of a hunter or so on, I have seen that alot, whether some of yall want to admit it or not, it shows.

I'll say one thing, I know how to hunt elk, especially archery elk. I respect archery elk hunting enough to have had taken 2 years off because I gut shot a cow and found the remains a week later, it made me sick to my stomach, so I hung that all up until I was shooting bulletholes and gained enough confidence in myself to know I had given my all to respect the next animal enough with a clean shot.

All that said, the guide I hunted with made me look like I had never hunted elk in my life. Elk were moving up the valley in the morning, there was a great pinch point that I spotted and I thought we should get there and ambush, wrong.....i trusted the guide and that was the best decision I could make. He toom us up the side of this rocky hill into some junipers, it's as if someone had them elk on a leash because they walked right to us.

Later that evening we sat and glassed and listened, waiting for the elk to start moving down the same valley. He pointed to a little highway and said, they are gonna come right through there...we should get down there and ambush. He was human and wanted to wait a little bit though just to make sure he wasn't wrong, he wasn't. We heard a scream and boom, we took off down the hill. 80 yards from where we wanted to be, the elk were already right EXACTLY where he said they would be going. We waited and then backed out.

Next morning we did the same tactic as the previous morning and tried for that pinch point area. It was sprinkling and the elk were going nuts. Again, I pushed for the pinch point but he wanted to go a different route. I trusted him again, he wanted to head up the other hillside and get behind them. We did just that, closed within 100yrds of a screaming bull. Guide smiled and let out ONE single cow call and that bull turned and bolted to us.

The rest was history. This guy made every right move on these animals. Thats what I payed for in a guided hunt. I came out of that hunt humbled, with 10000x more knowledge, a full freezer, and a hunting story that I got to experience with my brother at my side the whole way.

Whoa!! What did I do? I was having a nice time here!

For the record, I got a sxs because i think i must be getting old and tired of getting the chit beat out of me in the truck or on a quad. Passed every “young” critter I saw last year and just last night watched two bears that were too small to shoot for about an hour. The sxs got nothing to do with it

It is fun though you old Scrooge
No old Scrooge here, I’m just making a point and you happened to be the last one to bring up the sxs, All I’m saying is there are a lot of changes going on in hunting and that is one of the worst ones.

No old Scrooge here, I’m just making a point and you happened to be the last one to bring up the sxs, All I’m saying is there are a lot of changes going on in hunting and that is one of the worst ones.
Funny thing is that my new sxs will actually limit some of the places I used to hunt off my quad. Won’t fit on the trails. So, I’ll hunt those spots like used to when I was a poor boy and couldn’t afford a quad. I’ll park the rig, hike up the ridge. Ironic I guess that my sxs will make me less lazy. But, carry on

I do believe there's also an ego stigma for alot of guys when it comes to the idea of a "guided" hunt. "Me.....great hunter, yes?? Then that is all you need to know". The mindset that you have to do it on your own or your less of a hunter or so on, I have seen that alot, whether some of yall want to admit it or not, it shows.

I'll say one thing, I know how to hunt elk, especially archery elk. I respect archery elk hunting enough to have had taken 2 years off because I gut shot a cow and found the remains a week later, it made me sick to my stomach, so I hung that all up until I was shooting bulletholes and gained enough confidence in myself to know I had given my all to respect the next animal enough with a clean shot.

All that said, the guide I hunted with made me look like I had never hunted elk in my life. Elk were moving up the valley in the morning, there was a great pinch point that I spotted and I thought we should get there and ambush, wrong.....i trusted the guide and that was the best decision I could make. He toom us up the side of this rocky hill into some junipers, it's as if someone had them elk on a leash because they walked right to us.

Later that evening we sat and glassed and listened, waiting for the elk to start moving down the same valley. He pointed to a little highway and said, they are gonna come right through there...we should get down there and ambush. He was human and wanted to wait a little bit though just to make sure he wasn't wrong, he wasn't. We heard a scream and boom, we took off down the hill. 80 yards from where we wanted to be, the elk were already right EXACTLY where he said they would be going. We waited and then backed out.

Next morning we did the same tactic as the previous morning and tried for that pinch point area. It was sprinkling and the elk were going nuts. Again, I pushed for the pinch point but he wanted to go a different route. I trusted him again, he wanted to head up the other hillside and get behind them. We did just that, closed within 100yrds of a screaming bull. Guide smiled and let out ONE single cow call and that bull turned and bolted to us.

The rest was history. This guy made every right move on these animals. Thats what I payed for in a guided hunt. I came out of that hunt humbled, with 10000x more knowledge, a full freezer, and a hunting story that I got to experience with my brother at my side the whole way.
I always felt like it was ego that wouldn't let a man admit that a guided hunt is actually the easier way out.

If it didn't make it easier why the hell would someone spend so much more to go on a guided hunt.

Hunt how you want spend your money how you want but don't act like hunting with a guide or on private or both isn't easier.

I always felt like it was ego that wouldn't let a man admit that a guided hunt is actually the easier way out.

If it didn't make it easier why the hell would someone spend so much more to go on a guided hunt.

Hunt how you want spend your money how you want but don't act like hunting with a guide or on private or both isn't easier.
No one said it wasn't easier.

Hey JP!

I Warned you On Buying That Side X Side!:D

Funny thing is that my new sxs will actually limit some of the places I used to hunt off my quad. Won’t fit on the trails. So, I’ll hunt those spots like used to when I was a poor boy and couldn’t afford a quad. I’ll park the rig, hike up the ridge. Ironic I guess that my sxs will make me less lazy. But, carry on

Might be a little easier because a guide usually knows where to go,knows the country and has been scouting the game, also usually more successful.

every "sport" is becoming a rich man's sport. try rodeo, team roping, golf, etc. i guess it's because everybody takes something fun and tries to turn it into a business. money always buys the rewards.
Funny how we do this to ourselves, we are our own worst enemy at times. I’m guilty of doing it.

By simple math, hunting with a guide does make you less of a hunter. It is a 2:1 ratio instead of a 1:1 ratio. It's like playing a 2-on-1 basketball game, you don't get the same credit for winning as 1:1. As for your experience, it sounds like the guide new what he was doing; which means that you weren't as involved in the decision making processes. It becomes your guide vs the elk instead of you vs the elk. So, is it you or your guide who is the great hunter? I am not saying there is anything wrong with guide hunting...but it isn't the same as DIY. To each, their own.

By simple math, hunting with a guide does make you less of a hunter. It is a 2:1 ratio instead of a 1:1 ratio. It's like playing a 2-on-1 basketball game, you don't get the same credit for winning as 1:1. As for your experience, it sounds like the guide new what he was doing; which means that you weren't as involved in the decision making processes. It becomes your guide vs the elk instead of you vs the elk. So, is it you or your guide who is the great hunter? I am not saying there is anything wrong with guide hunting...but it isn't the same as DIY. To each, their own.
It's not the same, never said it was, but it doesn't diminish the fact that you're still out there hunting, yours still putting in the leg work youre still tracking, etc. By your mindset then you're saying that all youth hunters are just along for the ride then. At that mindset any animal taken with anyone else in the picture, wouldn't that make it more odds in your favor like your "basketball" reference? If we go by what you're saying, if you're not hunting alone, then aren't you basically doing the same as someone having a guide? You're having someone else along that may see things different than you or call maybe just a little different or??

It's not the same, never said it was, but it doesn't diminish the fact that you're still out there hunting, yours still putting in the leg work youre still tracking, etc. By your mindset then you're saying that all youth hunters are just along for the ride then. At that mindset any animal taken with anyone else in the picture, wouldn't that make it more odds in your favor like your "basketball" reference? If we go by what you're saying, if you're not hunting alone, then aren't you basically doing the same as someone having a guide? You're having someone else along that may see things different than you or call maybe just a little different or??
I get what you're saying here and somewhat agree...but.

I remember my first deer I killed and it is very special to me. The rest of the deer I killed as a youth that were pointed out to me by my dad are special too. But even as a youth I recognized they weren't gonna mean as much to me as the first one I killed ALL by myself. And I was right. Ask my kids and they will tell you the same.

Many guided hunts that I've had hunters tell me about were little more than a guy going out and shooting what the guide pointed at. To me that is meaningless. Which is why to me in a lot of photos of guided hunts the guide looks happier and prouder than the shooter.

I get what you're saying here and somewhat agree...but.

I remember my first deer I killed and it is very special to me. The rest of the deer I killed as a youth that were pointed out to me by my dad are special too. But even as a youth I recognized they weren't gonna mean as much to me as the first one I killed ALL by myself. And I was right. Ask my kids and they will tell you the same.

Many guided hunts that I've had hunters tell me about were little more than a guy going out and shooting what the guide pointed at. To me that is meaningless. Which is why to me in a lot of photos of guided hunts the guide looks happier and prouder than the shooter.
I do agree with what you're saying, but thankfully my experience with a guided hunt, I was extremely proud of myself. Mainly because I was sick as hell and almost didn't get out of bed that morning lol. But all in all we all hunted hard so it was a journey for sure.

But I get what you're saying. Yes, my first solo animal and every solo animal did mean more, but i didn't lose that sense of hunting and what not with guided. The guided hunt almost left me feeling smarter, because I knew that if I took my ego out of the equation and went with someone who lived and breathed elk hunting that my energy could be more focused on the trophy, rather than just finding the damn things.

Again, I'm in no way saying DIY and guided aren't different. But I will say that the guys trying to argue that "I won't go guided because I want to go with my family and do it myself.." welll......realistically you're not doing it yourself. You have multiple eyes and multiple mindsets and multiple people over looking many areas more than likely. Just like our old elk hunting group. We all hunt different areas of a unit, but we let eachother know where the animals are. In hence..."guiding" the others in the right direction.

In the initial post I was responding to, you eluded to the fact that hunting with a guide doesn't make you less of a hunter...but it does. When you are a youth, your Dad/Mentor is calling the shots...same as being guided. It isn't the same as doing it on your own, but is a necessary part of learning (which you mentioned was a value of being with a guide and I don't disagree). If you have other people helping, that is different than other people calling the shots and making the decisions. If they are doing that for you, than that is no different than having a guide either.
Again, nothing wrong with guides or being guided...but it isn't the same as DIY and it does make you less of a hunter on that hunt.

They've Ripped Our State To Pieces With Them Things!

Every OPPOR-F'N-TUNIST In This State Owns At Least 2 Of Them!

I Laughed A Few Years Ago!

The Biggest Baddest Machine You'll Ever See!

Top End CAMO On All 4 Guys That Were In That SUM-*****!

Piped!

TURBO'ED!

The Biggest Tires I've Ever Seen On One!

Even Had Their CAMO Masks On!

RIPPIN & TEARIN Everywhere!

I'd Of Liked To Have Seen A PISSCUTTER Buck Cross In Front Of Them!:D

i wasn't ready for all the discrimination

You Know Why,Right?

They've Gotta Have The NEWEST,MOST POWERFUL,BAD-ASSED Machine Available From Year To Year!

You Found The Right Guy To Buy One From!

That I believe. I can tell you if you’re looking to buy one second hand you can’t beat the inventory in Utah. I was amazed how many there were when I was looking

Best story on this I've heard, was a guy enjoyed fishing for bass. He went pro, lost all the fun of bass fishing; his last tournament, he started catching and releasing and having fun. He turned the business back to fun.
Not true. That was his excuse for coming in last place at the tournament:LOL:

This BS of hunting 4-5 states a year is a recent deal.

If a person wants cheap hunting stay in your state of residence. Resident hunting is dirt cheap.

Problem currently is everyone wants 2.4 kids, an $800k home, $80k truck, fancy vacations, blah blah AND cheap NR hunts and guided hunts.

Have to prioritize, just can't have it all.

You Know Why,Right?

They've Gotta Have The NEWEST,MOST POWERFUL,BAD-ASSED Machine Available From Year To Year!

You Found The Right Guy To Buy One From!
That’s what scares the crap out of me, there building a new 17 acre Karl Malone Super Center in Bellevue Idaho

If a person wants cheap hunting stay in your state of residence. Resident hunting is dirt cheap.

Problem currently is everyone wants 2.4 kids, an $800k home, $80k truck, fancy vacations, blah blah AND cheap NR hunts and guided hunts.

I don’t have it all my house or truck is nowhere near that price

Again my state takes 3 years to draw so I’m heading to other states to hunt

Know a guy who bought the latest and greatest for f350 super duty or whatever....120k or something. 1600$ monthly payments......WHY????? WHY WHY WHY

Why is it BS to hunt several states
Is it cause in your state you have plenty of opportunities to hunt and don’t wanna end up doing the same thing

It’s not BS to hunt several you just have to be prepared and do your homework. I just left Wyoming, I don’t blame the guys in Wyoming for wanting to shut the none residents out and keep it for yourself. I just drove the entire Salt Range, I also stopped by the Castle in the heart of some of the finest Mule Deer Country
IMG_3167.png
IMG_3168.png

Million dollar homes, $100k pickups, $40k SxS’s, $100k boats with chippy’s on the front with $10k titties, $10k rifles with $5k scopes…..the list goes on. Makes a $1 million dollar guided sheep hunt seem entirely reasonable.

We’re either living in a Roman orgy, or we’re swordfighting on the Colosseum floor. Not sure which anymore.

Why is it BS to hunt several states
Is it cause in your state you have plenty of opportunities to hunt and don’t wanna end up doing the same thing
It's BS because NR constantly cry about being mistreated, how expensive it is, and on and on and on.

Take advantage of the opportunity in the state you live in. Concentrate on what you can do instead of crying about what you can't.

There's an epidemic of NR entitlement thinking they "have" to hunt out of state every year.

As much whining and as miserable as so many NRs sound, why put yourself through all the grief?

Hunt your home state and put some fun back into it.

It's BS because NR constantly cry about being mistreated, how expensive it is, and on and on and on.

Take advantage of the opportunity in the state you live in. Concentrate on what you can do instead of crying about what you can't.

There's an epidemic of NR entitlement thinking they "have" to hunt out of state every year.

As much whining and as miserable as so many NRs sound, why put yourself through all the grief?

I actually do both. I also look forward to the hunts that I can do out of state with my family and friends, or just by myself. I have a ton of fun too.
I think it's a privilege to hunt in another state, and appreciate every time I get to do so.
Maybe one day, I'll buy a big expensive house in Wyoming, and hunt my resident deer, and complain about all of the NR's coming to my state.

Yep your one of those guys who think cause you live in the state you own it and make it hard for NR

BS.

Do SOME nonresident hunters complain? Sure.

You'd think as a Democrat you'd be less judgemental.

Maybe you're not a Democrat?

Your generalization would be like me assuming all Dems are gay..

BS.

You're likely to get more traction with your nonsense on a political board.

BS.

Its very common for NR's to complain. I can't tell you how many people every single year I hear cry about the cost or hunting NR In colorado. " the cost for NR's is stupid!!!! Derrrrrr". Then hunt your own state, or become a resident and pay all the state taxes like the residents do.

You're likely to get more traction with your nonsense on a political board.
Wasn't really trying for traction.

Was making a point about generalizations of folks and how they are the problem. Not just some of group A or group B but ALL of them. It's horse chit. It's typically not even a majority of the groups being complained about that are the problem. Although it may seem so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom