Riding saddles

nmbighorn

Who makes the best quality riding saddle? What should I look for in a quality riding saddle?
I have ridden before so I have some experience just never owned horses or mules.

Lots of good saddles out there and depends on what riding you’re going to do. I will assume hunting and mountain riding since this is hunting forum. I would Avoid roping type saddles with low cantles. Look for straight back 4-5 in. Association style trees are a happy medium. Look at Corriente saddles, they have lots of options. Best saddles for the money if your buying new

Lots of good saddles out there and depends on what riding you’re going to do. I will assume hunting and mountain riding since this is hunting forum. I would Avoid roping type saddles with low cantles. Look for straight back 4-5 in. Association style trees are a happy medium. Look at Corriente saddles, they have lots of options. Best saddles for the money if your buying new
I use nothing but the ranch and rope but I need the “Rope” side of it!

I like a ranch saddle. Get one that fits you and fits your horse.
Take a look at teskeys.com at new and used saddles they have a huge selection, many brands. I bought one there a few years ago ordered it Monday it was at the house Tuesday.
Saddles are like rifles and bows you can find them from $200 to $4000.
IMHO a Jeff Smith Saddle is one of the best saddles you can buy but they are pricey.
You could talk to an independent saddle maker and get one custom made.
I look at saddles as a long term investment.
If you buy a saddle that doesn’t fit the horse after a little while the hair around his withers will turn white where it is a bad fit.
Also, a good saddle pad like a 5 Star pad is to me, just as important as a good saddle.

My favorite is my Corriente ranch saddle. Have put lots of miles in it over lots of varied terrain. As was mentioned a good pad is essential. I use a good 1” wool felt pad. Protects my horses back very well.

IMG_0332.jpeg

Here’s one of my Corrientes here . My horses have super wide backs, and they don’t get sore.

You'd be surprised what you can find on Ebay for saddles sometimes...I bought a custom Wade for under 1k on there over a decade ago, it had a simple discoloration in the leather when it dried, that you cant even see on the pommel, so the maker listed it and nobody else bid. . That saddle has carried me thousands of miles through 10 years of full time guiding, and my personal hunts and pack trips now adays. . yes, a good custom 4k+ saddle is worth it, but sometimes you can find a great saddle for much less.

I did the same thing on that Circle Y. Saw it on eBay thought it looked good and bought it. It showed up and I thought dang it I would have paid more than the $450 I paid for it.

Also found my daughter a real nice used Double J barrel saddle in great condition for $700 on eBay and every nice used Double J barrel saddle I had found was around $1500 to $2000

Guys that spend a lot time dealing with saddles, on the riding side of saddles say old saddles, at the the oldest saddles from the last 100 years we’re build when horse where thinner with higher withers, etc. and they don’t fit todays horse well. I’ve never studied that but it may be the truth.

I’ve also wondered, over the years about saddles bought for hard working horse/cattle operations. The horses on these ranchers as lean and tough as a boot. I’m not sure a saddle that fits these kinds of horses, as compared to what most folks keep in their pastures on high protein feed every day, that are fat and girthty. However that might be complete incorrect becauseI never heard anyone else ever mention it.

A saddle for a heavy quarter vs a quarter/Thoroughbred cross might not be a good idea……??

Comes down to if the saddle fits the horse correctly and no sign of galls or saddle sores and is a real comfortable saddle for the cowboy and the horse is in shape they can ride all day.
If a saddle is a real misfit for the horse it won’t be long before it starts showing.
On a ranch where they use horses every day they will have a string of horses and change horses every couple of days or every day.
I think a lot of people buy a saddle and just throw it on and if the horse doesn’t buck them off they figure it fits.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom