Rifle Hunt During Rut Survey

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-09 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]

I will vote no if it ones and for all gets the pro-shop city archery boys to STFU.

hope you all get it how you like it, some of us were applying before it was cool.

NO. I drew an incredible rifle hunt during the rut last year and my hunt was over in 20 minutes on opening morning. I love being amongst screaming bulls but it just wasn't the same sense dumping a herd bull from 150 yards out as it would have been had I put an arrow in him at 10. A great OIL hunt but not the same.

In my opinion this is also one of the main reasons the Gila has been suffering from a lack of big bulls in significant numbers here in New Mexico for the past several years.

This cracks me up.
7-10 years ago the archery LE Elk hunts were the very best time to hunt rutting Bulls,I didn't hear any stickflickers belly aching back then?
But now the weather has become better/warmer the last several years & hunting pressure has pushed the rut later we have a bunch archery hunters not being able to stand the rifle hunters getting a crack at the ruttin bulls.
Now we have a bunch of Dink killers in LE units,seems like if the Archery crowd wants more quality they'd band together & try & help get this BullCrap stopped.
Just when you think you've seen the UDWR pull the most stupid stunt possible they come up with one that'll top the last stupid stunt.
You listening UDWR?

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

Just so Young Country is aware UBA tried to get the LE Hunt to be during the rut, they use to have the AR 301 permits and the archery guys were content with that althoug 12 years ago they fought to have the rut for archery hunters. SFW had other plans and were able to push there beliefs through because of the money they were giving the DWR at the time. All they had to do was tell them what needed to be done and it happened, they wanted the LE hunt to be during the rut for the rifle hunters in which they supported the most at that time!

Had SFW stayed out of the AR 301 situation archers wouldn't be complaining hardly at all, and for all you guys saying its a "any weapon" hunt you need to either put out with your bow or shut up and prove to me you are stupid enough to hunt with your bow when you can have a rifle instead.

Fact is 90% of those posting to this thread want to see it changed and hopefully it will!

NO! NO! NO!

Rifle hunters can still kill a bull in Oct. they just might have to put down the natti light and get their fat ___'s off the quad to do it.

Just so YoungCountry knows?
I've always known.
And I'll give the stick flippers credit,scream loud enough & long enough & the UDWR will satisfy!
The any weapon hunts are just that,bring your Bow or your 338 Lapua,it doesn't matter,it's your choice,so quit your whining.
You feather flippers want every advantage,I say split the advantages up just a little or start a couple of new LE Units and let them be managed by the stick flippers only.
How's that?

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

Amen YoungCountry! If you stick strokers would spend half as much time in the mountains as you did online crying about how unfair life has been you might have a little better success. I would be all for changing the dates if "ANY WEAPON" hunts had a month to hunt elk, stick flippers can have the week that "ANY WEAPON" has right now.I don't understand why archers think they need more and more of a advantage? I know it is not all archers that throw fits like my 3 year old, but there seems to be no shortage of them on this website. No one forces any of you to hunt with a bow, that is your decision so live with it. While you tuff online boys where taking shots at me I was on the mountain getting ready for my up coming hunt in a year or two. If you guys would put a little bit of time in to your hunt instead of crying online it would probably be a much better hunt for the MONTH that you have to be in god's country.

Tay-

You obviously have never hunted elk in August which is why you are acting like such an idiot. An archery hunter in this state really has only a few days in September to get anything done. They are huntable in August but it is extremely tough.....but you wouldn't know that. You think it's right to give the archers the worst time of year to hunt them with the most challenging weapon? You must need every advantage you can get to get an elk down....best time of year and the longest range weapon. Maybe we should give you three seasons so you can get it done. While you are talking out of your anus you should understand that a lot of us "Stick Stoker's" that are "crying" are very dedicated hunters and spend a ton of time scouting and hunting. This year I have put in many days scouting and I put in 18 days hunting the archery hunt. Is that enough for you? Seems to me that as much time as you are spending on this site talking out of your anus abut things you don't know about you are the one acting like your 3 year old.

You cant argue with Tay, cause your arguing with an idiot and he will just drag you down to his level and beat you with EXPERIENCE!!!

For real though Tay, if you are too stupid to understand success rates and tag allocation than maybe you should be able to hunt all year round, cause your stupid. The reason moving the "ANY WEAPON" hunt out of the rut is so you can issue more tags!! Not to help archers, but to LOWER SUCCESS RATES, then you can give alot more tags without losing QUALITY!! You need me to draw a picture? Then we can issue more tags and bring bull/cow ratios back in line and get rid of statewide spike hunts.. You following??? You afraid to chase bulls in October with your rile or what?? But hey its any weapon so you can use that spear your always talking about..... :)

Lucaar-
You obviously can not read because I have already stated once already that I spent this August hunting elk. You are right Archery has very few days to hunt in September but how many days do they have in August to hunt? I am not going to sit and waste time going back and forth with you. You remind of another guy that use to be around on this sit by the handle of PRO, he to was never wrong and his opinion was the only opinion regardless of what someone else had to say. Archery hunters have a choice to put in when they do, the dates are the same year after year. Anyone could hunt 3 seasons if it was a premium tag but again it is a more desired tag so suprise the odds are worse.I don't believe I ever said you aren't a dedicated hunter, but just because you choose to hunt with a bow doesn't make anymore dedicated then someone that hunts with a rifle. The DWR is doing a pretty good job with elk, there is plenty of chances to hunt elk every year. It just seems as though you think that it is your given right to hunt in a LE unit every 3-5 years. You can hunt elk every year if you choose too, but you are still mad that it isn't a LE unit??? I hope you can have your cake and eat it too one day, have a wonderful day and good luck on kill a pisscutter every 3-5 year.

Like the pisscutters in NM that some people kill year after year?? Just curious... Whats a pisscutter in your opinion Tay? 330?? Is that a pisscutter?

>You cant argue with Tay, cause
>your arguing with an idiot
>and he will just drag
>you down to his level
>and beat you with EXPERIENCE!!!
>
>
>For real though Tay, if you
>are too stupid to understand
>success rates and tag allocation
>than maybe you should be
>able to hunt all year
>round, cause your stupid. The
>reason moving the "ANY WEAPON"
>hunt out of the rut
>is so you can issue
>more tags!! Not to help
>archers, but to LOWER SUCCESS
>RATES, then you can give
>alot more tags without losing
>QUALITY!! You need me to
>draw a picture? Then we
>can issue more tags and
>bring bull/cow ratios back in
>line and get rid of
>statewide spike hunts.. You following???
>You afraid to chase bulls
>in October with your rile
>or what?? But hey its
>any weapon so you can
>use that spear your always
>talking about..... :)

Alright I give you guy's are to smart, I forgot that the state became one of the best states to hunt elk in because of you two keyboard boy geniuses on this site. Keep crying it has got you so far already that maybe by next year you can hunt from the start of August until the end of September. Best of luck with the open bull units you are trying to create. I hope Lucaar & Coyote_chaser have enough strength to pull yourself up from "My level" because the knowledge that you two have world hunger could be the next problem for you to settle. Thank you for the pleasure of being able to talk with you it has been very enlighting.

>Like the pisscutters in NM that
>some people kill year after
>year?? Just curious... Whats a
>pisscutter in your opinion Tay?
>330?? Is that a pisscutter?
>
No 330 is a great bull that I would be very happy with, that is why I hunt the Open Bull Units and wait my turn like everyone else for a chance at something bigger one day.

Tay I say good luck on your october Le rifle hunt coming 2010.
Change is coming!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

>Tay I say good luck on
>your october Le rifle hunt
>coming 2010.
>Change is coming!
>
>
4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

>Archery is a year round commitment!!
>

Thank you Swbuckmaster. I keep hearing you say change is coming and you seem to be a pretty good guy so it probably is for the better. If change is coming can you say when it would be? If it would be before the next years hunt it would probably change the unit and possibly the hunt I would like to draw. I would be very thankful for any info on the forum or in a pm. Thanks

Tay,

Please post your 330 bull killed on an open unit... We are all waiting.. Maybe 5 or 6 a year are killed that score that high on general units... lol

>You cant argue with Tay, cause
>your arguing with an idiot
>and he will just drag
>you down to his level
>and beat you with EXPERIENCE!!!
>
>
>For real though Tay, if you
>are too stupid to understand
>success rates and tag allocation
>than maybe you should be
>able to hunt all year
>round, cause your stupid. The
>reason moving the "ANY WEAPON"
>hunt out of the rut
>is so you can issue
>more tags!! Not to help
>archers, but to LOWER SUCCESS
>RATES, then you can give
>alot more tags without losing
>QUALITY!! You need me to
>draw a picture? Then we
>can issue more tags and
>bring bull/cow ratios back in
>line and get rid of
>statewide spike hunts.. You following???
>You afraid to chase bulls
>in October with your rile
>or what?? But hey its
>any weapon so you can
>use that spear your always
>talking about..... :)

You may need to use a crayon to make your point.....

>Tay,
>
>Please post your 330 bull killed
>on an open unit... We
>are all waiting.. Maybe 5
>or 6 a year are
>killed that score that high
>on general units... lol

where did he say that he killed a 330 bull on a general unit?

Reddog here is his quote

"No 330 is a great bull that I would be very happy with, that is why I hunt the Open Bull Units..."

I figured from that statement he hunts open bull units cause there are 330 class bulls to be harvested.... How many 330 class bulls you know about being killed each year on General Open Bull units?? :)

Dont know why you and Tay are so worried about hunting bulls in October.. Hell Tay says he hunts harder than any archer so he should have no problem finding a good bull in October.

>Reddog here is his quote
>
>"No 330 is a great bull
>that I would be very
>happy with, that is why
>I hunt the Open Bull
>Units..."
>
>I figured from that statement he
>hunts open bull units cause
>there are 330 class bulls
>to be harvested.... How many
>330 class bulls you know
>about being killed each year
>on General Open Bull units??
>:)
>
That is exactly what I am saying, there is a chance. This is the same agruement that goes on every year. I don't like that it takes so long to draw a elk tag in Utah either, but I don't think I should have to hunt with a bow to hunt elk in the rut. I have said a few things that I probably shouldn't have to other hunters and I am sorry for that. I hope you can understand my frustration that I have been in the point game for so long to have a chance to hunt elk in the rut with my rifle and people want to take it. I think there should be some sort of compromise maybe some units get the the rut with a bow, some get the rut with a rifle, and some get the rut with a muzzle?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-09 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]There are some guys that just don't get it.
It is not archery vs rifle. Archers are not whinning cause they have it bad, or its unfair. And any hunter that wants change because it benefits their perfered weapon choice or their upcoming hunt only, is WRONG in doing so.
It would help everyone to take the most effective weapon out of the rut.
OPEN YOUR EYES!

Please don't make this out to be about one weapon vs another. We are all hunters.

>This is a quick little survey.
>
>I want to take a little
>census on whether people are
>in favor of Rifle hunting
>during the rut or not
>for Elk.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Inmysights
>
>Just post a quick Yes or
>No.

Yes I have been patiently waiting for my once in lifetime LE Tag in the rut for 14 years. It will probably be the only trophy tag I will ever get and I want them bugling.

And your situation is the reason it needs to be changed... Hunting elk should not be a OIL hunt.. They can be bugling you just have to choose a different weapon, like a muzz or a bow.. Then instead of waiting your whole life to get a tag, you might get 3-4 hunts..

>And your situation is the reason
>it needs to be changed...
>Hunting elk should not be
>a OIL hunt.. They can
>be bugling you just have
>to choose a different weapon,
>like a muzz or a
>bow.. Then instead of waiting
>your whole life to get
>a tag, you might get
>3-4 hunts..

We all have are own views.
I will and do hunt them with any weapon and have taken many animals with a bow and a muzzleloader. I hunt the general hunts and have good success. I havent hunted a deer with a rifle in 10 years, and if they change the LE hunt out of the rut I will get my trophy bull whenever the hunt is and with whatever weapon they deem apropriate.

The DWR has had these hunts this way since, they started managing for trophy class animals!! What you guys are saying is that the rut hunt with a rifle is killing to many animals.(right) This is exactly why they do it!! Yes, it is true that the rifle hunt will still have success at a later date, but if you add more tags to that later hunt HOPING that success rates will be lower and there not then what happens!!! Years and Years of managing elk to the current level (which is almost the objective the state wants)is gone and we all start over again!!

The rut hunt has been going on with a rifle for years and each and every year our state continues to shoot monster's!!! The herds keep growing, the animals are healthy and everyone is happy, yet every year this arguement comes up and I cannot figure out "WHY"!!! It has to have something to do with jealousy!! Because UTAH'S elk herds have proved time and time again the rifle hunts DO NOT HURT THEM!!!

So, let's use a certain unit for example......Oquirrh/Stansbury
This unit has been exclusively LE for elk since the dawn of time the herd is getting outta whack, now this year everyone is excited and can go whack a spike!!! How many people do you know that got a spike on this unit with a bow, I know of ONE. Yet, I could show you guys more bulls than cows. Now with the spike rifle going it will give the pressure it needs. Even if they kill 10-20 spikes is all, it will make the herd more healthy. (even though this unit needs about 150 bulls taken out of it)

If everyone on here went and shot archery everyday and could consistently keep it in a group of 3-4 inches at fifty yards, it would be different!! The DWR plans on that 95% kill ratio(or whatever the percentage is), if we move it to later in OCT. than what we have is.......10-20 big bulls together heading off the mountain to winter, and increase tags....HHHHMMMM who hasn't done there homework. This sounds logical doesn't it!! NOT!!!

When a big bull is killed by a rifle in the rut, there are probably close to 10 or more bulls waiting to take his spot so how has this hurt anything?? Also, I believe that more animals shot with rifles are recovered!! (just my opinion)

I would like to see how the success rate went for archery during the rut, with them trying to sneak in on 10-20 sets of eyes, or maybe just start flipping sticks at water holes!! Wow I wonder what disturbs them more.......hunters sneaking around and spooking them, tree stands on every wallow, waterhole, trail crossing, bugling them even when there are not heating up yet, or cow calling for a hope at a glimpse!!!

OR JUST 1-2 LOUD BANGS!!! Maybe you have not watched elk in a thunder storm!!

There are elk hunts in UTAH from aug-nov. if you don't want to hunt bulls in the rut then don't, but don't bash the guys that do or want to!! I prefer meat and the hunt regardless of weapon or date!!!

Increasing opportunity is coming every year, sooner or later people will draw a tag!!

I think the proposed general dates
Archery Sept 1-21
Muzzle Sept 22- Oct 5
1st Rifle Sept 29-Oct 5
2nd Rifle Oct 21-28

All are reasonable dates. Much improved. Elk will be rutting in all seasons except late rifle.

How about these dates?

LE Any Weapon - 8/15 - 9/15
LE Archery - 9/16 - 9/24
LE Muzzy - 9/25 - 10/3

Everybody should be happy with these dates right? The rifle hunt is out of the rut. The achery hunt is in the rut. The success rate on the rifle hunt will go down down because this is the hardest time to hunt elk, right? More rifle tags would be the result of lower success. And muzzy guys, I'll give you more tags just because you're nice and don't beeotch as much as the archery hunters, ok, and rifle hunters. So now everyone is happy with these dates because I just accomplished everything that everyone wanted (more tags for everyone and the rifle hunt out of the rut). Let's make it happen.

Now hurry, someone post a reply before swbuck gets on here and tells us we're wasting our time because change is a comin. He kind of reminds of a street preacher telling us to repent because the end of the world is near and we're all going to HELL. OH NO, I'm burning, I'm burning!

No!

As was pointed out this is not, at least it should not, be about weapon choice. it is about having the most effective weapon hunting during the most effective time of the fall which handcuffs the DWR on how many tags can be issued each year. Two things can keep the trophy class bulls around yet still allow for more tags to be issued: 1]Move the rifle hunt out of September and put it the second week of October. 2]Give a higher percentage of tags to the archery/muzzy hunters who have lower success rates and kill on average smaller bulls.

I believe TAY said rifle guys should get 30 days to hunt, my question is, why? Rifle success rates are already around 90% and the average days in the field is less than 5, so why would they need more days? Just curious.

Yes.

It is also "any weapon" not just "rifle." If you are a die hard bowhunter and think you should be entitled to the best time of the rut, nothing is stopping you from drawing these better rut dates and hunting with a bow.

I think everyone shoud get a chance. But I do think that UT should give some better dates to the Archery hunters.

How can you guys be so "experienced" at elk hunting if you only draw a tag every 15 years?

In light of that thought, as a OIL hunt, I guess it does make sense that such a hunt would have to be during the rut in order to make sure hunters have the best opportunity possible on their one shot deal.

It's a OIL hunt because the rifle hunt is in the rut limiting the number of tags that can be issued. It's a chicken/egg scenario.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-10 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]No!

That being said, why does it have to be either or? Why can't a few units be managed for rifle rut hunts and a few managed for short range weapon rut hunts? Everybody wins! It just seems like common sense to me, but that would mean that common sense would become a factor and we can't have that.

I think its great to have the opportunity to rifle hunt during the rut. But the way Utah sets up the hunt dates for rifle, muzzeloader, and archery. And the amount of tags given out I dont agree. I feel Utah gives the archery hunters poor hunt dates. The archery hunt should be 7-10 latter. I feel there are to many early rifle tags being given out. I feel Utah, for what ever reason, caters to rifle hunters. Just my opinion.

I don't understand why the rifle guys are happy about their hunt being over at 8AM opening day....why do you want a peak rut rifle tag so you call fill it in the first hour? that's not why I hunt.

I'm in OR and hunt both weapons, don't have a steak in this game just an objective observer. I hunt for the experience and time with friends / family and the more of that the better. I'd hate to wait 15+ yrs for a tag and then fill it in the first hour, in fact I wouldn't do that....ever.

+1 to the guy who said rut hunts should be for youth and disabled only. The rest of us should enjoy the ENTIRE season or the most we can, spending time outdoors with our family, friends, and kids.

You guys who have waited 15+ years and filled a tag at first light, are you satisified with that?

No!!!!!! Seems the majority has spoken but the minority keep getting it their way. Go figure.

I don't think this is a very scientific study 6x5. I guarantee that most of the rifle guys stay away from a thread with a baited question like " should the rifle elk hunt be during the rut"? They just don't want to go down that road again, and again and again and defend themselves again and again and again. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

rutnelk,
Is there a scientific study somewhere? If so I'd like to see it. Seems to me the majority want more opportunity and big bulls. What's wrong with having both? It can be done if it was managed right. Our current system caters to the rich who can buy a tag every year and the few lucky ones. It's worse than once in a lifetime. Tags keep getting sucked away from the poor suckers. At this rate my kids will never draw a good tag in Utah. But they can still hunt the crap, right? That antlerless or spike should get them really excited, right? Whooooo hoooo The current system is broke but there is only one Kahuna that has any say in Utah. And they cater to the minority, in my opinion.

6x5, all I am trying to say is that a thread on Monster Muleys should not be considered a scientific study or a voice for the majority of hunters in Utah; that's all.

It sounds like you are a regular joe like me.

Just a question, who or what is the Big Kahuna that you are referring to?

Yes!! I hunted the Muzzy season last year in UT and it was amazing to be in the MNTS that time of year. Winter season rifle hunt will never be the same. Looks like archery in C and Wy from now on. Not sure I will live long enough to make it back to UT.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom