Road Hunters, ATV's ;-(.........

the thought of lazy road hunters and annoying ATVs has pushed me into hunting only wilderness areas as well. During spring turkey over the passed three seasons, at only 5 miles in I have never seen another hunter and I have gotten a turkey each year.

I watched Roughin it outdoors on channel 2 from Salt Lake City. They were interviewing a guy there at camp and he said the only time time he got out of his jeep was to shoot a 2 point.

If they are used legally why do you care? I know that there are some A holes who mess it up but if they are legal I really dont care.
Most of the time I hunt in areas that there are no roads or access anyway. Occasionally I hunt with my small kids or dad who cant really hike in the rough stuff. We drive around and look for animals close to the road. Most of the time its just a look around and have a good time sight seeing. Hardly ever do I see something I really want to shoot.
However, if we arent doing it illegally why would anyone care anyway?

...if all those lazy assed road hunters were elbow to elbow with you on your favorite patch of wilderness you wouldn't be happy then either. Be happy they do what they do and leave all the good stuff to you.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

D13er, I agree! Let the lazy suckers ride the roads, that just means they are not back in screwing up my hunts! I wish more people would road hunt:)

Most of the time even if they shoot something its just a 2 point so let em hunt that way, leaves the bigger deer for the rest of us.

Normally, most of you illiterate, hypocritical, know it all Nimrods, don't bother me with your inexperienced drivel.

In this instance, there are many reasons some people need jeeps, ATV's and 4x4 trucks on roads, in order to hunt at all.

What business is it of yours?....especially if you are "5 miles into the wilderness"....Which I am sure is more like 1.5 miles at best.

There are more self righteous, Daniel Boone wannabe's on here than anywhere I have ever seen....I wish half of you a permanent disability this season.

I wish I could tell ya, but I am one of the extremely unlucky hunter who cant draw a NR Southern tag for the past 2 years:) I am kinda embarrassed!!

I have no problem with the hunters that hunt off of their four wheelers as long as they are on the road or a trail that is open to ATVs. I see more and more illegal use of AVTs every year. This July on a scouting trip I saw four ATVs working their way up a running stream, then while elk hunting I was about five miles into an area that is close to any motorized travel and here come a pack of "hunters" on their ATVs. I only wish I could have gotten pictures of either group or cell sevice and turned them in. I hear poeple say all the time that it's a small group out there that make the rest look bad, well in my experiences I'd have to disagree.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-09 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Wesaw more road hunters that ever. I think the good weather got everyone out. Funny thing is, we hiked no more that 500 yards from the road and didn't see another hunter.

We very few deer, so maybe they were the smart ones.

Just spent all week hunting in the middle of road hunters and we ended up killing 3 very good bucks.

Is that ethical?

My favorite road hunters are the sexy ones driving around bow hunting out of a ranger with the stereo BLASTING (trolling)...I won't lie earlier this year I had been sitting for hours without seeing anything and could see and hear these ladies turning around at my gate, yup I got up and went road hunting for a while ;-)

The road hunters in ghillie suits just make me laugh...

~Z~

So much dust where I was at my snot turned black. As another post stated no big deal though if they stayed on the road.

I hiked into some hard country and found atv folks off road.

Unfortunately, there is no wilderness within a couple of hours where I live. People who drive off the roads have turned me into a wilderness advocate.

Leave the quads and roadhunting to women, kids and the disabled, otherwise you are a lazy homo!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

If they are legal, I have no ##### and no room to talk.
I'm not talking about them.
I AM angry about those who do not obey the laws, or claim to be bird hunting to circumvent the law. I carry a cell phone and a camera for these folks.

One thing I have learned over the years is that road hunters push deer into canyons that are not very far from the roads. Most people won't get off of the ATV's or out of the truck to look into these canyons. As far as I'm concerned, these hunters push deer into my kind of hunting areas. Domestic sheep do the same thing. Thanks to all road hunters and domestic sheep that push deer into remote canyons and wilderness areas. I really appreciate your help. All joking aside, I honestly do not have a problem with law abiding road hunters. Heck I sometimes road hunt with friends who are road hunters but for myself I'm all wilderness with no roads. fatrooster.

Mostly they don't bother me. Checked out a SW Co. TH last year and guys had quaded right into the wilderness- not cool and I will take away from precious hunting time to do something about it.

Broke my ankle this year just prior to the Archery season and hunted an area within earshot of guys quadding [a word?] up and down a road. I still got into elk almost every day.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences"
Robert Green Ingersoll

Road hunting - there are those who do it and those who lie and say they don't. Just like some other things in life.

I was stalking an antelope in montana last week when a guy jumped out of the truck and shot it out from underneath me from the road. I was 300 yards from the road and the goat was headed right to me. I saw no less than 7 violations in 3 days. It was flat out stupid.I forgot to mention that the guy that shot the antelope had his kids with him. Way to teach the kids pops!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 12:00PM (MST)[p]I just got a look a look at a buck that is probably going to be in the top ten this year, if not higher. I,m sure it will show up on here soon.

Any way,, taken on public land 'Utah' right off the main dirt road through an area that can be a circus.

Wish I could give you more, but your jaws are going to drop!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-09 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]BS castnshoot there are no big bucks in Utah:)

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Perhaps conservationists among us will push for a law in our state and federal property that stipulates NO MOTORIZED ACCESS unless a sign is in place allowing for access. That will keep criminals (yes, that is what you are if you have kicked over a sign or cut open a locked gate for your lazy butt) from converting closed access points into open roads by vandalism of public property we pay for with our tax dollars. Then, if you catch a law-breaking ATVer....you get the ATV if you turn them in with evidence such as a picture with GPS location.

Is legal use of ATVs something to be proud of these days? Even legal ATV use stresses herds if the pressure keeps the herds from adequately feeding, watering and resting. Stress leads to lower birth weights and higher mortality. Is that part of sound game management?

If you are too old to hunt without harrasssing the animals then it is time to savor the memories and step to the side for hunts you can not handle without a gas-guzzling shooting platform. If you are disabled, there are ways in most states to be allowed special permission to hunt. My 2 cents.

>Perhaps conservationists among us will push
>for a law in our
>state and federal property that
>stipulates NO MOTORIZED ACCESS unless
>a sign is in place
>allowing for access. That will
>keep criminals (yes, that is
>what you are if you
>have kicked over a sign
>or cut open a locked
>gate for your lazy butt)
>from converting closed access points
>into open roads by vandalism
>of public property we pay
>for with our tax dollars.
>Then, if you catch a
>law-breaking ATVer....you get the ATV
>if you turn them in
>with evidence such as a
>picture with GPS location.
>
>Is legal use of ATVs something
>to be proud of these
>days? Even legal ATV use
>stresses herds if the pressure
>keeps the herds from adequately
>feeding, watering and resting. Stress
>leads to lower birth weights
>and higher mortality. Is that
>part of sound game management?
>
>
>If you are too old to
>hunt without harrasssing the animals
>then it is time to
>savor the memories and step
>to the side for hunts
>you can not handle without
>a gas-guzzling shooting platform. If
>you are disabled, there are
>ways in most states to
>be allowed special permission to
>hunt. My 2 cents.

.....................Well,that's 2 cents worth all right.

I totally support the fines and penalties for illegal use of any motorized vehicle on closed, or restricted land.

As to your comment about old hunters.....or disabled hunters....I find it an absolute crime that some American Serviceman became disabled today, in the name of Freedom, supporting an airhead like you. Disgusting.

It's legal. Not much You can do except hunt wilderness. Just a sad statement of the fat overweight hunter who would have a heart attack climbing any hill.They will only kill small puppies that real hunters would not even look at. They vote for gun and hunter rights. Let them b happy, fat bastards>

>
>As to your comment about old
>hunters.....or disabled hunters....I find it
>an absolute crime that some
>American Serviceman became disabled
>today, in the name of
>Freedom, supporting an airhead like
>you. Disgusting.

+1

popeyoung2,

Your comment shows your IQ to be the same as your maturity.
Unless you have something intelligent to say, you're better off keeping your pie hole shut.
Let me tell you about my road hunting experience. My grandpa wouldn't even leave camp untll daylight. Although back then you didn't really need to. We would ride to our hunting area while looking for deer. Same thing on the way back. I think he killed more big bucks that way than actual hiking.
But the best part about it was getting to spend time with him, listening to his stories, laughing the whole time.
So please don't embarass yourself with more stupid drivel.

BTW, I saw more young skinny guys roadhunting than so called fat asses.

I scouted an area 3 weekends before my daughters youth Elk and and finally found an area loaded with Elk. The Bulls were screaming but only fed in the draw early morning then worked there way back up to the thick stuff right at day light. First day of the hunt our plan was to hike up at dark and wait for the Elk to give themselves away. So we parked our truck a mile away from the draw walked in at dark only to hear not one but two atv's pull up and park at the top of one of the fingers. They then started these god awful bugles and evidently totally ignored the fact of my truck parked below them. We continued up the mountain only to have the atv's drive 350 yards in front of us once the sun came up. I waived at them jumped up and down and they still didnt see us. So we ended up giving them the mountain, and hunting another area 3 miles from this place with no success. the story ended good as we sat a water hole the next day and my daughter endep shooting a 4x4 bull with a muzzle loader. It was a great hunt that didnt start off the way I planned, but I give my wife, son and my daughter credit for being patient.

>Perhaps conservationists among us will push
>for a law in our
>state and federal property that
>stipulates NO MOTORIZED ACCESS unless
>a sign is in place
>allowing for access. That will
>keep criminals (yes, that is
>what you are if you
>have kicked over a sign
>or cut open a locked
>gate for your lazy butt)
>from converting closed access points
>into open roads by vandalism
>of public property we pay
>for with our tax dollars.
>Then, if you catch a
>law-breaking ATVer....you get the ATV
>if you turn them in
>with evidence such as a
>picture with GPS location.
>
>Is legal use of ATVs something
>to be proud of these
>days? Even legal ATV use
>stresses herds if the pressure
>keeps the herds from adequately
>feeding, watering and resting. Stress
>leads to lower birth weights
>and higher mortality. Is that
>part of sound game management?
>
>
>If you are too old to
>hunt without harrasssing the animals
>then it is time to
>savor the memories and step
>to the side for hunts
>you can not handle without
>a gas-guzzling shooting platform. If
>you are disabled, there are
>ways in most states to
>be allowed special permission to
>hunt. My 2 cents.

Here he is. Kids ever want to know what the hall monitor in elementary school becomes....this is it. "teacher, teacher we need a law, its not fair, someone has or does something I don't like so we need a law!!!" Get real. Riding a road doesn't do anything to harrass a deer. The road is there year round, the deer knows its there. You guys shed hunting, then trail cam-ing year round harrasses a lot more than some road. Time and situations catch up with you my friend. My dad hunted two years AFTER his lung cancer diagnosis and they were the two best years we had, should he of just layed down and died two years earlier? I have a 3 year old who loves to go with, does he have to stay home until he can carry a 50 pound pack? Plenty of roadless areas(I know Bill Clinton and Robert Redford are your heros) do us a favor and find one!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-09 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]+1
My grandpa was still hunting at 80 and now I take my pre-hunting age kids.
I don't road hunt most of the time, but do occasionally.
I did last night because I got a late start after work and someone was in the spot I wanted to go and it was getting late.
I am quite sure I didn't "stress the herd".

Outdoor, I hope that you don't get a debilitating injury or illness. Or do I?

LMAO "some" of you people seriously worry WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY to much about other people...if they're breaking the law call the cops and let them handle it, if they're not breaking the law let em be or go hunt elsewhere...

~Z~

first two days of the rifle season I was a road huntn mother. It was fun going out with by daughter in the bookcliffs passing bucks all day long.

wont knock a legal road hunter they will never bother me. its the illegal mothers that chap my hide.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Does anyone else find it ironic that all these self proclaimed deep backwoods Daniel Boones know so much about the activities occurring on the roads??

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Noticed that too huh?

I suppose none of you self elevated nimrods ever use a road system to glass and stalk from?

to the genius that suggested that ATV's disrupt animal habits, do you think a truck in an ATV's place is better? You better stay out of the hills too, I'm sure your disrupting the daily pattern of some poor animal.

Do you blowhards really believe the horseshit you type?

>>Perhaps conservationists among us will push
>>for a law in our
>>state and federal property that
>>stipulates NO MOTORIZED ACCESS unless
>>a sign is in place
>>allowing for access. That will
>>keep criminals (yes, that is
>>what you are if you
>>have kicked over a sign
>>or cut open a locked
>>gate for your lazy butt)
>>from converting closed access points
>>into open roads by vandalism
>>of public property we pay
>>for with our tax dollars.
>>Then, if you catch a
>>law-breaking ATVer....you get the ATV
>>if you turn them in
>>with evidence such as a
>>picture with GPS location.
>>
>>Is legal use of ATVs something
>>to be proud of these
>>days? Even legal ATV use
>>stresses herds if the pressure
>>keeps the herds from adequately
>>feeding, watering and resting. Stress
>>leads to lower birth weights
>>and higher mortality. Is that
>>part of sound game management?
>>
>>
>>If you are too old to
>>hunt without harrasssing the animals
>>then it is time to
>>savor the memories and step
>>to the side for hunts
>>you can not handle without
>>a gas-guzzling shooting platform. If
>>you are disabled, there are
>>ways in most states to
>>be allowed special permission to
>>hunt. My 2 cents.
>
>.....................Well,that's 2 cents worth all right.
>
>
> I totally support the fines
>and penalties for illegal use
>of any motorized vehicle on
>closed, or restricted land.
>
>As to your comment about old
>hunters.....or disabled hunters....I find it
>an absolute crime that some
>American Serviceman became disabled
>today, in the name of
>Freedom, supporting an airhead like
>you. Disgusting.

++++1
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

A good read!
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/starkey/
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/EOARC/researchhome/documents/630c.pdf
The point is if the road is closed to ATV'S that means it is CLOSED
TO ATV'S.
If a person wants to hunt out of his truck or off his ATV they should do it where it is legal! and not disrupt hunters that
have chosen an area with no ATV ACCESS.
Its not just ATV'S during the hunting seasons this happens all summer long ATV riders IN CLOSED AREAS!
Here is a link with forest service (Travel Access Maps)
http://maps.fs.fed.us/

www.searchaguide.com

My post was not to defend unlawful use of any motorized vehicle. The go anywhere type's piss me off too.

I find the studies at starkey humorous at best.

>
>I suppose none of you self
>elevated nimrods ever use a
>road system to glass and
>stalk from?
>

Since they deem that to not be hunting I am sure they carefully empty their magazines and store the guns, binoculars and spotters every time they are near their vehicle only resuming "hunting" once they are some specified distance from any road or trail. Surely you can't think that if a 30 inch muley was standing in the road as these guys are traveling to or from hunting that they would consider it sportsman-like to shoot it.

I came across 3 quad's about 300 yards down a "No Quad" trail. I yelled out that 4-wheelers's don't belong here and they were near enough to hear me.

Their argument was that one of us is 72 years old. I'm sorry but if your 72 and you cant walk down the trail, ride a horse down the trail or dirt bike down the trail, then you shouldn't be on the trail. And whats the excuse for the two twenty year old guys?

They claim that a Forest Service employee in Fairfield allowed them access. Doesn't matter if he did, one man doesn't make or change the laws.

Between all the quads coming down from the top on the other side and then these guys at the end of the day, I was seriously upset.

I dont mind ATV's, just use them responsibly guys. How would you like it if I rode a 4 wheeler all over your lawn and destroyed it? It feels the same way to me. Thanks for reading my rant.

I agree, 4-wheelers in closed areas should get the bessy tune up.
Dipchits that break the rules ruin it for all of us.

>Does anyone else find it ironic
>that all these self proclaimed
>deep backwoods Daniel Boones know
>so much about the activities
>occurring on the roads??
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

To funny!!

>...if all those lazy assed road
>hunters were elbow to elbow
>with you on your favorite
>patch of wilderness you wouldn't
>be happy then either. Be
>happy they do what they
>do and leave all the
>good stuff to you.
>
>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Dude I was just thinking about this exact topic on my way down the trail back to the truck this morning, you stole the reply right out of my head. having guys on the road is the best thing you ask for, pushes Deer up, keeps guys off the mountain.
2a0fcsk.gif

I had a wonderful time this spike elk hunt road hunting with my 4 year old daughter all of one day. Had another wonderful day road hunting with the best "Old Man" I have ever known, aside from Grandpa and saw some country I haven't seen in a couple years ALL FROM THE ROAD, in the comfort of my toyota. Beat the heck out of the two previous years I spent hiking the Dutton. I ruined my own hunt for sure!

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom