Rifle Stocks Synthetic or Wood

joesikora

Long Time Member
I have a 2007 +/- HS Precision with a synthetic stock and it weighs a ton.
I had a Remington 700 CDL before this one. Being a Carpenter and Wood lover
Nothing is more beautiful than Wood and it is lighter would it be crazy expensive to replace the synthetic stock with a wood stock?

thanks for your thoughts

I agree with that but the nicks, scratches, gouges, scrapes are your memories of the close calls the missed shots the great animals you have taken with that gun etc etc! A guy we met when Big Wein and I were trading stories of getting stuck in mud holes and the creek came up and we were soak and wet freezing all night long and we didnt get out till morning and other stories of just horrible situations that we lived to tell. The guys name was who Dave said “oh I was I had friends and stories like we had”! I said you have know idea what your saying at the time we were in horrible situations in pain and or wanting to kill our buddy that got us in this mess! Its only funny now because it’s years later! At the time it wasnt! So think of this what stories/memories you share and laugh so hard with the friends are the safe dry ones or the ones you were praying to the Dear Lord to get you out of this freezing creek?! LOL!

Another thing SRV after his death has single handedly made every one want a battered Stratocaster. EC made everyone want to purchase a Martin Acoustic Guitar after his Unplugged show! Where should I send my rifle to have to changed out without messing with the accuracy of the gun?

so i was given my uncles rem 700 rifle with an old synthetic stock from the 70’s and it shot like ****. I took the stock off and would you believe it there was a crack in stock between the magazine and forward lug. put on the original wood stock and it shot fine, then i ducked up the bedding job and well… id rather not say but it involved a chisel tired using turtle wax for release agent( an internet recommendation). now fitted with an aluminum bedded stock it shoots… the same

my grandfathers stock post 64 270 winchester model 70 shoots just fine out to 300 yards. it’s beat to shut but in my opinion looks like a firearm. as does his auto browning from the 40’s.

no recommendation from me but if it’s not broken don’t fix it

If you’re gonna drop it in one of those creeks you were talking Joe, I’d leave it like it is. But wood is much nicer to look at…….. but…….. they say there’s a lot to be said for accuracy……. Just saying.

All in, all done……. I’ve never had one warp so there is that.

Synthetic is better overall than wood in my opinion. They aren’t much to look at, but for a practical sporting rifle, they’re much better than wood. I still like the showpiece walnut stocks and I have them on 22lr and WMR bolt actions that will not see much abrasion because they go to the range and other places that don’t have a lot of foot travel or risky movements. Synthetic holds shape better than wood so there is an accuracy thing there.

Nothing cooler than seeing an old wood rifle with scratches, it's blued barrel rubbed in use areas or gun rack areas.

My dad's gun; it's been that way for 60, 70 years. Somehow he broke it, heated up some leather and tied it down with potato sack string. It does not wiggle a bit. Pictured with my first RELH knife.

Both got used this year.

Nothing is more beautiful than Wood and it is lighter would it be crazy expensive to replace the synthetic stock with a wood stock?

thanks for your

Another thing SRV after his death has single handedly made every one want a battered Stratocaster. EC made everyone want to purchase a Martin Acoustic Guitar after his Unplugged show!

Off topic, well, maybe not, but hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand? :D :D

Not a player, but love to listen to the greats! Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie, Buddy, Eddie VH, Eddie M, Gibbons. And some of the old dudes like Elmore James, John Lee Hooker. Lots of others too.

Anyway, have you ever seen this? The most bad @$$ version of the most bad @$$ guitar rock ever?

Note, don't pay any attention to the audience.

I love wood stocked rifles. They are just beautiful. I have both wood and synthetic. Yes, the synthetic is lighter and can take more abuse, but wood is just classy. My favorite rifle is a Win Model 70 Featherweight, SS in .260 Remington. It shoots great and looks great also.

thanks for your thoughts
Maybe more info is needed to answer your question ? Action/barrel size/scope/bipod.

HS Precision makes high quality stocks -a lot are fiberglass and have aluminum bedding blocks. When bedded the action screw torque can be increased to enhance accuracy. The weather won’t hurt the HS precision stocks. Wood stocks - changing weather and humidity can raise havoc on accuracy if not properly set up for it. Pillars and bedding and sealing the wood are necessary so it can be done.

If you have a good quality HS Precision stock- you might want to cut some weight somewhere else. JMO

For a general purpose hunting rifle I like my stocks just like some of our wildlife conservation groups….Fabricated, manufactured and of course Synthetic and easy to change/swap out for what ever suits it best at the time and easier to modify. But the Diva Queen guns that never leave the safe are all wood stocks and don’t go outside much. Best of luck in the draws.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom